So Bo's staying. Now what?

papersun87

Hey at least we are a national story right now. First time we can say that in a long time. Any publicity is good publicity right?

If I'm not mistaken, so far this has been Bo's worst year in recruiting, so I'm thinking he bad publicity (and performance on the field) are going to result in his worst recruiting class yet.

yeah, we are 41st in our recruiting class so far......typical.

Now that Eichorst has confirmed that Bo's staying, what does he need to do to win YOU over, Bo-leaver? First, winning a bowl game sure would help. Everyone feels a little cheerier after a bowl win. And if the opponent happens to be Oklahoma or Texas then all the more. Second, failing that, a staff shakeup would go a long ways. I am of the opinion that Papuchis, Beck, Els, and Dobson all need pink slips. While I think Kaczenski, Fisher, Brown, Joseph, Cotton, and Garrison have earned their stay I sure hope if Bo is going to shake things up he would hire externally and not promote (which is part of to Bo-haters' beef against him) and surely any new OC/DC would bring in their own guys.
Next year we'll have an actual experienced defense with both 1 year in experience under their belt and 1+ year in the weight room and nutrition program. Everyone will be bigger and faster on our defensive side. For guys like Vincent Velentine, Maleik Collins, Randy Gregory and M. Rose....that is a very scary concept...think of all the talent we return on the defensive side of the ball and if they put it together like I think they will....we're going to have a really great defense. Think of all the talent at RB and receiver that we return next year. Now think of all the rotations and actual game experience all our backups got this year. They'll also be 1 year bigger and faster. Don't forget that we have guys like Matt Finnan, David Knevel, and Chongo Kondolo. To me, having 3 guys who are 6-8 and 315lbs or more on the offensive line is crazy! Exciting stuff. I think next year is going to be a very, very exciting and big year for the Huskers. That's how I keep the sunshine flowing...I think of all the incoming talent and experience we have had. I also keep in mind that just before big things happened in the 1990's (1990-1993)...Nebraska had a string of average seasons but you could tell that there was an influx of amazing talent injected into the program. This time right now reminds me of that. I for one, would like all the crapping on the coach to go away. We've got him for at least another season. Let's get behind the team and cheer for them and let all these recruits who haven't committed yet know how the best fans in college football do things!

I am hoping for the best. but

think of all the turnovers

think of all the horrible punt returns

think of ll the embarrassing sideline antics

think of the all poor behavior in press conferences

But maybe, Bo reflects on the last six years and makes some changes. IMO, Bo was much better on the sideline and in press conferences this year until the Iowa game. If he wasn't told something by SE before the game, why would he change his behavior?

It seems to me the Bo-backers are suffering from something similar to battered wife syndrome. "He only gets mad because he loves me so much". "He only tells me to go blank myself because he's so passionate". "I have to stay with him because no one else would want me". "Its my fault , I make him do these things"

Its kind of sad really.

The humor on this board is helping me deal with these difficult circumstances :)

After yesterday, very surprising. Can't say I'm looking forward to the future that much with the toxic atmosphere that goes back to our head coach, but he is at least a good mind and the team loves him. I don't think Bo is capable of fewer than nine wins.

When he wins he's a bully on the pulpit, when he loses he lashes out. This needs to change, the fan experience delivered needs to be valued. Class is about more than sticking up for your guys, and at Nebraska we like to see our guys have it.

I wonder if the team really loves him. Several players have left the team. Perhaps only his favorites like him?

• Fire 1

Definitely not hard to be excited about the players we have on defense, and on offense. All in all, I'll say that this with be Bo's most talented and (and is a keyword here) experienced team since 2009.

yeah, because 2009 was such an overwhelming success. wait, all the failures from that year was watson's fault. now we just have beck in our way to true greatness.

I would think that some people would welcome a season like 2009. Losing 3 games by a combined 4 points. Two of those to ranked teams. One of those in the Big XII Championship against #3 Texas.

i guess that is as good as we should expect, now. close losses and losing to better teams in ccg's.

I mean, I guess I don't know what to say.

If I say we should expect better, then I'm just going to get ripped apart because I want Bo Pelini as our head coach. And that I must not have high expectations for our program. If I say we shouldn't expect better, then I'm going to get ripped apart even more.

We have Bo around for one more year. Understandably, that's not the option that most people on here want. I'm sorry, I don't know what to say to you guys.

I would think that some people would welcome a season like 2009. Losing 3 games by a combined 4 points. Two of those to ranked teams. One of those in the Big XII Championship against #3 Texas.

i guess that is as good as we should expect, now. close losses and losing to better teams in ccg's.

If I say we should expect better, then I'm just going to get ripped apart because I want Bo Pelini as our head coach. And that I must not have high expectations for our program. If I say we shouldn't expect better, then I'm going to get ripped apart even more.

We have Bo around for one more year. Understandably, that's not the option that most people on here want. I'm sorry, I don't know what to say to you guys.

so you do not think we should expect more from bo? you do not think we will be able to do better than 2009 if we give bo one more year (or 20 more years)?

so you do not think we should expect more from bo? you do not think we will be able to do better than 2009 if we give bo one more year (or 20 more years)?

I think Bo can do better.

fair enough. but this goes beyond if he can do better. we are playing some weak competition. and if you look at the totality of the circumstances, we have seen enough of him as a head coach to fairly determine that he does not deserve another year.

fair enough. but this goes beyond if he can do better. we are playing some weak competition. and if you look at the totality of the circumstances, we have seen enough of him as a head coach to fairly determine that he does not deserve another year.

And I won't argue with anyone who says that.

I think we have been messed up by injuries this year. But the frustrating part about that, is that we won games and we were in our biggest game (Michigan State) despite those injuries. So it would be logical to ask how much those injuries really hurt us?

I think we'll be fine next year. I really do. I'd like to see Beck go. But I'll give Bo one more year to do better. And not record wise, just product on the field. We'll have our chance to prove how for real we want to be early next year (@ Fresno, vs. Miami, vs. Illinois, and then @ Michigan State). And then we'll have another chance @ Wisconsin.

After yesterday, very surprising. Can't say I'm looking forward to the future that much with the toxic atmosphere that goes back to our head coach, but he is at least a good mind and the team loves him. I don't think Bo is capable of fewer than nine wins.

When he wins he's a bully on the pulpit, when he loses he lashes out. This needs to change, the fan experience delivered needs to be valued. Class is about more than sticking up for your guys, and at Nebraska we like to see our guys have it.

I wonder if the team really loves him. Several players have left the team. Perhaps only his favorites like him?

I can tell you for certain not all the players "love him." I think most have a respect for him and appreciate he sticks up for him. But I know there are many players who are fine either way whether he leaves or stays. Take it for what its worth.

Were Ohio St. and Wisconsin playing weak competition today as well?

Yeah.

yes.

Now that Eichorst has confirmed that Bo's staying, what does he need to do to win YOU over, Bo-leaver?

He would need to start with staff changes. Removing all the current Strength and Conditioning staff to start with.

Hire a full recruiting staff like the SEC teams have.

Fire himself from being DC, and bring in a DC and probably half the defensive assistants need to change.

Make former players a staple around the program. Some of the old retired coaches too. Bring them in, not only to talk to the kids, but to the coaches. About the culture. And what they should be playing for.

Unfortunately I do not see any of these things happening. I see a rerun of what we have watched this year. With the ready made excuse of 'youth' being a feature, and a word that will probably make me puke by October of next year.