Walmart and Corporate Greed

Junior

But....it's not corporate Walmart asking them to donate to help other employees. It's the employees of that store asking other employees to help other employees.

it is the fact that full time workers need to ask for food donations that is upsetting. how is it any better that corporate walmart is not the one asking for donations?

Because the effort is completely misunderstood and being presented totally wrong by people who have an agenda.

The food drive is being criticized. Why? Fellow employees are organizing to donate food to other fellow employees. That is a fantastic thing and should be commended from the highest order.

What is happening? It is being criticized by people who are trying to make it part of an agenda. Now, I happen to agree with the people that claim the people who run Walmart are scum bags. But, that has nothing to do with this wonderful thing these employees are doing for their fellow employees.

But....it's not corporate Walmart asking them to donate to help other employees. It's the employees of that store asking other employees to help other employees.

it is the fact that full time workers need to ask for food donations that is upsetting. how is it any better that corporate walmart is not the one asking for donations?

Because the effort is completely misunderstood and being presented totally wrong by people who have an agenda.

The food drive is being criticized. Why? Fellow employees are organizing to donate food to other fellow employees. That is a fantastic thing and should be commended from the highest order.

What is happening? It is being criticized by people who are trying to make it part of an agenda. Now, I happen to agree with the people that claim the people who run Walmart are scum bags. But, that has nothing to do with this wonderful thing these employees are doing for their fellow employees.

The food drive isn't really being criticized - Corporate Wal-Mart is being criticized, with the food drive as an unfounded tool being used.

“That Walmart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage,” one Walmart shopper told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

So....now it is a moral outrage that employees are asked to donate to help other employees?

If that were true, yes. That would be a moral outrage. No question.

The food drive isn't really being criticized - Corporate Wal-Mart is being criticized, with the food drive as an unfounded tool being used.

It is too being criticized.

“That Walmart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage,” one Walmart shopper told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Here's a shocking image brought to us by Scott Keyes. Walmart is organizing a food drive to deliver food to its own needy employees:

So....now it is a moral outrage that employees are asked to donate to help other employees?

So, someone asking someone else to donate is a moral outrage?

Put on your critical thinking caps, and you'll figure out the real story behind the propaganda.

Food drives in the workplace to provide for employees and their families?

Or, to get back to the corporate greed part of the title, the fact that 6 members of the Walton family have more wealth than the 90,000,000 poorest Americans combined?

so what?

Walmart is the scourge of small town America. How many small businesses have had to close their doors due to Walmart? T_O_B

If it were the employer asking poorly paid employees to support other poorly paid employees (instead of the employer just paying a livable wage), yes. That would be outrageous. Are you alright with exploiting the charity of your own employees to maximize corporate profits?

Walmart is the scourge of small town America. How many small businesses have had to close their doors due to Walmart? T_O_B

They really are. The worst is when they drive out all competition and then strategically close "excess" stores.

They are the scourge of American business. They have driven down wages across the entire retail industry.

If it were the employer asking poorly paid employees to support other poorly paid employees (instead of the employer just paying a livable wage), yes. That would be outrageous. Are you alright with exploiting the charity of your own employees to maximize corporate profits?

That I agree with.

I probably approach this from a different angle than most folks.

1. I shop at Walmart regularly (gasp!)

2. I don't fret over someone else's wages being too low, especially when I'm being told they are too low by a union that wants to absorb them as dues paying members.

3. I've worked with two different unrelated local children's charities in my area. Both of them, (at different times - different reasons - and different folks involved) were struggling to meet fundraising goals and in general were scraping by to stay afloat and relevant until Walmart found out about them and got behind both of them, effectively absorbing them into the fold of their incredibly effective local charity department.

In one situation, it was a "toys for tots" sort of thing. The charity had way more needy children than they could find "donors" for. Walmart found out and said, don't worry...any leftover kids we'll pick-up the bill and let you (the handful of volunteers) shop our store "supermarket sweep style" right before Christmas for the kids that didn't get shopped for.

Another situation had to do with pediatric cancer. It was successful and simple charity event that was growing and expanding beyond the logistic capabilities of the volunteers. Walmart wanted to get on board and they cut a big check (top donor), volunteered their paid charity organizers (yes they have payroll employees whose sole job is to spend $ on local charities), as well as paid 30+ Walmart employees to 'volunteer' to simply show up and help out at the event with setup and misc.

While many "corporate sponsors" donate a certain amount and expect a level of recognition as a sponsor (a perfectly reasonable exchange and expectation), in both cases even though Walmart was easily the biggest donor, they didn't require top donor status and recognition. It would be a good PR move, to donate to these charities then plaster their name all over the events and soak up all the credit because both get local news coverage each year. But they aren't in it for the PR and while they could cut a check and walk away, they've made a corporate decision to facilitate their employees in getting involved with these charities directly - exponentially increasing the effectiveness of their 'giving back' and building a culture within their company that emphasizes the importance of charity.

---

Many people enter a "Walmart" discussion with the preconceived notion rich people who employ low income people are evil. The richer you are the more evil you must be. Their mind is made up and the details don't matter.

I don't see much reason in having a discussion with someone who subscribes to that lunacy, but I thought I'd share my perspective for those of you who hear this nonsense and feel there might be more to the equation than the propaganda pieces put out by the labor unions and their cohorts in the blogosphere.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart. But they actually do some pretty good deeds sometimes. Right after the tornado in Washington, Illinois on Sunday, the local Walmart set up a shelter for tornado victims. They handed out free water, blankets, pillows, baby formula, etc. to people in need. I've heard they were even fitting kids for shoes and clothes, all on their own nickel. The store was up and running right after the storm, powered by generators due to the electricity outage.

/end threadjack.