Corey Cooper and "the push"

cooper did what he think was right... i don't have a problem with it.. however with the game going how it is lately i think this breeds some hesitancy by players... resulting in a damned if you do damed if you don't game

What's the worse damning? You get a penalty or you let the opponent score a touchdown? I'd take the penalty, and I would hope these guys are being coached from here on out to play to the whistle and don't try to make judgement calls like that. Just play football.

Bo Pelini,as quoted in the OWH, is not angry at Coop for his apparent whif on PSU TE touchdown catch and run down the sideline. He mention Coop was afraid to tackle him because he thought the TE stepped out and if he tackled him a penalty would tack on extra yards. Thoughts?

I think Bo is right and Coop was thinking on the fly. If Coop makes the tackle, he'd bring the guy down out of bounds which draws flags like crazy these days! Smart thinking by Coop but poor end result.

It is silly that the game has become so regulated that a player would even have to think about making a tackle on a play running full speed.

I love how your initial response to every other point I made was "whatever".

You realize whistles have been used in football to initiate and signal an end to a play for many many years now right? You know what one of the first things I was taught in the earliest level of the game I can remember, even Pee Wee flag football? Play til' the whistle blows. Cooper being a division 1 college football player, I can't tell you how many times he has probably heard this. Him being a safety, playing til the whistle blows probably couldn't be stressed more at that position considering there is nobody behind him. If he heard a whistle and that's why he let up, then that's a refs mistake. If there was no whistle and he just let up because he "thought" the guy stepped out....then that's a bullsh#t excuse. Refs are in this game for a reason, you let them decide when the play is over by blowing the whistle, just like every other f'ing team in this country does.

But you can't block a guy 3 feet behind the ball carrier.

You realize whistles have been used in football to initiate and signal an end to a play for many many years now right? You know what one of the first things I was taught in the earliest level of the game I can remember, even Pee Wee flag football? Play til' the whistle blows. Cooper being a division 1 college football player, I can't tell you how many times he has probably heard this. Him being a safety, playing til the whistle blows probably couldn't be stressed more at that position considering there is nobody behind him. If he heard a whistle and that's why he let up, then that's a refs mistake. If there was no whistle and he just let up because he "thought" the guy stepped out....then that's a bullsh#t excuse. Refs are in this game for a reason, you let them decide when the play is over by blowing the whistle, just like every other f'ing team in this country does.

This game has become sketchy as hell. That ref had no way of knowing what might happen there. Burtch had an opportunity to eliminate a defender andmhe did. I thought it was a bogus call. Let's leave it to the refs to keep f'ing it up. We just need to play football.

This game has become sketchy as hell. That ref had no way of knowing what might happen there. Burtch had an opportunity to eliminate a defender andmhe did. I thought it was a bogus call. Let's leave it to the refs to keep f'ing it up. We just need to play football.

+1

cooper did what he think was right... i don't have a problem with it.. however with the game going how it is lately i think this breeds some hesitancy by players... resulting in a damned if you do damed if you don't game

What's the worse damning? You get a penalty or you let the opponent score a touchdown? I'd take the penalty, and I would hope these guys are being coached from here on out to play to the whistle and don't try to make judgement calls like that. Just play football.

But if Cooper believed he stepped out of bounds, letting him score wouldn't have been an option. For him, it was have the ball located where the guy stepped out or a 15 yard penalty. Now just letting him go isn't what I would have done; I probably would have just wrapped him up as I was heading out of bounds, forcing him to go out of bounds with me. But if Cooper did in fact believe that the guy stepped, I can see why he didn't want to take a chance.

But if Cooper believed he stepped out of bounds, letting him score wouldn't have been an option. For him, it was have the ball located where the guy stepped out or a 15 yard penalty. Now just letting him go isn't what I would have done; I probably would have just wrapped him up as I was heading out of bounds, forcing him to go out of bounds with me. But if Cooper did in fact believe that the guy stepped, I can see why he didn't want to take a chance.

That's what I'm saying tough. Don't take the chance. Just push him out of bounds. Don't blast him, but in this game,if you didn't hear a whistle, you still play. That's how it used to be anyway. Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen Huskers standing around and quitting before the play was over. I guess I would need to know if he heard a whistle. Other than that he has no reason to be letting up on a play based off of what he "thinks" "might" have happened.

MichiganDad3, I don't know if you were addressing me with the "play through the whistle" comments, but I agree with you entirely if you believe that the whistle decides when to let up and when to keep playing. That's how I believe it has always been coached and it should still be a good rule of thumb.

However, I wasn't being totally sarcastic when I said I don't know how they do it any more regarding whistles. I see Westerkamp thrown to the wolves every punt return, and my past experiences say that one either sets up to pressure the kick or to get a return, and now we have this third thing we do on punts, which is...???

...and if that's the case, maybe the same thing has happened with "playing through the whistle" as has happened with trying to make a play during a punt. I see a lot of things any more on the football that flies in the face of what I have seen as "normal" for the last 40 years.

That's what I'm saying tough. Don't take the chance. Just push him out of bounds. Don't blast him, but in this game,if you didn't hear a whistle, you still play. That's how it used to be anyway. Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time I've seen Huskers standing around and quitting before the play was over. I guess I would need to know if he heard a whistle. Other than that he has no reason to be letting up on a play based off of what he "thinks" "might" have happened.

Yeah he messed up. I'm sure he will learn from it, and will do it differently next time. I'm not gonna dwell on it too much, because we don't know what would have happened anyway. They still might have scored a touchdown anyway, since Cooper's "whiff" was around the 20 or so.

It's not as easy to hear a whistle when the wind is blowing 30 mph through your earholes and 95,000 people are yelling because a pass was completed. I think he understands going forward to make 100% sure the receiver is out of bounds. It was a split second decision and I'm sure he wasn't looking forward to the butt chewing he would get if the flag was thrown.