lets talk about officials

There was a similar play to the downed kick in the Gopher game against Penn State and the commentators clarified the ruling. It was a brilliant athletic play, same as the one in the game today.

Basically they explained it this way: Once the ball crosses the plane of the endzone, then it is a touch back. It doesn't matter if a player from the kicking team is in the endzone in any manner, so long as he keeps the ball from crossing the plane and then he or one of his teammates downs the ball in play.

Here is the best replay of the Gopher kick I can find quickly:

On the punt return it's where the BALL is not where the players feet/foot are

This post makes no sense at all. Was it supposed to?

Yes everybody was questioning the Michigan States players foot touching the endzone while he touched the ball. It doesn't matter where his body is at whether it's on the endzone or in the endzone it matters where the ball is.

Make sense now?!?!?!

Yes everybody was questioning the Michigan States players foot touching the endzone while he touched the ball. It doesn't matter where his body is at whether it's on the endzone or in the endzone it matters where the ball is.

Make sense now?!?!?!

Yes it does. Sorry. I have many complaints about the idiot cheating refs today but that is not one of them ;)

The spot on the third down pass might have been one of the worst I've seen all year long. Isn't a spot challengable? I thought it was interesting that even though the announcers commented on the spot, they never showed it again in slow motion (if at all, I can't remember for certain). They also shorted Ameer on the other sideline on a run towards the stick, it looked like the stepped out right at the marker but they spotted him a yard back. I don't think that one actually ended up making a difference but it was still another bad one.

Yes a spot can be challenged. And Bo the idiot never trys and wins one.

BTW...any time you play a PAC 12 team you will get no end of bad spots (watch serious non con games next year you will see it easy and somewhat inline Wiscy got the "treatment" this year at ASU

Was it a Pac12 crew because that explains it all.

And I thought grounding was a spot foul loss of down...

The spot on the third down pass might have been one of the worst I've seen all year long. Isn't a spot challengable? I thought it was interesting that even though the announcers commented on the spot, they never showed it again in slow motion (if at all, I can't remember for certain). They also shorted Ameer on the other sideline on a run towards the stick, it looked like the stepped out right at the marker but they spotted him a yard back. I don't think that one actually ended up making a difference but it was still another bad one.

Yes a spot can be challenged. And Bo the idiot never trys and wins one.

BTW...any time you play a PAC 12 team you will get no end of bad spots (watch serious non con games next year you will see it easy and somewhat inline Wiscy got the "treatment" this year at ASU

Was it a Pac12 crew because that explains it all.

And I thought grounding was a spot foul loss of down...

ONe more try...be conprehensible

Make sense now?!?!?!

Yes it does. Sorry. I have many complaints about the idiot cheating refs today but that is not one of them ;)

I agree

I believe they waived off 3 or 4 flags against MSU

Op said the michigan Ineligible downfield was questionable....

No it wasn't, watch thebreplay....left tackle was 12 yards downfield.

The punt downed at the one was attrotious but shouldn't have happened as the intentional grounding being waved off was unbelievable.....5 yards behind the stick. Wow

The kick catch interference, picked up Flagg on dennard, those two previously mentioned, and horrid spot foul on 3rd and 6. All of which leaD to msu scores or killed a highly probably nu score.

Rough game for officiating. Not saying we Ron but hate the "what if" factor that's out there.

I don't think the ball ever broke the plane, but the MSU player was definitely standing on the goal line when he touched the ball.

I don't the rule but I sure that made it a touchback. But they showed it several times and the announcers never made mention of it. And Bo didn't seem to do anything, so maybe it was OK.

The college rule is different than the NFL rule. In college the player can be in the endzone and touch the ball, the ball just can't touch the goalline or it is a touchback. Not like in the NFL where if you are in the endzone and touch the ball it is a touchback.

On a fake field goal, is the holder allowed to catch the ball with his knee on the ground? Because the holder caught it, knee down, then tossed the ball to the kicker... Shouldn't that have been down at the spot? Would have been a game changer, I think it was a missed call.

Yes, he is the only player who can have a knee down and then come up and run or pass.

On the fake field goal, does anyone else see the ball come loose at the end of the play, and Gregory comes up with it?

I'm surprised they didn't even give it a second look.

Technically the kicker was on top of other players and not down but I would guess it would be forward progress. It's hard to overturn that, it's kinda like the Iowa State game.

There were many calls that could have went either way. I think the PI on Quincy could have went either way, letting the kids play but yes if the Michigan State player didn't have his arm on Q I bet he would have caught it.

I do NOT know how the block in the back on the punt wasn't called. It was right in front of the ref....that was a huge momentum swing. I think we would have held them and gotten the ball back in great field position. But nothing we can do about it.