Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

Totally agree accountability, Nebraska needs to innovate or die. My problem is, we seem to be content with, "times have changed, we can't do what we did.".

That's loser talk, and shouldn't be at all acceptable.

It will take work, luck, and risk to fix this. Fortunately, Nebraska sold that as an image for a quarter century. Time to put actions behind the talk. Though it's been time for that for a decade, in all reality.

I nominate NUPolo8 to come up with this innovative idea and pitch it to the University of Nebraska. He seems like just the person to do that since he has all the answers.

Really man? Ultimate cop out.

A University with the commitment to winning that Nebraska has doesn't have the resources to hire a guy to try and find a new way? And it's somehow my fault as an alumni, booster and fan that I can't think of the magic bullet for free to a bunch of defeatists on a message board? Ok man. You win. I hope you all wave your black participation ribbons to fire up the team for their next big home game loss against a team with a pulse.

But you seem to have all the answers to all the problems of this program. You could be the guy to bring us back to the promise land. You'd be an innovative genius and an instant millionaire.

I nominate NUPolo8 to come up with this innovative idea and pitch it to the University of Nebraska. He seems like just the person to do that since he has all the answers.

Really man? Ultimate cop out.

A University with the commitment to winning that Nebraska has doesn't have the resources to hire a guy to try and find a new way? And it's somehow my fault as an alumni, booster and fan that I can't think of the magic bullet for free to a bunch of defeatists on a message board? Ok man. You win. I hope you all wave your black participation ribbons to fire up the team for their next big home game loss against a team with a pulse.

But you seem to have all the answers to all the problems of this program. You could be the guy to bring us back to the promise land. You'd be an innovative genius and an instant millionaire.

Right. I remember all the times I begged to be hired in my comments.

Totally agree accountability, Nebraska needs to innovate or die. My problem is, we seem to be content with, "times have changed, we can't do what we did.".

It will take work, luck, and risk to fix this. Fortunately, Nebraska sold that as an image for a quarter century. Time to put actions behind the talk. Though it's been time for that for a decade, in all reality.

We're a little off in that I think we're pretty much just agreeing.

I agree with the bold. But I'm just also trying to point out that it just isnt as simple as saying we need to do this and this and we'll be rolling for another 20 years.

One thing I do think we need to do is offensively get back to basic, conventional football. Watching USC beat Stanford last night and watching how 'Bama plays, and seeing how teams like Wisconsin and even the powergame that Ohio St tends to play with a lot, I think we're seeing the earliest stages of a gradual shift back to more conventional style of offenses. This whole spread gimmick and up tempo stuff I believe has all but run its course in the game of football. Sure the concepts will still be there, but the way that Oregon is doing it? I dont know. I just see more and more of the elite teams playing ball the way it's meant to be played. The game transitioned into a speed game when folks could no longer run over people. They had to find a way to run around them. Well the defenses transitioned to catch up. now you see teams that are starting to evolve back to a more "run over" mentality. i think we're on the brink of the next philosophy shift of offense in college football. We need to get ahead of the curve and start building to that and make it an identity.

I think we can try and do what we did in the past to make us as successful as we were, but I don't think we should believe that doing the exact same thing is going to net us the exact same results.

I think we can try and do what we did in the past to make us as successful as we were, but I don't think we should believe that doing the exact same thing is going to net us the exact same results.

Yes. Pretty much exactly what I'm saying.

Basically (and this is to accountability too) Nebraska needs to get better. And there's options open to do so.

Oh, definitely. This isn't the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There are things we do well and have done well, like the walk-on program, that definitely need to stay a part of this program. But some things have to change.

First of all, I feel we need to really start focusing on recruiting, as obvious as that is. Recruiting certainly isn't a fix-all, I feel player development is honestly more important, but you need to try to get as much talent to work with at the start so you can build these players into football machines. Instead of a defense with one guy like Gregory, imagine a defense with two or three of them, it creates a whole new dynamic and turns our defense into a powerhouse. You basically want one really good player in each area, 1 really good secondary player, one really good linebacker, one really good lineman, that forces the opposing offense to focus on them, and let's the others come in for the kill. Same goes for offense: 1 really good wide receiver, 1 really good backfielder, 1 really good lineman. At least that's my sh**ty little theory.

Yes. Pretty much exactly what I'm saying.

Basically (and this is to accountability too) Nebraska needs to get better. And there's options open to do so.

"Nebraska needs to get better," is such a blanket statement. Nebraska is pretty good at some areas, and pretty bad in some areas. Before we try to find a solution, we have to find where we are lacking.

Oh, definitely. This isn't the 70s, 80s, and 90s. There are things we do well and have done well, like the walk-on program, that definitely need to stay a part of this program. But some things have to change.

First of all, I feel we need to really start focusing on recruiting, as obvious as that is. Recruiting certainly isn't a fix-all, I feel player development is honestly more important, but you need to try to get as much talent to work with at the start so you can build these players into football machines. Instead of a defense with one guy like Gregory, imagine a defense with two or three of them, it creates a whole new dynamic and turns our defense into a powerhouse. You basically want one really good player in each area, 1 really good secondary player, one really good linebacker, one really good lineman, that forces the opposing offense to focus on them, and let's the others come in for the kill. Same goes for offense: 1 really good wide receiver, 1 really good backfielder, 1 really good lineman. At least that's my sh**ty little theory.

RG44, Michael Rose, SJB

Kenny Bell/QE/Westercamp, AA, Spencer Long

We already have those players on the roster.

RG44, Michael Rose, SJB

Kenny Bell/QE/Westercamp, AA, Spencer Long

We already have those players on the roster.

Fair points, fair points all.

I stand by what I said about recruiting. This program could use a 5-star or two.