Bo's Future - - I'm Happy with Him Staying

After the Minnesota debacle, I was all for running Bo out of town. However, the last 3 weeks have shown me that I just emotionally overreacted. Bo was not responsible for those 5 turnovers yesterday. We could have beaten Bama if they would have given us 5 turnovers. The reality is that those 5 turnovers were simply the result of an overzealous, rookie QB. However, today's miscues will be tomorrow's gain.

When I stop and look at our program, we are not that far away. We keep winning 9 games a year. Yes, I want more, but we are on the right track. I am most pleased that Bo has made major changes in the last three weeks. Moreover, this year has been better. With Garrison as OL coach, we have gotten substantially better. We have tons of talent in the wings. We are almost there.

Things could be worse: We could be Tennessee, Colorado, Washington, Syracuse, or any other team that used to have a pulse but don't have anything close to it. Bo has saved us from that. Truth be told, I'd give Bo three more years to make us a top ten team. I think he can do it. There are so many reasons to be optimistic for the future. Le'ts win the next two games, and then hopefully we'll play Texas in whatever that Arizona bowl is called. If we ended the year with beating Texas, this will have been a good year.

• Fire 3

When one players has a bad day, its the players issue. When the entire offense was playing like sh#t (not Ameer), its on the coaches. Lastly, Bo hasn't saved us from anything. We are consistently out of the top 25 in both ranking and recruiting, we get blown out when playing anyone worth mentioning, we haven't won a championship in 6 years, failed to make it to any BCS games - he has cruised the ship into mediocrity. Other than winning our Division once in the last 3 years, we are no better than Tennessee.

After your in the bag comments, I tend to question most of what you say. Just teasing man.

Most when drowning try to grab onto anything that will save them, he is so far in over his head it is not funny. He runs a good, clean program, makes kids into men, but fails to teach the basics of football.

I would give him one more year, with the stipulation, he wins the division and is respectable in the CCG. That is the minimum I would take if it were my decision. NO long term promises for any reason. He is not going anywhere, no one would hire him the BCS level.

I am at a crossroads. When looking at this season alone, with youth and injuries, I see improvement on D. Even with a patchwork OL, we put up 400 yrds on the "best" D in the country yesterday, IIRC the 1st 100 yrd rusher, the longest run, most points etc.....and with only giving AA the ball twice in the 4th quarter. Looking at that, I see improvement.

BUT looking at the body of work over 6 years, I see an offense that implodes, a team that at times collapses after the kick in the balls shots, penalties, lack of basic pop warner skills, horrific (non-existent special teams) and constantly being out coached, biggest defensive melt downs in school history, embarrassed on the regular in big games etc......

I like Bo. He is a character guy. He stresses life skills over ball skills. Holds guys accountable.

For me, I am where I was with Frank in 2002. Fire some guys or fire Frank. Frank fired Bohls and IMO, we improved enough we should have kept him. I almost feel that way now. Bring in a guy who can coach ST. Get an OC who has coached a system before. Not a guy making one up and learning as he goes. Bring in a guy who brings an identity. IMO, we have lost more games where the OC was a factor than the DC. On D, guys not executing, on O Beck's own admissions about him making wrong calls, going away from what works etc.....

None of those turnovers yesterday were on these coaches. The only questionable one was running Newby on that option 3 plays into the game when I honestly cant remember seeing Newby and Tommy run it all year long. The timing and pitch location is something that takes a lot of work. Can't blame it on the coaches though still.

The things I see are deeper than just on the filed stuff. There's something just culturally wrong here IMO. Something just off. The comments from coaches and players. Nobody seems to have a clear answer for anything. The coaches can't explain the issues, let alone fix them. The players effort and attitude seem lackadaisical at times. I think the players are mentally exhausted. I think the,players focus too much on outside noise, much like their head coach. I think Bos inexperience shines through too often and he only adds to the damage with the inexperience he surrounds himself with.

You could keep Bo and make some assistant changes, but would,that solve some of these mental,things? I doubt it. Bo is often an emotional roller coaster and his team is much the same. You never know what to expect anymore.

But.....we do win 9 games a year.

A year ago Id agreed without thinking about it. But it's hard for me now. And that's sad. Cuz I'm proud of Bo for everything he's done here and doing it the right way. He so much improved his public character and such. Recruiting is on the rise. Re-watching the game and seeing how our guys played and then putting into the perspective that theyre all so young, what will they look like in a couple years? But that's where I run into a fork in the road. At this point, even 2-3 years from now, I still cant see anything better than 9-10 wins, with a couple bad losses to equal or better competition, as well a loss to someone we're not supposed to lose to (although the Minnesota loss this year is looking more and more debateable as to whether or not it can qualify as such). The fact that this teams comes out and just completely sh#ts themselves time and time again is disturbing. Remeber the Wisconsin game last year? First play of the game Taylor fumbles the snap. First play, fumbles, the most basic part of football. Then literally 3 plays later, our star running back coughs it up and it's 14-0 before I get my first bite out of my runza. Same thing yesterday. We did in the first half dozen play twice what we couldnt afford to do all day. Why does it keep happening? Why do we continue to shake our heads at this kind of boneheaded stuff. I know the argument that Bo cant catch and run and hold onto the ball for them, but at some point, the staff as to put more emphasis on these fundamentals. Just by our style of play and the way we have issues with ball security and tackling and such, it's just so clear to me that we spend too much time trying to be technical and multiple and working on so much in the x's and o's category that things like ball security, tackling, special teams, and moreso in the past, penalties, are just kinda kicked under the rug.

