Doubting Husker fan status

tmfr15

Wondering what it would take for Bo backers to change tgeir minds. How many blow outs, blow ups and bad recruiting classes do you need Q? History says 2014.will bring more of the same I am always going to have fond feelings in regrd to the program because of many great memories. As for caring whether the curren team wins or not...well, just not as likely to care. Tgats all

That's actually number 2 on my list of two questions I would love every "Bo-liever" to answer.

The first is, "What about these past few seasons gives you any hope for the future with Bo?"

We have some very talented young players coming back on defense. Our Defense improved tremendously throughout the year. There were obvious adjustments made to the defense as the season went on the the young squad jelled and became a very good defense. They did give up points but many were the results of turnovers that were beyond their control.

At times TA looked exceptionally good running the offense behind what was a patchwork O line. Without injuries decimating the O I feel we have a very solid offensive unit coming back that will be more than capable to win games. I would like to see the offense tweeked a bit much like the defense was this year. I feel that will be possible without the plethora of injuries the staff had to deal with throughout the season.

The second is, "What will it take for you to finally agree Bo should be let go?"

Lack of improvement, the team quitting on him and not playing hard. I would honestly have no problems if he were let go this year. I also believe that we are very close to being a top team and I believe Bo can get us there.

I think the answers would be illuminating.

Not really. I don't know the answers. No one on this board really knows the answers. We may keep Bo and win the national title next year just the same as we could keep him and go 4-8. We could bring a new coach in and suddenly become a top 5 team or we could have the bottom fall out like Rich Rod at Michigan.

I do wish the their was a clear answer but there is not. I do feel that Pelini has turned the program around from what it was under Cally. I do feel that he has made plenty of mistakes but that he has grown as a coach. I also feel that he can take us to the next level. I might be right, might be wrong.

Wondering what it would take for Bo backers to change tgeir minds. How many blow outs, blow ups and bad recruiting classes do you need Q? History says 2014.will bring more of the same I am always going to have fond feelings in regrd to the program because of many great memories. As for caring whether the curren team wins or not...well, just not as likely to care. Tgats all

That's actually number 2 on my list of two questions I would love every "Bo-liever" to answer.

The first is, "What about these past few seasons gives you any hope for the future with Bo?"

We have some very talented young players coming back on defense. Our Defense improved tremendously throughout the year. There were obvious adjustments made to the defense as the season went on the the young squad jelled and became a very good defense. They did give up points but many were the results of turnovers that were beyond their control.

At times TA looked exceptionally good running the offense behind what was a patchwork O line. Without injuries decimating the O I feel we have a very solid offensive unit coming back that will be more than capable to win games. I would like to see the offense tweeked a bit much like the defense was this year. I feel that will be possible without the plethora of injuries the staff had to deal with throughout the season.

The second is, "What will it take for you to finally agree Bo should be let go?"

Lack of improvement, the team quitting on him and not playing hard. I would honestly have no problems if he were let go this year. I also believe that we are very close to being a top team and I believe Bo can get us there.

I think the answers would be illuminating.

Not really. I don't know the answers. No one on this board really knows the answers. We may keep Bo and win the national title next year just the same as we could keep him and go 4-8. We could bring a new coach in and suddenly become a top 5 team or we could have the bottom fall out like Rich Rod at Michigan.

I do wish the their was a clear answer but there is not. I do feel that Pelini has turned the program around from what it was under Cally. I do feel that he has made plenty of mistakes but that he has grown as a coach. I also feel that he can take us to the next level. I might be right, might be wrong.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/68134-from-shawn-eichorst/page__view__findpost__p__1284581

"The D improved throughout the year and looked much better than last year."

Last year's schedule included the #11 (Georgia), #13 (UCLA), #24 (Ark State), #43 (Wisconsin x 2) offenses. The offenses we faced last year ranked an average of 64.

The highest ranked offense we faced this year was #21 (Wyoming). The next highest was #42 (UCLA). The offenses we faced this year ranked an average of 76.

