lets talk about officials

Not going to say they lost us the game, but the waived grounding was just mystifying. The ball was so far behind the LOS that it wasn't even a judgement call.

I just reviewed the grounding play and found that the Head Linesman went over to the Line Judge and asked him if the ball crossed the line of scrimmage and he apparently answered in the affirmative. I noticed that the Line Judge was five yards behind the line of scrimmage when the ball was released by the quarterback. The ball did get to where he was, but certainly did not cross the line of scrimmage on the fly.

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

No, terrible calls are terrible no matter what. The worst call I saw the whole day was Alabama vs. MSU. MSU guy picks the ball off but his first foot lands a full yard out of bounds, they called it good and didn't review it. It was like the old out of bounds PSU catch except in high def with reviewable plays. Didn't have much of an effect on that game, but terrible call that I can bitch about.

I mean no offense jumping in here with my team lucky enough to escape with the win. Also, I was very happy to see that the teams were mostly friendly, helping guys up, etc.

The bad spot - was a really bad spot. It looked like it should have required a measurement.

The punt downed at the 1; the ball was very close to crossing the plane - so I guess there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it.

The fair catch signals given by returners on both sides were not by the rule book. But the announcers said that officials tend not to be very strict about it. The MSU returner was pretty clearly just standing there - but the tackler didn't light him up either so it wasn't mean spirited.

There were a couple that I thought went the husker's way (don't kill me):

The overthrown touchdown pass MSU threw early in the game was called out of bounds at the back of the end zone. I've watched it frame by frame and am convinced it was a catch. But it was very very close with the toe of his foot in bounds and his heel over line, so I can't really complain about it.

The offensive pass interference called on MSU on a sideline route was plainly a bad call. It appeared as if the receiver pushed the defender at the end of the route, but if you watch in slow motion the defender falls away because he was holding onto the receiver's jersey and lost his grip - no push off at all. If anything the defender should have drawn the flag.

In the end, there were some close and bad calls - but the game felt felt pretty fair.

Five turnovers forfeit all rights to referee bitching.

That's not true. The referees can't be used as an excuse (and nobody is) but they can still be critiqued.

I have the game on DVR and there are about ten plays I want to see again. Most of them have been mentioned here.

One thing I couldn't tell from the cheap seats, but why was Stanley's INT overturned? I know the ball hit the ground, but did he not maintain solid possession of it? It's a catch even if the ball touches the ground if he doesn't lose his grip when it hits.

Didn't see it, but a girl next to me was listening to the radio on headphones and Matt Davison was saying there was absolutely no way it was a catch.

Honestly, if Stanley gets that ball, or if Jason Ankrah got one of his two, I think we win.

Nah it was the right call. Never had it.

Yep.....

http://scores.espn.g...8#photo_3398718

I mean no offense jumping in here with my team lucky enough to escape with the win. Also, I was very happy to see that the teams were mostly friendly, helping guys up, etc.

The bad spot - was a really bad spot. It looked like it should have required a measurement.

The punt downed at the 1; the ball was very close to crossing the plane - so I guess there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it.

The fair catch signals given by returners on both sides were not by the rule book. But the announcers said that officials tend not to be very strict about it. The MSU returner was pretty clearly just standing there - but the tackler didn't light him up either so it wasn't mean spirited.

There were a couple that I thought went the husker's way (don't kill me):

The overthrown touchdown pass MSU threw early in the game was called out of bounds at the back of the end zone. I've watched it frame by frame and am convinced it was a catch. But it was very very close with the toe of his foot in bounds and his heel over line, so I can't really complain about it.

The offensive pass interference called on MSU on a sideline route was plainly a bad call. It appeared as if the receiver pushed the defender at the end of the route, but if you watch in slow motion the defender falls away because he was holding onto the receiver's jersey and lost his grip - no push off at all. If anything the defender should have drawn the flag.

In the end, there were some close and bad calls - but the game felt felt pretty fair.

The near touchdown catch early on wasn't a catch. They called it no catch, reviewed it, and still said it was no catch. It should have been an easy TD no doubt but I can't say it was a bad call. The OPI I can't recall so I won't comment on that. The only truly bad call against Mich st that sticks out to me was the illegal man downfield call near the end. Didn't see that one at all. Credit to your players for overcoming that one.

I certainly wouldnt say the officiating felt fair but in the end it was the turnovers that lost the game not the refs.