So Bo's staying. Now what?

papersun87

Question for any one who might know this as I do not have the answer. Is the strength and conditioning coach actually under Bo's discretion? I've done a few different searches and can only seem to find the salary/listing of positional coaches. Is it even realistic to expect Bo to make a change in this area or is this something that Eichorst and the big shots have to make? Here's a link from the Detroit Free Press that breaks down by every school in the Big 10 which I'm basing this off of.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130519/SPORTS08/130517010/

To follow up on my link above, I'm perplexed as to how Cotton is still part of this staff outside of the fact that we all know Bo is very loyal to his colleagues... The guy seems to dabble in a little bit of everything yet the results from his work here do not justify his position as a staff member and his salary. I've always expressed my dissatisfaction with Beck's play calling, how he is the 2nd highest paid assistant in the Big 10 is beyond me. I would be in support of both Cotton and Beck getting the cut and using those funds to get an offensive coordinator who has a track record.

The fact that a guy like Narduzzi, who is mentioned on every "hot coaching candidate" this offseason, is getting paid less than Beck on base salary alone speaks volumes to the fact that we can bring in a stud who can add value and it wouldn't necessarily require breaking the bank

To follow up on my link above, I'm perplexed as to how Cotton is still part of this staff outside of the fact that we all know Bo is very loyal to his colleagues... The guy seems to dabble in a little bit of everything yet the results from his work here do not justify his position as a staff member and his salary. I've always expressed my dissatisfaction with Beck's play calling, how he is the 2nd highest paid assistant in the Big 10 is beyond me. I would be in support of both Cotton and Beck getting the cut and using those funds to get an offensive coordinator who has a track record.

The fact that a guy like Narduzzi, who is mentioned on every "hot coaching candidate" this offseason, is getting paid less than Beck on base salary alone speaks volumes to the fact that we can bring in a stud who can add value and it wouldn't necessarily require breaking the bank

Because every single linemen we have was a Cotton recruit. The reason the line held up? Barney Cotton coached each and every one of them and was in on every decision made from who to play and where to play them....

This simply is not true... Check recruiting profiles my man, Garrison has played a roll as well. And your statement is kind of pointless, who else is going to recruit OL?? The WR coach? The LB coach? Special teams? Isn't it kind of obvious our OL would be recruited by the line coach?

I don't have an ounce of faith in Bo being able to objectively judge and correct his issues. He has his strengths but seems so proud and stubborn that he is totally blind to some obvious issues. Don't know what there is to do except hope the insight suddenly hits him via lighting bolt to the tip of the penis.

Because every single linemen we have was a Cotton recruit. The reason the line held up? Barney Cotton coached each and every one of them and was in on every decision made from who to play and where to play them....

This simply is not true... Check recruiting profiles my man, Garrison has played a roll as well. And your statement is kind of pointless, who else is going to recruit OL?? The WR coach? The LB coach? Special teams? Isn't it kind of obvious our OL would be recruited by the line coach?

From the Rate Our Recruiters thread

Since this tread was started around NSD 2012, I thought it might be interesting to see who each guy "got" for the 2013 class. 247 lists a primary and secondary so I listed both if there were two. Obviously geography and what position we took more of make a difference but it might be interesting to watch over a few years.

Barney Cotton - Josh Banderas, Cethan Carter, AJ Natter, Dwayne Johnson, Greg Hart, Nathan Gerry, Matt Finnin

John Garrison - David Knevel, Zach Hannon, Dwayne Johnson, Maliek Collins, Chongo Kondolo, Matt Finnin

Rick Kaczenski - Randy Gregory, Adam Taylor, Ernest Suttles, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice

John Papuchis - Courtney Love, AJ Natter, Greg Hart, Kevin Gladney, Kevin Maurice, Gabriel Miller

Terry Joseph - Cethan Carter, DJ Singleton, Nathan Gerry, Boaz Joseph

Rich Fisher - Terrell Newby, Chongo Kondolo, Kevin Gladney

Ross Els - Josh Banderas, Courtney Love, DJ Singleton

Ron Brown - Terrell Newby, Adam Taylor

Tim Beck - David Knevel, Johnny Stanton

Bo Pelini - Drake Martinez

Bill Callahan - None

Must be bored. Here's 2012:

John Garrison - Michael Rose, Jordan Westerkamp, Corey Whitaker, Sam Cotton

John Papuchis - Greg McMullen, Vincent Valentine

Ross Els - Michael Rose, Jared Afalava, Zaire Anderson

Ron Brown - Jared Afalava, Imani Cross, Avery Moss

Tim Beck - Alonzo Moore, Tommy Armstrong

Barney Cotton - Paul Thurston

Rick Kaczenski - Aaron Curry

Rich Fisher - Thomas Brown

Bo Pelini - None

It simply is true...PERIOD.