Many fans perceived a supposed "improvement" after SDSU, starting with the Illinois game. Interestingly, the teams we faced before Illinois ranked an average of 59 in total offense. The teams we faced after? An average of 83. Worst of all, the one exception to our illusory "improvement" -- Minnesota -- ranks just 106 in total offense.

To conclude, we played worse offenses this year than in 2012. And the "improvement" over the course of this season nicely correlated with a downturn in the quality of offense we faced, except for the aberration in Minnesota, which absolutely ran wild on us.

"The O was decimated by injuries, but at times with TA running it, seemed very effective. Hard to really judge the O with the number of injuries, but the D was easily much improved."

The injuries have been overblown. And, in any event, saying the team was decimated by injuries does not qualify as "improvement."

"We defeated a Michigan team that is taking it to Ohio State, were in the game with a possible top 10 Michigan State despite 5 turnovers. Last year we took it to a Georgia team (for 3 quarters) that was 5 yards away from possibly being the national champion."

The transitive property does not work in college football. How do I know? Because we got boat raced by the same Wisconsin team we beat earlier that same year in 2012. Northwestern played Ohio State to a very tight game earlier this season. We beat Northwestern, which is (still?) winless in the Big Ten. Should we pat ourselves on the back?

Also, you can't "despite 5 turnovers." The turnovers happened. And they are a hallmark of this team and have been since Bo has been here. We are near the very bottom of all college football in turnovers.

"And I honestly believe without the injuries or even with a healthy TM we go 10-2 this year and are playing for a Rose Bowl birth."

Maybe. But again, this is not identifying "improvement." It is speculation. In any event, there will be no Martinez next year, nor all the offensive linemen that were supposedly "injured." So Bo is going to have to contend with those same personnel loses next year as he did this year. If what we saw this year is what we can expect next year, why should we have optimism? That was the point of this exercise, no?

• Fire 1

Ya'll are just starting to get crap from the "Bo-leavers." Until recently, the torches and pitchforks were out for anyone who dared criticize Bo. You might be getting it now, but just imagine how that would feel when (1) 80% of the people are against you and (2) it persists for years. Sucks, right?

The other factor you're forgetting is that you've never been on the "Bo-leaver" side, but I have been on your side. You would have a point if we all started out hating Pelini from day one, but that's not the case. I supported Pelini through the A&M thing and 2011. Felt we were on the brink. My confidence eroded in 2012, was on life support after the Big Ten CCG last year, and died at UCLA this year.

The torch and pitchforks have been out for a while now for both sides, don't kid yourself.

Since you are near LSU go read the LSU boards and see what they think about Pelini. Guarantee 99% think he's a complete ass and can't believe he's still here. Same thing on ShaggyBevo. Well-informed fans from other programs cannot believe Pelini hasn't been fired. That's telling.

To be fair I have no respect for LSU fan and consider LSU fans to be one of the most classless fan bases around. I really don't care what their opinions are.

• Fire 1

Bo catches crap all f'ing year, then has to deal with sh**ty calls. The fans call for his head 55 seconds out of every minute. His team cant seem to focus and he doesn't know how to fix it. Media purposely tries to piss him off for more blowup footage.

Yeah, why wouldn't he be all sunshine and lollipops.

• Fire 2

Honestly if you bail on Nebraska because you are tired of the coach and want to gamble on a new one that's perfectly acceptable. Turn in your Husker fan card and pick your new team. I hear Alabama is hot right now. Just don't expect to get your card back when Nebraska gets back on top.

Bo catches crap all f'ing year, then has to deal with sh**ty calls. The fans call for his head 55 seconds out of every minute. His team cant seem to focus and he doesn't know how to fix it. Media purposely tries to piss him off for more blowup footage.

Think about the world at large and see if any of those things are actually that awful. And for a person making $3 million a year.

Think about the world at large and see if any of those things are actually that awful. And for a person making $3 million a year.

Still doesn't require him to be a nice guy. The only reason people give a damn about his demeanor is because of the loss. If we were 12-0 the same ones criticizing his attitude would praise it as a way of getting the team fired up and focused.

