Nebraska turnovers suggest deeper issues

I think the "deeper issue" is big game jitters.

Where there have been fumbles and interceptions, there were also stupid penalties, missed tackles, poor clock management, players out of position and a general "deer-in-the-headlights" look that infected offense, defense and special teams. When the wheels come off it's not just about the turnovers or even technique. Pelini teams just seem wound a bit too tight.

I had a different reaction to the MSU game because if you could get past the five turnovers, the team actually had a bit of swagger and confidence. Only three penalties, none of them the stupid variety. They didn't fall apart. They sucked it up. Just got worn out.

Where there have been fumbles and interceptions, there were also stupid penalties, missed tackles, poor clock management, players out of position and a general "deer-in-the-headlights" look that infected offense, defense and special teams. When the wheels come off it's not just about the turnovers or even technique. Pelini teams just seem wound a bit too tight.

I had a different reaction to the MSU game because if you could get past the five turnovers, the team actually had a bit of swagger and confidence. Only three penalties, none of them the stupid variety. They didn't fall apart. They sucked it up. Just got worn out.

Good point. Maybe instead of jitters it's in the back of their mind or a subconscious level? Fear of getting their asses chewed out on National TV in front of their family, friends, teammates, and fellow students if they do any of those things you mentioned. Who knows.

Good point. Maybe instead of jitters it's in the back of their mind or a subconscious level? Fear of getting their asses chewed out on National TV in front of their family, friends, teammates, and fellow students if they do any of those things you mentioned. Who knows.

It goes directly to the head coach. How he prepares them for the game. How he adjusts at halftime. I don't think Bo's ass chewing is a problem by itself. Lots of coaches bark at players. But it's been glaring how ill-prepared Bo's teams look in games both big and small, including the home opener against Wyoming.

Tommy Armstrong should prove that you don't need Taylor Martinez to committ far too many turnovers, but I did like the way he fought back from his mistakes.

The defense has looked different, too. Less panic, more fight. Shi•tloads of athleticism.

Hard to say why after a five turnover game, but on that crucial deeper level this team looks tougher and more resilient.

Please don't make me eat these words on Saturday, Bugeaters.

I think unreal fan pressure on the head coach and the players to perform causes the jitters. I think there is more pressure to win and bring home championships and titles than probably any other program out there and the tradition of winning and all other traditions is like a VW Bus on the back of every single player and coach here.

It may not be entirely this...but it is partially this at the very least.

I'm not discounting this as a reason, but if it is affecting this team then they're going to have to do some soul-searching. There isn't a fan base in America who would be putting less pressure to perform on their team. No fans are OK with losing, and all fans expect perfection.

The lights shine only a tiny bit less at other schools. At many they shine much brighter.

We're not even in a major media market.

<p>

I think unreal fan pressure on the head coach and the players to perform causes the jitters. I think there is more pressure to win and bring home championships and titles than probably any other program out there and the tradition of winning and all other traditions is like a VW Bus on the back of every single player and coach here. It may not be entirely this...but it is partially this at the very least.
I'm not discounting this as a reason, but if it is affecting this team then they're going to have to do some soul-searching. There isn't a fan base in America who would be putting less pressure to perform on their team. No fans are OK with losing, and all fans expect perfection. The lights shine only a tiny bit less at other schools. At many they shine much brighter. We're not even in a major media market.

Well.......it shines a little brighter at Nebraska, where one football team handles all of the sports and much of the prestige for an entire state.

We're not a major media market, but we are a major college football brand. The media has shined more light on us the past decade based on our legacy, not so much our population base or product on the field. That's starting to wear thin.

But yeah, we're not the only school with huge fan and alumni pressure. Or lynch mob bulletin boards. And a half-dozen morons on Twitter could make any player hate his own fans.

I would say there are at least 20 college football programs who would be grumbling about the return on our Bo Pelini investment. A couple would have fired him by now. We're still being pretty sane about it.

