Analysis: For Nebraska, Bo Pelini, is good good enough? - USA Today

Sker4Ever

Perception is the key word. It's all perception. People perceive that Bo is going to get us there, he just needs more time, more OJT.

People perceive that Bo's had enough time and that if he hasn't gotten it done by now he likely never will. Cut our losses and move on.

Really, the difference between the two "sides" is pretty minimal. Some simply just don't like Pelini and some simply just like him, and neither will ever see the other side, but I think both opinions are in the minority.

I think most people don't want to fire him, but also don't want to continue in this good-but-not-good limbo we've been in. I'm pretty much in that camp.

Although if we had some knockout hire lined up, I'd be far more likely to be happy that we moved on. It's not like I'll really miss Bo the Coach. He's OK... he has flaws. There's a lot to deal with, with Bo.

You know what they say, perception is reality. Name the last 5 World Series winners. Now name the last 5 World Series losers. Few years goes by, and if you didn't win it, you might as well not have been there at all. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. But it is the reality of it.

I agree, I don't really want to fire Bo. He's mostly a likable guy and I want Bo to get this figured out. The problem is, he's had 6 years and hasn't. There's no reason to believe, at this point, that he will. Maybe patience would pay off like it did for the Steelers and Bill Cowher. I don't know. And maybe the next guy will be worse..... but maybe he'll be better.

There's another saying: "If you aren't moving forward, you're moving backwards." That's the real problem the program is facing. Because they definitely aren't moving forward.

If the win against Northwestern came down to a lucky bounce, it's worth wondering what might have happened, and how things might have been different, if the Big 12 officials hadn't found another second for Texas. Nebraska has been very close, during Pelini's tenure, to breaking through.

This + 1,000,000.

I've said it time and again that this Championship that was stolen from us did more lasting damage to this program than any of the tirades, conference moves, or anything else out there. If we actually get the Big XII to not give Texass a fraudulent extra second, the whole trajectory of this program is suddenly different.

I wonder how many times Bo isn't coaching against another team...but against the ghost of that win that was stolen from us back in 2009.

I would say the 2010 Texas game was more damaging. No one thought we had a chance in the Big XII championship game, but everyone expected them to exercise their demons in 2010 against a down UT team.

For the record, NUpolo8 does not recommend you give your demons excercise. It makes them very strong. Far better to exorcise them.

(rimshot)

Articles like this must kill our recruiting efforts. It seems at least one of these articles are published every year. Questioning whether Pelini is the right man for the job, and having the AD stay completely silent on the issue, can only breed speculation. I wish Eichorst would just come out and support Bo 100% so we wouldn't have to deal with this sh#t anymore.

SE is probably in same boat as this board.

Pros vs. Cons (no overwhelming lead either way)

2 regular season games remaining + 1 bowl game. In his mind it might just be, "Let's see how this all turns out before we act"?

Do ya one better: the 2010 championship game vs Oklahoma. Leaving the conference, very good team with a lot to prove and rallying behind its coach after the A&M debacle, against an immensely beatable OU team, that was kind enough to spot NU a three score lead.

Man if they had found a way to hang on there, they go thrash UConn in the Fiesta bowl, everyone here goes wild in happiness, and Nebraska probably strolls into the Big Ten with a preseason top 5 ranking. Hell, if 2011, 2012 and this year play out EXACTLY the same, that win probably assuages all of the angst on this board.

You really believe that?

I disagree becuase Bo accomplishing what he did his first couple, even stretching it to 3 years, is exactly why there are so many up in arms right now over the failures of the past 3 years. If he's a won two conference championships his first 3 years, and the last 3 played out like they have, the meltdown surrounding I believe would be so much worse, becuase he would've created even more insatiable expectations on a constant basis.

Do ya one better: the 2010 championship game vs Oklahoma. Leaving the conference, very good team with a lot to prove and rallying behind its coach after the A&M debacle, against an immensely beatable OU team, that was kind enough to spot NU a three score lead.

Man if they had found a way to hang on there, they go thrash UConn in the Fiesta bowl, everyone here goes wild in happiness, and Nebraska probably strolls into the Big Ten with a preseason top 5 ranking. Hell, if 2011, 2012 and this year play out EXACTLY the same, that win probably assuages all of the angst on this board.

You really believe that?

I disagree becuase Bo accomplishing what he did his first couple, even stretching it to 3 years, is exactly why there are so many up in arms right now over the failures of the past 3 years. If he's a won two conference championships his first 3 years, and the last 3 played out like they have, the meltdown surrounding I believe would be so much worse, becuase he would've created even more insatiable expectations on a constant basis.

There's probably angst, but if Bo had a conference title on his resume, it would take away the highest caliber bullet that a lot of the guys clamoring for change like firing. There would be no way Bo would be in trouble now, in my opinion. But people might be mad, you're correct.

Eichorst's refusal to speak out publicly in support of Bo is mind-boggling in my opinion, but it speaks volumes as well.

With all the key parts returning on offense next year, and the obvious abundance of young talent on defense, Eichorst would be insane to not bring Pelini back for another year. I feel like you have to let Bo see this thing through (referring to the incredible amount of potential on defense).....

Perception is the key word. It's all perception. People perceive that Bo is going to get us there, he just needs more time, more OJT.

People perceive that Bo's had enough time and that if he hasn't gotten it done by now he likely never will. Cut our losses and move on.

Really, the difference between the two "sides" is pretty minimal. Some simply just don't like Pelini and some simply just like him, and neither will ever see the other side, but I think both opinions are in the minority.

I think most people don't want to fire him, but also don't want to continue in this good-but-not-good limbo we've been in. I'm pretty much in that camp.

Although if we had some knockout hire lined up, I'd be far more likely to be happy that we moved on. It's not like I'll really miss Bo the Coach. He's OK... he has flaws. There's a lot to deal with, with Bo.

Not sure there is one. Instead of considerations of a harsh fire sale, some thoughts lean towards a polite parting of the ways. Did an ok job, bit of a yo-yo, not a bad guy deep down, tried to win, but at the end of the day, it just didn't work out. Unless that just works with most businesses lol.

This is exactly how I feel.

Bad luck, including bad calls, happen to all teams at some point, so I'm not looking into "what if this had happened in this game or that game". What about all the games that we didn't have bad luck / bad calls and still lost? Those are the games that bother me.

The 2009 championship game is a bit of an exception, don't you think?

Bad luck, including bad calls, happen to all teams at some point, so I'm not looking into "what if this had happened in this game or that game". What about all the games that we didn't have bad luck / bad calls and still lost? Those are the games that bother me.

The 2009 championship game is a bit of an exception, don't you think?

Why do you say that? Look at the tape objectively. There was 1 second left.

Had we beaten UT in 09 we may have run the table in 10 based off confidence alone. But alas here we are. So to answer the question in the thread; Nobody is good enough for Nebraska.

Is this to infer that Bo Pelini should be retained because Nebraska was good enough to run the table in 2010? Because the fact at they lost four games with a team that good gives evidence to the latter.

• Fire 2