lets talk about officials

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

That's not true. The referees can't be used as an excuse (and nobody is) but they can still be critiqued.

I have the game on DVR and there are about ten plays I want to see again. Most of them have been mentioned here.

One thing I couldn't tell from the cheap seats, but why was Stanley's INT overturned? I know the ball hit the ground, but did he not maintain solid possession of it? It's a catch even if the ball touches the ground if he doesn't lose his grip when it hits.

Didn't see it, but a girl next to me was listening to the radio on headphones and Matt Davison was saying there was absolutely no way it was a catch.

Honestly, if Stanley gets that ball, or if Jason Ankrah got one of his two, I think we win.

Nah it was the right call. Never had it.

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

That's not true. The referees can't be used as an excuse (and nobody is) but they can still be critiqued.

I have the game on DVR and there are about ten plays I want to see again. Most of them have been mentioned here.

One thing I couldn't tell from the cheap seats, but why was Stanley's INT overturned? I know the ball hit the ground, but did he not maintain solid possession of it? It's a catch even if the ball touches the ground if he doesn't lose his grip when it hits.

It might not have shown in the stadium, but there was an end zone camera that caught that play perfectly. Stanley bobbled the ball and it fell through his hands, then he trapped it.

On a fake field goal, is the holder allowed to catch the ball with his knee on the ground? Because the holder caught it, knee down, then tossed the ball to the kicker... Shouldn't that have been down at the spot? Would have been a game changer, I think it was a missed call.

He is allowed - but he didn't toss the ball to the kicker, he ran it himself. But that is an exception of a rule, that the holder is allowed to have possession with a knee down. Remember our fake field goal attempt with Alex Henery back in 2008 where Jake Wesch flipped it over his head?

The officials sucked consistently against both teams - not just ours.

I will say, though, that the student section's constant, unending, incessant booing was beyond hilarious. I was laughing for a long time while that was going on.

you're welcome.

I was in there too dork :) helping pereptuate it as much as I could because it was the funniest thing I'd been a part of at a sporting event in a long time.

Oh i thought you said you weren't going to pay validation? My friend did and went with me. I feel kind of bad I had him come in the student section and ended up spending $75 when we could have found regular seats for much less.

Oh i thought you said you weren't going to pay validation? My friend did and went with me. I feel kind of bad I had him come in the student section and ended up spending $75 when we could have found regular seats for much less.

My roommate couldn't go and is a student, so I just used his N card. Free games are the best games.

The punt being downed was questionable in my opinion. Apparently if you make initial contact with one foot in the endzone then hop back out it counts as downing it. The block in the back that wasn't called was obviously costly. The PI wasn't going to get called and coaches know that, which is why they teach the defender to play that way. Overall there wasn't much for controversy. We just pissed it down our leg as usual. Without the turnovers I think we win that game by 10 points, but who knows for sure...

According to the following rule, the punt should have been ruled a touchback. The ball appeared to me to cross the plane of the goal. This rule was obtained from the provided link.

"Team A's untouched scrimmage kick strikes the ground in the field of play and breaks the plane of Team B's goal line. While the ball is in the air over the end zone, A81, who is either on the one-yard line or in the end zone, bats the ball into the field of play. RULING: Violation for illegal touching (Rule 6-3-11). Team B may accept the result of the play or next snap the ball at its 20 yard line (Exception rule 8-4-2-b).

http://www.dfoa.com/...l_Rule_Book.pdf

Looked close to me, at least on tv. Not when he initially caught it, but when he tried to toss it back, it looked like his momentum carried him across the goal line and the ball may have been over the line before he released it. But his back was to the camera and if you were in the student section, Landlord, you obviously had a much better view of it than I did.

And I always forget the rules between college and the NFL for having to be established in the field of play to down the ball or not, because the second guy appeared to touch the ball before he had re-established himself in the field of play.

I don't think the ball ever broke the plane, but the MSU player was definitely standing on the goal line when he touched the ball.

I don't the rule but I sure that made it a touchback. But they showed it several times and the announcers never made mention of it. And Bo didn't seem to do anything, so maybe it was OK.

Bo said in the postgame presser he didn't have a good look at it, and the guys in the booth looking at the replay said it would be tough to overturn. Basically said whatever call they made on the field would stand - inconclusive either way.

I don't think the ball ever broke the plane, but the MSU player was definitely standing on the goal line when he touched the ball.

I don't the rule but I sure that made it a touchback. But they showed it several times and the announcers never made mention of it. And Bo didn't seem to do anything, so maybe it was OK.

Bo said in the postgame presser he didn't have a good look at it, and the guys in the booth looking at the replay said it would be tough to overturn. Basically said whatever call they made on the field would stand - inconclusive either way.

If the rule is that it's a touchback if a player touches it whilst standing in the endzone, then it wasn't tough at all - he was obviously standing on the line. But apparently you can do that if the ball isn't over the plane as well?

I have no idea. I'm tired. Whatever.

I disagree. I thought it was obvious. That was huge, obviously. We made it huge by butt-fumbling it out to the 3.