Analysis: For Nebraska, Bo Pelini, is good good enough? - USA Today

Sker4Ever

i think what is worse than failing to win a ccg is continually being out of the top 25. i think bo's teams have failed the eyeball test. they just do not play well. i think he keeps doing enough to give us hope, so maybe one more year is the best decision. i just do not know. all i know is that this year is sub-par and we have been under-performing for awhile.

Ah, the vaunted "eye ball test."

That's fine if you want to use it, but let's be honest about the top 25 stats. NU has finished in the top 25 each of Bo's seasons, except his first (a season he finished 9-4 with a bowl win after taking over a 5-7 program).

So, he hasn't been "continually out of the top 25."

Ironically, if NU wins out and finishes 10-3, the Husker will likely achieve their highest rank under Bo except '09's. That's especially true of Minnesota, UCLA and Michigan State continue to win (all three would finish in the top 20, if that happens, as unlikely as it is).

How did we get to 12 in your scenario?

It was a scenario I was responding to presented by NU_polo I believe, where we don't blow it in the 2010 CCG vs Oklahoma and then we win the ensuing Fiesta Bowl vs UConn rather than lose in a rematch with Washington.

That's just it though. One of the biggest derps of Pelini's career was that we lost to Washington 19-7 in the 2010 bowl game after beating them earlier that season. That was unreal.

i think what is worse than failing to win a ccg is continually being out of the top 25. i think bo's teams have failed the eyeball test. they just do not play well. i think he keeps doing enough to give us hope, so maybe one more year is the best decision. i just do not know. all i know is that this year is sub-par and we have been under-performing for awhile.

Ah, the vaunted "eye ball test."

That's fine if you want to use it, but let's be honest about the top 25 stats. NU has finished in the top 25 each of Bo's seasons, except his first (a season he finished 9-4 with a bowl win after taking over a 5-7 program).

So, he hasn't been "continually out of the top 25."

other than 2008 and 2009 (and really, 2009, b/c of losses to isu and how we lost to ttu), bo's teams have under-performed. imo.

and with our schedule, we should be top 25 beginning to end. especially given the benefit of the doubt we used to receive.

It was a scenario I was responding to presented by NU_polo I believe, where we don't blow it in the 2010 CCG vs Oklahoma and then we win the ensuing Fiesta Bowl vs UConn rather than lose in a rematch with Washington.

That's just it though. One of the biggest derps of Pelini's career was that was lost to Washington 19-7 in the 2010 bowl game after beating them earlier that season. That was unreal.

That was the most embarassed Ive been even after weve succumbed to 4 blowouts in the big ten.

That's just it though. One of the biggest derps of Pelini's career was that we lost to Washington 19-7 in the 2010 bowl game after beating them earlier that season. That was unreal.

Yeah, it was a pure hypothetical. We also melted down against a vulnerable Oklahoma team that we already had on the ropes, which would be OK if it weren't just one of many times that's happened, on stages big and small...

Wow, I've really heard it all now. We are average because of the demons from 2009 Texas.

If there was ever a loss that damaged a program psychologically, it was 2001 Colorado.

On the other hand, if there were ever losses that helped us (the dreaded "moral victory") it was 1994 FSU and 2009 Texas. We got nothing but good vibes after that game and the subsequent drubbing of Arizona. We went into 2010 as confident as ever, and ended up at the CCG game #13 and playing neck and neck with #10 Oklahoma.

Besides, as we all know from the Joseph Gordon-Levitt classic, angels can't help you in championship games. And it works the other way around too: Demons can't hurt you. There were no Christopher Lloyds out there with devil horns and pitchforks. We just lost a close game to a slightly better Oklahoma team. Then, we ran out of Callahan's stud defensive recruits and tried riding our hopes on a DB/RB at QB.

Yes. And if Bo had only kept his composure against Texas A&M, which included an unsportsmanlike call against him, the penalties would not have escalated the rest of the game. Especially by the fourth quarter. That was winnable too.

Good call about A&M. We lost that one because let's face it, the refs didn't want to give us any quarter. I'm not a whiner, but on that day that's honestly what happened.

And if we hadn't bumbled our way distractedly through the Texas game that one was winnable too.

Damn! So close to a 14-0 2010 season :lol:. Still makes me mad to think about it. At least in 2011 and 2012 it was far more understandable as to why our struggles were happening.

after 6 years of Bo Ball why do we dwell on sh#t from long ago, that doesn't matter now?

Some losses sting more than others that is why. If you think football fans have short term memory then... They don't forget anything especially those embarrassing losses. It took people years to stop talking about the 09 Texas loss alone and that wasn't even embarrassing.

One of the biggest derps of Pelini's career was that we lost to Washington 19-7 in the 2010 bowl game after beating them earlier that season. That was unreal.

Yeah. That might be the worst loss in Husker history. Not heatbreaking, like when you're so close to winning, or embarrassing like the notorious blowouts. We were simply dead-in-the-water, uninspired and painful to watch against a less-talented team. It was so bad, so complete and so boring that it made me wonder if the progress from 2008 and 2009, and the excitement of the first half of the 2010 season had been a mirage. On the cusp of relevance, we crapped our pants.