Trivia about Sparty's Run Defense

knapplc

Abdullah is very good, imo the best RB we'll face all season, including Carlos Hyde. I wasn't surprised at all by what he did, I was more surprised by the performance of your young o-line.

How surprised was the Michigan State crowd that you guys got no sacks and that Abdullah ran for 100 yards? Was that your defensive game plan coming in or did he just force those yards?

Go to their message boards and read some of the posts. Apparently, they played prevent defense the whole game.

To be fair, I saw plenty of them really pissed about it and commending Abdullah, also commenting "maybe that patchwork line is better than we thought." One thread was even started about "what the hell was up with our defense?"

They were playing prevent!

Their prevent defense gave up 21 points (plus 7 trash points) even though we had 5 unforced turnovers?????

Not much of a prevent defense.

Wasn't surprised we did what we did. Had we not fumbled like we did it would have been Beck, Garrison, and Cotton's finest hour. In no way can you place the blame on the OL. We really played good enough to win the game at every position accept one or two.

What two? Tommy had a terrible game with turnovers. What other position didn't step up? I thought the whole team played quite well.

No turnovers, or even three fewer turnovers, and we win that game.

I said one or two just because I don't like blaming one position. Unfortunately I don't see a second position we didn't play well at.

Wasn't surprised we did what we did. Had we not fumbled like we did it would have been Beck, Garrison, and Cotton's finest hour. In no way can you place the blame on the OL. We really played good enough to win the game at every position accept one or two.

What two? Tommy had a terrible game with turnovers. What other position didn't step up? I thought the whole team played quite well.

No turnovers, or even three fewer turnovers, and we win that game.

special teams, though that's nothing new. Mitchell was iffy - got his a$$ chewed for it - but certainly not terrible. SJB similar. Some of those passes reminded me of the Georgia game...couldn't have been placed anymore perfectly. Nothing the cover guy could do in those cases.

all-in-all, without a doubt the team played really well. Good enough to win. MSU had to be perfect, and the pretty much were. Making passes they normally don't make, 0 turnovers, controlled the clock, won by a mile on field position.

I haven't yet had the stomach to watch the DVR of that game, but I'll tip my hat to that Sparty QB and his receivers. There were like five fingertip catches, and some really good throws under duress, by that QB & WR corps.

I kept thinking that they couldn't be making those miracle throws/catches all game long, but they did.

In that respect Sparty reminded me of 2009 Texas Tech. We couldn't have covered their receivers any better, but all game long they kept making those ridiculous catches. Only in the Sparty game, the defense didn't show any signs of quit until very late in the 4th quarter. I thought that 2009 defense - with Suh and Amukamara - gave up too early.

I haven't yet had the stomach to watch the DVR of that game, but I'll tip my hat to that Sparty QB and his receivers. There were like five fingertip catches, and some really good throws under duress, by that QB & WR corps.

I kept thinking that they couldn't be making those miracle throws/catches all game long, but they did.

In that respect Sparty reminded me of 2009 Texas Tech. We couldn't have covered their receivers any better, but all game long they kept making those ridiculous catches. Only in the Sparty game, the defense didn't show any signs of quit until very late in the 4th quarter. I thought that 2009 defense - with Suh and Amukamara - gave up too early.

They did quit early. Down 14-0 early at home when the Red River game ended. Giving away a fumble nobody bothered to go after that resulted in a return of 50 or more for a TD deflated the D quick in that game.

Upon further reflection, I would like to apologize for my post.

This thread was created to congratulate a player for a pretty impressive accomplishment, and I shat all over it with my moral victories comment.

I do apologize. I'm better than that, and I did not meant to derail the thread.

Ha ha! No worries. There's so much derp on HB these days that your post seems rather kind hearted. :lol:

Our best defense seemed to be leaving them wide open, those are only real throws and catches they struggled with.