2014 Starting Quarterback

So, this is what we're doing now? Looking past the new guy for an even newer guy? Everyone screams for Tommy to replace Taylor, and now we're speculating on his replacement. FFS.

I never wanted Armstrong to replace a moderately healthy Taylor. Sadly Martinez isn't anywhere close to moderately healthy. I always thought Stanton would be the guy next year. Nothing from this season has given me a reason to doubt that

The way they built that kid up I felt the same way. Never thought TA would play as much as he has this year though. I still have this nagging feeling Stanton starts next year and Tommy transfers out because of it.

Oddly enough, and this should be enough in its own right to make Stanton the automatic starter next year:

Taylor Martinez started 5-0 as a starter and lost his 6th game.

Tommy Armstrong started 5-0 as a starter and lost his 6th game.

THE RESEMBLANCE IS UNCANNY!

And you never see them in the room together at the same time.

Lol.

Does Johnny have more speed then TA? I am sure we have been spoiled the last 3.5 years by TMart's elite speed at the position, but TA seems so slow when he keeps on the read option, and other designed runs.

I thought TA has been playing with a bad knee, and is expected to have surgery in the off season?

of course Taylor looked fast, he had one move, cut and run straight ahead.

Does Johnny have more speed then TA? I am sure we have been spoiled the last 3.5 years by TMart's elite speed at the position, but TA seems so slow when he keeps on the read option, and other designed runs.

I thought TA has been playing with a bad knee, and is expected to have surgery in the off season?

He had that surgery last year but rumor/speculation is that he's still not back to 100% from it.

the 6 games we have seen of a freshman QB is not enough to say a great deal about where he will go from here. But some things can already be said with some level of confidence. First, TA seemingly does not possess any "extraordinary" attributes. Many freshman QB's instantly place on display something special. For example, TMart had that legendary first step and running ability that was clear immediately. Others have had special skills on display immediately. Armstrong has no immediately obvious extraordinary attributes. A second thing already clear is that TA is really not a dual threat QB --- he is not a good runner (perhaps he is still hindered with his knee?).

Now... he might progress in many areas and be anything from a serviceable QB to a really good college QB. Time will tell.

Stanton we know nothing about yet. Could he pass TA? Sure. Might he be essentially equal to TA? Again sure. Or he could be lesser. Again... time will tell.

Tommy is a good runner, displays tremendous poise, runs the option with dexterity. Taylor had speed and burst, but not running ability in the sense that he looked like a RB out there who could navigate between the tackles through traffic. In Tommy we're seeing a QB who can do that, and in our offense, that's big.

He also has a hell of an arm. So I'd say he's pretty much the definition of a true dual threat....provided he can settle into his game and learn to read defenses. I think we agree that this is a big unknown, but his raw skills are that of the dual threat QB.

I've seen enough of Tommie Armstrong in just 6 games to say with confidence that I hope Johnny Stanton is our starter next year.

What have you seen of Stanton to justify that hope?

Besides all of Armstrong's turnovers you mean?

Armstrong's turnovers are a mark against him, but what definitive things have you seen that convince you Johnny should start...the fact he hasn't played one down and therefore has not had any turnovers? I'm not arguing that Tommy had/has problems, but there is no justification for flat out stating that Johnny should start. Could even be worse, we don't know.

i was hoping we weren't going to go full retard...

I know this has been brought up before, so I'll respectfully submit this. Perhaps you aren't aware, which is understandable, or you don't care, which is your choice. But the "R" word is every bit as detestable and socially unacceptable as the "N" word. Please seek to find a new insult, as there are a plethora to choose from that don't denigrate a whole segment of society. I work for an organization that provides supports for, and advocates for, those with intellectual challenges, so I am an avid participant in the campaign to eliminate this word from the public lexicon. I know we will not be successful, but I do ask for your help. Thanks.

• Fire 1

I know this has been brought up before, so I'll respectfully submit this. Perhaps you aren't aware, which is understandable, or you don't care, which is your choice. But the "R" word is every bit as detestable and socially unacceptable as the "N" word. Please seek to find a new insult, as there are a plethora to choose from that don't denigrate a whole segment of society. I work for an organization that provides supports for, and advocates for, those with intellectual challenges, so I am an avid participant in the campaign to eliminate this word from the public lexicon. I know we will not be successful, but I do ask for your help. Thanks.

I appreciate you being respectful about it (even though I wasn't) and am glad for the message.

I was annoyed and trying to get some laughs and attention with a funny, hip, clever movie reference. Literally the only time I can remember using that word in years, and it was in bad taste and I shouldn't have.

I appreciate you being respectful about it (even though I wasn't) and am glad for the message.

I was annoyed and trying to get some laughs and attention with a funny, hip, clever movie reference. Literally the only time I can remember using that word in years, and it was in bad taste and I shouldn't have.

So, I"m not hip at all...what movie?