Analysis: For Nebraska, Bo Pelini, is good good enough? - USA Today

Sker4Ever

If the win against Northwestern came down to a lucky bounce, it's worth wondering what might have happened, and how things might have been different, if the Big 12 officials hadn't found another second for Texas. Nebraska has been very close, during Pelini's tenure, to breaking through.

This + 1,000,000.

I've said it time and again that this Championship that was stolen from us did more lasting damage to this program than any of the tirades, conference moves, or anything else out there. If we actually get the Big XII to not give Texass a fraudulent extra second, the whole trajectory of this program is suddenly different.

I wonder how many times Bo isn't coaching against another team...but against the ghost of that win that was stolen from us back in 2009.

If the win against Northwestern came down to a lucky bounce, it's worth wondering what might have happened, and how things might have been different, if the Big 12 officials hadn't found another second for Texas. Nebraska has been very close, during Pelini's tenure, to breaking through.

This + 1,000,000.

I've said it time and again that this Championship that was stolen from us did more lasting damage to this program than any of the tirades, conference moves, or anything else out there. If we actually get the Big XII to not give Texass a fraudulent extra second, the whole trajectory of this program is suddenly different.

I wonder how many times Bo isn't coaching against another team...but against the ghost of that win that was stolen from us back in 2009.

I would say the 2010 Texas game was more damaging. No one thought we had a chance in the Big XII championship game, but everyone expected them to exercise their demons in 2010 against a down UT team.

I would say the 2010 Texas game was more damaging. No one thought we had a chance in the Big XII championship game, but everyone expected them to exercise their demons in 2010 against a down UT team.

Exactly. I don't remember a single fan that was disappointed w/ that 2009 team. It's still, even w/ that loss to Texas - the high point of Pelini's tenure here. The 2010 game, might have been one of the lower points and is where you started to see the mental issues that have plagued this team for the better part of the last few seasons.

• Fire 1

There wouldn't be demons to exercise had we not lost in 2009.

I agree with matthew, if Colt McCoy's pass hits out of bounds with no time left and the game is over, we obviously don't know where we would be right now, but it most certainly would not be the place we are in.

Exactly. I don't remember a single fan that was disappointed w/ that 2009 team. It's still, even w/ that loss to Texas - the high point of Pelini's tenure here. The 2010 game, might have been one of the lower points and is where you started to see the mental issues that have plagued this team for the better part of the last few seasons.

Started to see?

What about Iowa State, with 800 turnovers, losing 9-7? Or coming out flat against Texas Tech after a gutsy emotional win on the road against Missouri?

I remember plenty of people being disappointed, maybe not overall, but in the midst of the 2009 season. How many times did we hear the cries of, 'If only we had an offense we would be undefeated and could possibly play for the national title!"

There wouldn't be demons to exercise had we not lost in 2009.

I agree with matthew, if Colt McCoy's pass hits out of bounds with no time left and the game is over, we obviously don't know where we would be right now, but it most certainly would not be the place we are in.

You mean like all those times we won against Texas? Like 2007? 2006? 2002? 1999 CCG? 1998?

". . . But as he clarified a few moments later, the standard is not conference championships.

"It's national championships," he said."

This is the best part of the article. I think we are closer than a lot of people realize. I would really like to see how this plays out with Bo at the helm next year. Even with the unexplainable losses, it seems like our main problem has been finding out how to play in the B1G. Specifically, how to play defense in the B1G. Hopefully we have have turned it around, and have figured out our identity defensively. Now, we just need to hang on to the ball, and win the next two.

This + 1,000,000.

I agree with matthew. The point being, how much of what is brought up against Pelini is he's never won a conference championship? Never played in a BCS bowl? NU hasn't won a conference championship in 14 years? All those points would be out the window if any of several things went slightly differently in the last couple minutes of that game - none of which, by the way, had anything to do with the coaches. The :01 put back on the clock gets the most pub but what about if Kunalic doesn't kick it out of bounds for probably the only time in his career? Texas likely doesn't get anywhere close to field goal range if they have to start 20 yards back. Or the horse-collar tackle. Texas got 18 yards on their own on that drive. Almost no chance they even get to Hail Mary range if we don't help.

The future of Bo Pelini at Nebraska is such an on-the-fence issue for me right now. I just really don't know what to think. It's really bizarre, because both sides of the arguement of whether he should stay or not has so many legit points that I just dont know what to think. Which makes these last 2 games the most critical for this program in a very VERY long time. The turnout of these next to games will determine the future of our staff. No doubt about that. With that said, I believe that what's actually gonna happen is we win the two games and Bo remains the coach. The issue is I seriously at this point dont know how to feel about that. I see so many upsides to him remaining here. Recruiting's improved. He appears to be fixing the defense for a second time. The offense appears to be in good hands. The offensive line was a huge issue when he got here, and after Saturday's game, it appears that there is some awesome depth now at that position. His public personna is improving and his off-the-field accomplishments and guidance are literally second to none. The issue is it still comes down to wins and losses and at what point is it safe for us as a fanbase to demand that it's time for the next step before the stagnation comes to the point of regresssion. I think the program is at this critical point. And that all stems from the fact that Nebraska under Pelini has cost themselves more games than what they've actually been beaten straight up. You can go back through all our losses, and even and crap ton of wins, and point out that we did a hell of a lot more to lose the game than the other team did to win. And it's been a constant road block for the program for nearly 6 full seasons now, and it's the most critical thing that needs to be fixed, yet it seems like it's constantly the most neglected. And this stuff isnt technical x's and o's and recruiting the proper talent issues. We've seen enough to know that those things are good enough to get to where we wanna be. The real issues are in regards to basic, simple football. Just coming into a big game mentally sound and having a competent punt return team. I wanna think it's something that will be figured out and everything will be fine, but I'm seriously as a crossroads right now that I just dont know if he's capable of this, and at what point can we call it a hopeless situation? We are really really close, but yet, a lot of times it feels like we're just so damn far away. I hope we win the last two games, Bo stays, we win the bowl, and we can continue to build on this young talent and see where we go.

This + 1,000,000.

the lucky bounce sh#t is always going to be with us....the blowout losses have no place at our storied program....THAT is inexcusable!

Started to see?

What about Iowa State, with 800 turnovers, losing 9-7? Or coming out flat against Texas Tech after a gutsy emotional win on the road against Missouri?

I remember plenty of people being disappointed, maybe not overall, but in the midst of the 2009 season. How many times did we hear the cries of, 'If only we had an offense we would be undefeated and could possibly play for the national title!"

Sure, but in 2009 you can justify it a little more. It wasn't a trend yet. By 2010 we were starting to realize this was a recurring theme. At this point we wonder if it is possible for Pelini to correct the problem, because it sure doesn't seem like he can.

MY BIGGEST FEAR.........Bo wins out, stays and next year is a carbon copy repeat of this sh#t!!!!

Let's say there's a 90% chance Bo stays if he wins the next two games. And a 50/50 chance he gets fired if he loses the next two. Would you rather see us win the next two, or lose the next two?