Recruiting for the QB spot?

Back to the QBs...

Got to say, I am simply not buying that Stanton is as good of a passer as he is a runner. The nickname means his reputation is as a tough runner, not as a passer.

If he ran like Tebow and had impressive throwing ability to go with it... he would have received higher ratings from the recruiting services. Rivals indicated he was a three star. We tried for higher rated QBs and struck out so we went for Stanton.

Now he might turn out to be a great QB. Hard to tell as we haven't seen him. But the book on him says RUNNER first and passer second.

Don't care about stars, or the Elite 11 for that matter. He was not a very good passer in high school. Doesn't mean he can't improve, and it also doesn't mean he can't be a very good college player despite average arm ability. Decision making, leadership, and timely play making are what put quarterbacks over the top, and I think Johnny can bring that. Tebow's a good comparison, but I think Rex Burkhead at the quarterback position. Nothing that blows you away, but someone who just makes plays that win games. As far as recruiting qbs, I love Darlington, don't think Flowers is best suited at quarterback, and wish we would've given Stick an offer. He's much better than Fyfe (who I saw several times in high school and was really impressed), Kellogg, and Marsh (who we offered a grayshirt if I remember correctly).

Back to the QBs...

Got to say, I am simply not buying that Stanton is as good of a passer as he is a runner. The nickname means his reputation is as a tough runner, not as a passer.

If he ran like Tebow and had impressive throwing ability to go with it... he would have received higher ratings from the recruiting services. Rivals indicated he was a three star. We tried for higher rated QBs and struck out so we went for Stanton.

Now he might turn out to be a great QB. Hard to tell as we haven't seen him. But the book on him says RUNNER first and passer second.

Don't care about stars, or the Elite 11 for that matter. He was not a very good passer in high school. Doesn't mean he can't improve, and it also doesn't mean he can't be a very good college player despite average arm ability. Decision making, leadership, and timely play making are what put quarterbacks over the top, and I think Johnny can bring that. Tebow's a good comparison, but I think Rex Burkhead at the quarterback position. Nothing that blows you away, but someone who just makes plays that win games. As far as recruiting qbs, I love Darlington, don't think Flowers is best suited at quarterback, and wish we would've given Stick an offer. He's much better than Fyfe (who I saw several times in high school and was really impressed), Kellogg, and Marsh (who we offered a grayshirt if I remember correctly).

What are you basing this on? That he didn't throw for a lot of yards?

He threw for 2400 yards as a junior in a running offense. His senior year, he was completing 66% of his passes with 11 TDs and 3 INTs before he got hurt. By all accounts, he has been a very accurate passer in practice this year. So I'm left to assume that you're just set on talking him down.

• Fire 1

Back to the QBs...

What are you basing this on? That he didn't throw for a lot of yards?

He threw for 2400 yards as a junior in a running offense. His senior year, he was completing 66% of his passes with 11 TDs and 3 INTs before he got hurt. By all accounts, he has been a very accurate passer in practice this year. So I'm left to assume that you're just set on talking him down.

Basing it off of what I see. His footwork is terrible, the arm motion is obviously not great, he lacks real zip on anything, and his accuracy is really spotty past about 10 yards. Again, not saying he's going to be terrible, or an ineffective passer. I actually think he could be a really good player, and in this offense you don't have to be anything special as a passer to be effective, i.e. lot's of screens, short passes, easy throws etc. Watch this whole video and tell me outside of maybe 1-2 throws that are bigtime. His final stats are impressive, but about 90% of the yards came from easy 0-10 yard throws with a ton of YAC.

http://www.youtube....h?v=FTnUlbss8u4