It's been a rough year but its not over yet. Got a Bowl to win.

• Fire 4

While I am still trying to wrap my mind around all that has happened, I still hold out some hope, however small, that I will recover from this and still be able to enjoy watching the Big Red with the same interest and excitment as I have in years past. After watching this team for well over 30 years, it would be a sad realization to know that I have lost interest.

Some have suggested that people who are frustrated with Bo, like myself, should just go ahead and pick a new favorite team. If only it were that easy. Just jump on the band waggon and enjoy yourself. Right.

I think it would be like moving to a new town and talking to your new friends about the town you used to live in, the experiences you had there and the friends you hung out with. They listen out of kindness, but in the back of their minds, they're thinking... I've never been to your old town, I wasn't there for any of those good times and I don't know any of those people, so please stop talking about it.

If you decided to cheer for... let's say Mizzou because they are hot right now, do you really think they would want to hear about the good times you had back in the day with the Huskers? I am guessing No.

Bottom line in a deal like this is that if you drop your favorite team, you most likely would be just stuck with not having a favorite team, which would be great in that you would avoid the let downs that people have when their favorite team loses, but you would also miss out on those highs that happen when your favorite team wins.

Like I said, there is a cooling off period going on here. For me, and others like me, if they exsist, the hope is that time heals wounds and the promise of another season come about August 2014 will be enough to get me back on board with the Huskers.

My Husker fandom goes back to those years when Husker fans were doubting TO, late 1980s and 90s. I backed Osborne. I was a fan of Solich and felt like his firing was wrong. I endured but hated BC and was glad when TO came back and hired BP. The BP experience has been frustrating because he has not progressed in the last few years and his Bobby Knight complex has continued. I went to Lincoln hoping to see a competitive game and did not even care if we won because of the BWW bowl possibilities vs Big 12. Then Bo acted like an idiot again and proved he can not handle himself with class in the face of adversity. In the hours that have followed fellow fans who have called for Bo to be held accountable for his continued bad behavior have been repeatedly demeaned an fans seem to be lining up behind Bo and totally excusing his actions. That has had a very chilling affect on my status as a fan. As I sit in a room surrounded by Husker merchandise it is hard to imagine not being a fan....but its starting to look more and more likely as the hours pass by.

Hey man don't worry about anyone else. Stick to what you believe in and hope for the best. So such and such guy doesn't believe what you do. Not a big deal man. So some guy says you aren't a real "fan" or blah blah blah. That person isn't worth your time and you won't be able to convince them to see things from a different perspective. Just enjoy talking or venting with the people you think are reasonable and forget about the ones who just want to get in a pissing match. Everything with our huskers will work out eventually one way or another. Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about what you can't control. Hope that helps and hope you stick with husker nation.

• Fire 4

My Husker fandom goes back to those years when Husker fans were doubting TO, late 1980s and 90s. I backed Osborne. I was a fan of Solich and felt like his firing was wrong. I endured but hated BC and was glad when TO came back and hired BP. The BP experience has been frustrating because he has not progressed in the last few years and his Bobby Knight complex has continued. I went to Lincoln hoping to see a competitive game and did not even care if we won because of the BWW bowl possibilities vs Big 12. Then Bo acted like an idiot again and proved he can not handle himself with class in the face of adversity. In the hours that have followed fellow fans who have called for Bo to be held accountable for his continued bad behavior have been repeatedly demeaned an fans seem to be lining up behind Bo and totally excusing his actions. That has had a very chilling affect on my status as a fan. As I sit in a room surrounded by Husker merchandise it is hard to imagine not being a fan....but its starting to look more and more likely as the hours pass by.

I share your frustration. I don't consider myself longer being a Husker fan, but rather I have a lack of hope for improvement with Bo in charge. I do not think he can improve the turnover issue, penalties or the sloppy play in general. I also think the number of public apologies Bo has been forced to make will hurt recruiting.

• Fire 1