Analysis: For Nebraska, Bo Pelini, is good good enough? - USA Today

Sker4Ever

Point is, the ball has bounced both ways for Bo during his tenure as Nebraska's coach.

Isn't that the point of the article?

I'm not sure the article had a point, except to give Pelini a forum to repeat the same old tired cliches and to give yet another journalist an opportunity to remind the Husker fanbase that it's "not the 90s anymore."

In any event, I was mostly responding to the posters in this thread who are wondering how we can dislike Pelini so much if he was a hair away from winning a conference championship in 2009. The flip side is that he's also repeatedly been a hair away from two disastrous seasons.

Dennard wasnt doing much to us last year. He was finally driving when he got hurt but whos to say they score.

No doubt.

But those of us who want to point out all the injuries Bo has had to deal with seem to conveniently forget all the teams we beat whose star QBs got injured in the process. And if the response is, as you say, it wouldn't have made a difference to Ohio State or Michigan, how can you definitively say, for example, that Martinez's injury made a difference to us?

No question Brxtons injury helped win us that game. Dennard? Eh, he wasnt really impressive that whole season. Northwestern on the other hand did better in 2011 with a backup in. Would we have won Minnysoda had TA played? Maybe.Would we have come back in T Magic fashion last week had Taylor been in? Perhaps. Would we have beaten UCLA if...............no, no outcome beats that squad Im afraid.

Dennard wasnt doing much to us last year. He was finally driving when he got hurt but whos to say they score.

No doubt.

But those of us who want to point out all the injuries Bo has had to deal with seem to conveniently forget all the teams we beat whose star QBs got injured in the process. And if the response is, as you say, it wouldn't have made a difference to Ohio State or Michigan, how can you definitively say, for example, that Martinez's injury made a difference to us?

That's how a few of them like to do things around here. You made some points and added perspective. Nothing overly sensitive. Yet some like to pick out just one thing you mention for a counter argument. Or response.

No doubt.

That's how a few of them like to do things around here. You made some points and added perspective. Nothing overly sensitive. Yet some like to pick out just one thing you mention for a counter argument. Or response.

Maybe I only responded to that portion because I agreed with the rest.

No doubt.

My bad Redux. I spoke too soon. I apologize.

Bo has had luck in the comeback win department and a couple of opposing injuries. As far as his own personnel, no I feel that badluck outweighs the good. Burkhead and Taylors and Cricks Senior years shot. I dont think any good injury luck outweighs the bad. Hope my counter point was enough to clarify my stance though I do agree.

No doubt.

My bad Redux. I spoke too soon. I apologize.

You make a good point though. Its funny, EZ E just started a great thread showing how true thoughts get lost in translation in regards to posts. Also most the time I want to post more but my phone clearly feels I spend too much time on here as it is.

i think what is worse than failing to win a ccg is continually being out of the top 25. i think bo's teams have failed the eyeball test. they just do not play well. i think he keeps doing enough to give us hope, so maybe one more year is the best decision. i just do not know. all i know is that this year is sub-par and we have been under-performing for awhile.

This is true. There is a decidedly ugly quality to many of our wins the past few years. We get it done almost despite ourselves. We out-talent our propensity for self-inflicted wounds (mostly).

I think you just stated Mack Brown's tenure at Texass.

• Fire 1

Good call about A&M. We lost that one because let's face it, the refs didn't want to give us any quarter. I'm not a whiner, but on that day that's honestly what happened.

And if we hadn't bumbled our way distractedly through the Texas game that one was winnable too.

Damn! So close to a 14-0 2010 season :lol:. Still makes me mad to think about it. At least in 2011 and 2012 it was far more understandable as to why our struggles were happening.

That was a weird season-- it wasn't that the refs were against nebraska, it was more that they were not calling penalties on our opponents. I did an analysis (but it was easy to eyeball) that showed that every (I think) Big 12 team had their best game against us in terms of penalty yards by a LONG shot. Of course, it was difficult to show that Nebraska was getting extra penalties because they were high in every game. People argued back then that all of the calls against NU in that A&M game were legit, but the problem was that A&M had something like half their average number of penalties called on them.

Good call about A&M. We lost that one because let's face it, the refs didn't want to give us any quarter. I'm not a whiner, but on that day that's honestly what happened.

And if we hadn't bumbled our way distractedly through the Texas game that one was winnable too.

Damn! So close to a 14-0 2010 season :lol:. Still makes me mad to think about it. At least in 2011 and 2012 it was far more understandable as to why our struggles were happening.

That was a weird season-- it wasn't that the refs were against nebraska, it was more that they were not calling penalties on our opponents. I did an analysis (but it was easy to eyeball) that showed that every (I think) Big 12 team had their best game against us in terms of penalty yards by a LONG shot. Of course, it was difficult to show that Nebraska was getting extra penalties because they were high in every game. People argued back then that all of the calls against NU in that A&M game were legit, but the problem was that A&M had something like half their average number of penalties called on them.

NotHing will ever excuse the roughing the passer call. If Kirk Herbstreit says its a bad call then come on.

The funny thing about the last season in the big 12 is that Eric Martin got a penalty on every kickoff and was one of the very few if not the only player ejected from a game that year.

Talk about luck, what would we think of TO if Wiggins doesn't play kick ball to Davidson in the Missouri game in 1997?