I think unreal fan pressure on the head coach and the players to perform causes the jitters. I think there is more pressure to win and bring home championships and titles than probably any other program out there and the tradition of winning and all other traditions is like a VW Bus on the back of every single player and coach here.

I would not agree that unreal fan pressure on the head coach and the players to perform causes the jitters. Not all games are even at home. Not every fan is the perfect fan. I think and hope plenty of good fan support and excitement is there for the Huskers. It cannot be the fans fault for the topic of a turnover issue. Just my opinion.

I'm not discounting this as a reason, but if it is affecting this team then they're going to have to do some soul-searching. There isn't a fan base in America who would be putting less pressure to perform on their team. No fans are OK with losing, and all fans expect perfection.

The lights shine only a tiny bit less at other schools. At many they shine much brighter.

We're not even in a major media market.

You should come hang in Kansas :)

I would not agree that unreal fan pressure on the head coach and the players to perform causes the jitters. Not all games are even at home. Not every fan is the perfect fan. I think and hope plenty of good fan support and excitement is there for the Huskers. It cannot be the fans fault for the topic of a turnover issue. Just my opinion.

No fan would want to admit that...it might mean they're culpable for something. No one likes to admit that something they say or do online or from the stands has an adverse affect to how someone plays...bottom line is, it does...

So, no matter if you agree or not...when stating negative absolutes about any player or coach...it will affect a player or coach if they read it. We can't escape that because it is an absolute truth.

As an example:

1. Say something good about the team and they'll have a reaction. State online how good the team is or an individual, that team or individual will have a reaction when reading.

2. Vice versa, say something negative about the team and they'll have a reaction. State online how crappy a team is or a individual is, that team or individual will have a reaction when reading.

Not much we can do either way...but if you think for one moment what fans say or do doesn't have an affect on these young kids, you're the one fumbling the ball on that one.

I'm sure it's possible that social media can affect some, or how a person or player feels. Might even been studies on it. I won't disagree. And as long as I have been on this board, I never like to say anything hurtful about a player. So I don't. But I will give you kudos and a ribbon of your color choice for your clever comment on fumbling the ball. It's my fault. Better yet, here's a fumblerooski and a bunny with a pancake :):moreinteresting

One part of this that isn't being discussed is the lack of GETTING turnovers from our defense. This year started off good. I remember one thread earlier in the season talking about how we finally had a positive turnover margin. This was because our offense was being better at protecting it and our defense was forcing some interceptions.

Yeah, this is a big part of the problem. It's half the equation. Yet it is seldom talked about. I guess because people don't notice when our defense fails to get picks and fumbles. They only notice when our offense gives them up.

One part of this that isn't being discussed is the lack of GETTING turnovers from our defense. This year started off good. I remember one thread earlier in the season talking about how we finally had a positive turnover margin. This was because our offense was being better at protecting it and our defense was forcing some interceptions.

Yeah, this is a big part of the problem. It's half the equation. Yet it is seldom talked about. I guess because people don't notice when our defense fails to get picks and fumbles. They only notice when our offense gives them up.

It was only two weeks ago that the defense got us a pick six that proved to be the winning margin.

And I spent the second half of the MSU game convinced that God owed the Husker D a turnover. I noticed the failure and have decided to blame Him.

Not sure it ranks as failure until the season is over. Seems wrong to hang this on the D when they're actually playing a LOT better than they were earlier in the season, when they were getting turnovers while giving up 500 yards.

I haven't really participated in the circular firing squad that is Huskerboard as of late, but I will weigh in on this one. The coaches claim to not see the fumble issues in practice. Al I can say is "So Sherlock, has there even been a fleeting thought that you won't have a lot of fumbles when you practice with a minimum of contact? Has it even occurred to you that you aren't doing them any favors on Saturday by treating them like fine China during the week?" If a lot of these guys aren't getting really nailed until game time, it is no wonder that they're coughing up the ball.