Nebraska turnovers suggest deeper issues

I haven't really participated in the circular firing squad that is Huskerboard as of late, but I will weigh in on this one. The coaches claim to not see the fumble issues in practice. Al I can say is "So Sherlock, has there even been a fleeting thought that you won't have a lot of fumbles when you practice with a minimum of contact? Has it even occurred to you that you aren't doing them any favors on Saturday by treating them like fine China during the week?" If a lot of these guys aren't getting really nailed until game time, it is no wonder that they're coughing up the ball.

In a recent presser, when asked about the fumble, Bo said that if they saw fumbles in practice it would be addressed but they just don't see them. This has been one of several comments about practicing better than they play. IMO, if Bo is back next year, the staff really needs to go out and look at the way the current "elite teams" are practicing. Do they go 1's on 1's, full contact, is contact limited by the NCAA? Why doesn't our good practice translate to good games. To give he taff the benefit of the doubt, they might not see the craptastic play we get when we go live. No way a staff could see these miscues in practice and not correct.

I haven't really participated in the circular firing squad that is Huskerboard as of late, but I will weigh in on this one. The coaches claim to not see the fumble issues in practice. Al I can say is "So Sherlock, has there even been a fleeting thought that you won't have a lot of fumbles when you practice with a minimum of contact? Has it even occurred to you that you aren't doing them any favors on Saturday by treating them like fine China during the week?" If a lot of these guys aren't getting really nailed until game time, it is no wonder that they're coughing up the ball.

In a recent presser, when asked about the fumble, Bo said that if they saw fumbles in practice it would be addressed but they just don't see them. This has been one of several comments about practicing better than they play. IMO, if Bo is back next year, the staff really needs to go out and look at the way the current "elite teams" are practicing. Do they go 1's on 1's, full contact, is contact limited by the NCAA? Why doesn't our good practice translate to good games. To give he taff the benefit of the doubt, they might not see the craptastic play we get when we go live. No way a staff could see these miscues in practice and not correct.

From what I've heard the NCAA limits the amount of contact drills that can be done during practice.

These stats are insane and this is the largest issue we are dealing with at Nebraska. If we can figure this crap out, then we'd be sitting pretty good when you think about it.

I personally haven't been to practices but I know a few people that have and we have talked about it. I also listen to sports radio and have heard the input of some guys that have knowledge of the situation so I'm not really stating the problems as something I have seen personally by any means. I've simply heard from analysts, journalist and players that there is a lack of contact and not a lot of full speed ones vs. ones scrimmaging.

I wasn't trying to make a rocket science type of statement, I thought it was an obvious thing that could help this team dramatically. Former players have said how efficient and effective Tom Osbornes practices were. Has Bo ever looked for any outside advice on maybe improving some things they do? Some changes on what they focus on? I mean, when you read about how much turnovers have cost this team, damn, wouldn't it be worth it to prepare these guys a little better during the week by asking for some help from some people that have been there and done it. As all knowing as you are dumbnet, you would recognize the fact that Bo hasn't exactly been a HC for a long time. He wasn't in control of how the teams practiced simply by being a DC was he? Considering turnovers are an offensive problem I'm not sure how Bos previous experience as a defensive coach helps him a whole lot in this area?

In addition to Taylor's turnover propensity, the turnover problem from the last couple of years initially seemed to be due to the offense practicing too many plays and not having enough repetition of core plays that would produce consistency. The turnovers were somewhat reduced initially once Beck reduced the number of plays practiced and increased the repetition. Could the current problems now be due to the fact that 2 quarterbacks are each taking half the snaps, instead of taking most of the snaps in practice? Repetition does produce consistency.

In addition to Taylor's turnover propensity, the turnover problem from the last couple of years initially seemed to be due to the offense practicing too many plays and not having enough repetition of core plays that would produce consistency. The turnovers were somewhat reduced initially once Beck reduced the number of plays practiced and increased the repetition. Could the current problems now be due to the fact that 2 quarterbacks are each taking half the snaps, instead of taking most of the snaps in practice? Repetition does produce consistency.

Not sure how that causes AA to continue to put the ball on the turf inside the 5.

Not sure how that causes AA to continue to put the ball on the turf inside the 5.

While that was a killer turnover yesterday, has Ameer fumbled inside the 5 this season? I honestly don't remember. He seems to be fumbling less this year.

While that was a killer turnover yesterday, has Ameer fumbled inside the 5 this season? I honestly don't remember. He seems to be fumbling less this year.

He had a bad fumble against UCLA when we were driving to make it a two score game again in the 4th.

I personally haven't been to practices but I know a few people that have and we have talked about it. I also listen to sports radio and have heard the input of some guys that have knowledge of the situation so I'm not really stating the problems as something I have seen personally by any means. I've simply heard from analysts, journalist and players that there is a lack of contact and not a lot of full speed ones vs. ones scrimmaging.

I wasn't trying to make a rocket science type of statement, I thought it was an obvious thing that could help this team dramatically. Former players have said how efficient and effective Tom Osbornes practices were. Has Bo ever looked for any outside advice on maybe improving some things they do? Some changes on what they focus on? I mean, when you read about how much turnovers have cost this team, damn, wouldn't it be worth it to prepare these guys a little better during the week by asking for some help from some people that have been there and done it. As all knowing as you are dumbnet, you would recognize the fact that Bo hasn't exactly been a HC for a long time. He wasn't in control of how the teams practiced simply by being a DC was he? Considering turnovers are an offensive problem I'm not sure how Bos previous experience as a defensive coach helps him a whole lot in this area?

Agree. Everyone has weaknesses. You cannot be the best at everything. Bo needs help on Turnovers (preventing them and forcing them from the opposition. Bo also needs help on punt returns.

Agree. Everyone has weaknesses. You cannot be the best at everything. Bo needs help on Turnovers (preventing them and forcing them from the opposition. Bo also needs help on punt returns.

Belichick was here last year....Bo needs better assistants or maybe they need to go on sabaticals?