Cotton was the O-Line coach until last year. We have 0 true freshman playing on the offensive line. All the recruits had to be signed off by him....we didn't recruit them unless he gave the OK because he was the HEAD OLINE COACH.

Any recruit we bring in from this year onward is a Garrison recruit.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way, keep saying that Cotton didn't bring these boys in.

When did I say he did not bring these guys in? I specifically said Garrison has played a role as well, not to mention was the lead guy for our top OL recruit in the upcoming class. This thread is titled, Bo is staying, now what... What's your opinion on this, to throw out an idea on potential change or defend a guy who's had an up and down performance since he's been here. I simply said, I don't understand the redundancy and the fact that BECK is the 2nd highest paid assistant in the Big 10... couldn't those $$$ be better spent elsewhere?

You did not respond to my initial statement of getting rid of both of these guys and going after an established O coordinator which was pretty much the subject of my post

fair enough. but this goes beyond if he can do better. we are playing some weak competition. and if you look at the totality of the circumstances, we have seen enough of him as a head coach to fairly determine that he does not deserve another year.

Were Ohio St. and Wisconsin playing weak competition today as well?

Yeah.

yes.

So others - even the best teams in our conference and elsewhere - struggle with "weak competition". And not only "weak competition", but teams we beat.

When are people going to figure out that there isn't much difference team #10 and team #50 (give or take a few on each end)? Probably even includes everone but the top 5-6 teams most years.

So others - even the best teams in our conference and elsewhere - struggle with "weak competition". And not only "weak competition", but teams we beat.

When are people going to figure out that there isn't much difference team #10 and team #50 (give or take a few on each end)? Probably even includes everone but the top 5-6 teams most years.

psu and mich. are not weak competition? excited to see how osu does against fsu.

So if we beat a #10 team (this is hypothetical, of course) we should not claim it as an accomplishment of any sort, considering it's basically the same as beating a #40 or #50 team. Good to know.

Of course, we could look at computer rating systems and see that the gap between 10 and 50 has actually widened slightly, on average, over the past decade. But we wouldn't want to bring any actual numbers into the discussion.

• Fire 1

psu and mich. are not weak competition? excited to see how osu does against fsu.

Not what I said. My point is what many like to call "weak competition" are actually pretty competitive. Doesn't mean they don't have flaws. But most teams have big flaws, we just notice NU's more because we follow them closer.

As I said, not much different between teams 10-50 or whatever in today's game. We beat two teams who just played what everyone thought was the class of our conference and were very successful. Just because we have flaws doesn't constitute that we can't be competitive.

Not what I said. My point is what many like to call "weak competition" are actually pretty competitive. Doesn't mean they don't have flaws. But most teams have big flaws, we just notice NU's more because we follow them closer.

As I said, not much different between teams 10-50 or whatever in today's game. We beat two teams who just played what everyone thought was the class of our conference and were very successful. Just because we have flaws doesn't constitute that we can't be competitive.

oh, we absolutely can and should be competitive. that is my point. we are underperforming.

but those games were exceptional. mich./osu is a major rivalry generally played close regardless of the quality of the teams. and psu was essentially playing their bowl game.

Class of our conference? We only played 1 of the 'class' teams this year, and lost by 13. We didn't play OSU or Wisky. And the last time we saw them last year, they were scoring at will. Right now Mich is running on their name, as they have done even less than we have since the conference expansion.

Class of our conference? We only played 1 of the 'class' teams this year, and lost by 13. We didn't play OSU or Wisky. And the last time we saw them last year, they were scoring at will. Right now Mich is running on their name, as they have done even less than we have since the conference expansion.

But since Michigan almost beat OSU, that means they are almost as good as OSU. So by beating Michigan we pretty much beat OSU.