Obviously these last two games are critical. But Bo's guys have alway responded. I predict two more wins to get to 9, and maybe a bowl win for 10. No way in hell can we get rid of Bo for that. With the youth on this team that's still a decent season. But looking back on how we lost these games thus far is just concerning moving forward. We're in year 6 of a neutral rut. At some point, it's gonna progress or regress. At some point young guys are look at us and say "I dont think I want to play there, cuz that staff cant get the team to be mentally ready to even execute the basics on the big stage".

Bottom line is, these little things need to get fixed. If not, it will be Bo's undoing. That's not my call to make. I dont even know what I want anymore. it's just so damn awkward right now. I was a Bo lover from day one. UCLA hurt. Minnesota pretty much did me in. Then we saw some more potential. Then yesterday happened, yet again saw the flashes of brilliance despite the ridiculous turnovers. The inability to execute the basics has held this team back for 6 years now. That has to be addressed one way or another, or, potential or not, talent or not, we're gonna be right back here one year from now, two years from now, and even three probably, debating the same exact issues following another 9-10 wins and 4 stupid looking losses. At some the, we gotta get over the hump. That's Bo's issues this offseason. Emphasis on the little things.

When one players has a bad day, its the players issue. When the entire offense was playing like sh#t (not Ameer), its on the coaches. Lastly, Bo hasn't saved us from anything. We are consistently out of the top 25 in both ranking and recruiting, we get blown out when playing anyone worth mentioning, we haven't won a championship in 6 years, failed to make it to any BCS games - he has cruised the ship into mediocrity. Other than winning our Division once in the last 3 years, we are no better than Tennessee.

The whole offense played like sh#t? Offensive line opened up holes for Ameer and I can't remember a sack being given up, so they played pretty well. Kenny Bell and Sam Burtch had nice games. Imani only had three carries, one of which was a 51 yard TD run. Tommy Armstrong is really the only player on offense that played poorly. Four out of the five turnovers were on him.

I don't like blaming certain players for the loss and it was by no means his fault we lost, but when you say the entire offense played like sh#t, its just an ignorant statement.

I do not see this continuing. These melt downs are having an affect on the fans. This group is not indicative of the fan base. We are more involved, more attached than the normal fan. This is part of our daily lives. Most are not this deep into the program or team. That is what worries me.

Will the average fan continue to support this program, sell out the stadium week after week, travel to lessor bowl games. This is where the AD needs to understand the total situation. Can we wait three years, two years or ten minutes. I talk to a lot of Nebraska fans here in SoCal, and nearly every single one, wants Bo gone, years ago. Is that the way it is in the average fan household? I really do not know.

I hate to see us start over. I would truly hate to see us fire a ten win coach. But are we only looking for ten wins or are we still wanting to in the MNC hunt? I think the latter is the goal for most, and most do not feel we are getting closer to that.

After the Minnesota debacle, I was all for running Bo out of town. However, the last 3 weeks have shown me that I just emotionally overreacted. Bo was not responsible for those 5 turnovers yesterday. We could have beaten Bama if they would have given us 5 turnovers. The reality is that those 5 turnovers were simply the result of an overzealous, rookie QB. However, today's miscues will be tomorrow's gain.

When I stop and look at our program, we are not that far away. We keep winning 9 games a year. Yes, I want more, but we are on the right track. I am most pleased that Bo has made major changes in the last three weeks. Moreover, this year has been better. With Garrison as OL coach, we have gotten substantially better. We have tons of talent in the wings. We are almost there.

Things could be worse: We could be Tennessee, Colorado, Washington, Syracuse, or any other team that used to have a pulse but don't have anything close to it. Bo has saved us from that. Truth be told, I'd give Bo three more years to make us a top ten team. I think he can do it. There are so many reasons to be optimistic for the future. Le'ts win the next two games, and then hopefully we'll play Texas in whatever that Arizona bowl is called. If we ended the year with beating Texas, this will have been a good year.

Amen. +1

. I talk to a lot of Nebraska fans here in SoCal, and nearly every single one, wants Bo gone, years ago. Is that the way it is in the average fan household? I really do not know.

I talk to a lot of Nebraska fans as well. Most I talk to are not for firing Bo after this season. I go back and forth myself. At this point, Im for letting him stay.

My biggest concern is, if a continual 9-10 game winner is fired, who are you going to get? Its a tough decision.

False statement. Don't start blaming this on recruiting.