Walmart and Corporate Greed

Junior

do people really not get it yet? the reason the rich are so rich is because of their tax breaks and the tax burdens on everyone else. the corporate heads at mcdonald's and walmart make a ton of money by having the gov't subsidize their employees and then avoiding any tax burdens themselves. this is just another example of a multinational corporation asking other people to pick up the slack and do the decent thing because they refuse to.

• Fire 3

do people really not get it yet? the reason the rich are so rich is because of their tax breaks and the tax burdens on everyone else. the corporate heads at mcdonald's and walmart make a ton of money by having the gov't subsidize their employees and then avoiding any tax burdens themselves. this is just another example of a multinational corporation asking other people to pick up the slack and do the decent thing because they refuse to.

Buuuuttttt.......This isn't about Corporate Walmart.

How many of you readily eat up the 'story' fed to you by slate and thinkprogress?

Read the ABC article Carlfense posted.

Put on your critical thinking caps, and you'll figure out the real story behind the propaganda.

The top 3/4 of that story is based on information provided by Walmart’s Senior Manager of Communications, Kory Lundberg out of corporate in Bentonville.

Is it better to "readily eat up" the "story" fed to you by Wal-Mart? Is that "critical thinking?" Or is that, perhaps, more propaganda.

• Fire 1

Critical thinking is taking the facts from what we have read and thinking for our selves instead of eating up propaganda.

Correct my facts if I'm wrong.

a) This is one store where the employees decided to do this on their own to help others in their group.

b) 300 employees donate food to benefit relatively few that need it over the holidays.

c) Nowhere in the stories does it give facts that the people needing the food is because of Walmart business practices. In fact, the one example I read was for a woman who stopped getting child support. Not really Walmart's fault she is divorced with kids from a guy who stopped paying child support.

Critical thinking is taking the facts from what we have read and thinking for our selves instead of eating up propaganda.

a) This is one store where the employees decided to do this on their own to help others in their group.

b) 300 employees donate food to benefit relatively few that need it over the holidays.

c) Nowhere in the stories does it give facts that the people needing the food is because of Walmart business practices. In fact, the one example I read was for a woman who stopped getting child support. Not really Walmart's fault she is divorced with kids from a guy who stopped paying child support.

So... you think that Wal-Mart paying a livable wage or offering a healthcare plan to its employees wouldn't help people out?

We can sit and bitch all we want about Walmart business practices or the Walmart family. However, something in this link caught my eye as an example of what is wrong in this world.

TIME

“That Walmart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage,” one Walmart shopper told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

So....now it is a moral outrage that employees are asked to donate to help other employees?

So... you think that Wal-Mart paying a livable wage or offering a healthcare plan to its employees wouldn't help people out?

Nothing I said disagrees with that.

We can sit and bitch all we want about Walmart business practices or the Walmart family. However, something in this link caught my eye as an example of what is wrong in this world.

TIME

“That Walmart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage,” one Walmart shopper told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

So....now it is a moral outrage that employees are asked to donate to help other employees?

If you look at that statement in a vacuum, no. But if you add context, such as a company that turns billions of dollars of profit paying their employees barely livable wages asking the employees to help when they could much easier help themselves, then yes. It's quite the moral outrage indeed.

• Fire 2

TIME

If you look at that statement in a vacuum, no. But if you add context, such as a company that turns billions of dollars of profit paying their employees barely livable wages asking the employees to help when they could much easier help themselves, then yes. It's quite the moral outrage indeed.

But....it's not corporate Walmart asking them to donate to help other employees. It's the employees of that store asking other employees to help other employees.

But....it's not corporate Walmart asking them to donate to help other employees. It's the employees of that store asking other employees to help other employees.

That's fair enough haha, I was only responding to the quote of the shopper, regardless of it being informed or not :P

it is the fact that full time workers need to ask for food donations that is upsetting. how is it any better that corporate walmart is not the one asking for donations?

it is the fact that full time workers need to ask for food donations that is upsetting. how is it any better that corporate walmart is not the one asking for donations?

Because the effort is completely misunderstood and being presented totally wrong by people who have an agenda.

The food drive is being criticized. Why? Fellow employees are organizing to donate food to other fellow employees. That is a fantastic thing and should be commended from the highest order.

What is happening? It is being criticized by people who are trying to make it part of an agenda. Now, I happen to agree with the people that claim the people who run Walmart are scum bags. But, that has nothing to do with this wonderful thing these employees are doing for their fellow employees.

Regardless of my feelings on how bad of a company Wal-Mart is, I fail to see where it becomes the Walton family's responsibility to pick up the tab for any or every employee that falls on hard times. This particular store or any store of any kind should be commended for trying to make sure people have a good holiday season.

Is it the responsibility of the public in general?

Where do those tubs asking for food donations belong? Where the public can see/contribute or where the Walton family can see/contribute?

It's not the responsibility of the general public either. This is why it's called charity. I just don't feel it's necessary to call out the Walton's for this. Why not call out Warren buffet while we are at it? Berkshire owns a healthy stake in Wal-Mart.

As far as the tubs belonging somewhere, they belong wherever someone feels they will do some good.

good point and well said brb. but i understand the people that would rather not live in a world where there needs to be a food drive for gainfully employed americans. and i do see it as being indicative of serious problems with our economy and even tax code. but you have a valid point as well.

and you could even spin it as those walmart employees have enough disposable income to share it with others, but personally i think that would be a stretch.