Walmart and Corporate Greed

Junior

Put on your critical thinking caps, and you'll figure out the real story behind the propaganda.

Food drives in the workplace to provide for employees and their families?

Or, to get back to the corporate greed part of the title, the fact that 6 members of the Walton family have more wealth than the 90,000,000 poorest Americans combined?

• Fire 1

How many of you readily eat up the 'story' fed to you by slate and thinkprogress?

Read the ABC article Carlfense posted.

Put on your critical thinking caps, and you'll figure out the real story behind the propaganda.

Very true.

Kory Lundberg, a spokesman for Walmart, said this store of about 300 employees has been hosting a holiday food drive for a few years.

"Quite frankly, a lot of people in that store are frustrated and offended that this is reported in a way besides other folks rallying around each other," Lundberg said.

Last year, he said there were about 12 people who benefited from the program.

This isn't Walmart Corporate doing this. This is one store helping people who are in a bad situation around the holidays. This has nothing to do with 300 employees making so low of wages they can't afford Thanksgiving dinner. It has to do with those 300 employees doing something special for a few of them that need help.

Food drives in the workplace to provide for employees and their families?

Or, to get back to the corporate greed part of the title, the fact that 6 members of the Walton family have more wealth than the 90,000,000 poorest Americans combined?

so what?

Critical thinking cap on: Wal-Mart borders on criminal in how it treats its employees.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-nlrb-walmart-20131119,0,1499317.story#axzz2l7DET5Td

The NLRB’s general counsel said Monday that it had investigated charges against Wal-Mart regarding employee protests last year in 13 states including California. It found that the retailer unlawfully threatened employees with reprisal if they engaged in strikes on Black Friday, unlawfully disciplined workers who did in engage in those strikes and unlawfully treated employees in other stores in anticipation of them participating in strikes or other labor activities.

In this thread:

The Wal-Mart powers that be are excused for being selfish, greedy, unethical scumbags in general because a story incorrectly accuses them of being selfish, greedy, unethical scumbags in one specific instance.

The funny thing is, the story I linked to never said it was corporate Wal-Mart leading the drive. The posters above just assumed that.

• Fire 1

Regardless of my feelings on how bad of a company Wal-Mart is, I fail to see where it becomes the Walton family's responsibility to pick up the tab for any or every employee that falls on hard times. This particular store or any store of any kind should be commended for trying to make sure people have a good holiday season.

Regardless of my feelings on how bad of a company Wal-Mart is, I fail to see where it becomes the Walton family's responsibility to pick up the tab for any or every employee that falls on hard times. This particular store or any store of any kind should be commended for trying to make sure people have a good holiday season.

Is it the responsibility of the public in general?

Where do those tubs asking for food donations belong? Where the public can see/contribute or where the Walton family can see/contribute?

I'm really not sure I understand your thought process here.

You say this store should be commended for trying to make sure people enjoy the holidays - going out of their way to help.

But before that you excuse the Waltons for, what I think we can all agree, business practices that are made in the spirit of trying really hard to give as little as possible to others.

In this thread:

The Wal-Mart powers that be are excused for being selfish, greedy, unethical scumbags in general because a story incorrectly accuses them of being selfish, greedy, unethical scumbags in one specific instance.

No it doesn't. In fact, I specifically said in a post that I don't like Walmart. That has to do with their business practices from predatory pricing in small communities that destroys locally owned businesses while at the same time taking tax breaks to locate there, strong arming local politics, horrible treatment of suppliers and also including bad treatment of employees.

Also, nowhere did I say that this was or implied that it was corporate Walmart doing this.

What I did argue against is the implication that this is for Walmart employees because they are paid so little. In fact, it is Walmart employees that are donating to it (they must at least be paid enough to have some to donate) to help employees that are on hard times due to nothing Walmart has done.