Season of missed opportunities

walksalone

Go ahead and rip me apart for what I'm gonna say, I'm a huskerboard member, I'm pretty used to it...

I'm gonna look back on the season as the season of what could have been. Going into this season, there was alot of hope. We had an offense that was looked upon as one of the best in recent years. A schedule that was the most favorable since being in the B1G. The only real question was the defense.

Without the multitude of injuries, this season could have been a 2 or even a 1 loss season. Thats one of the two things that were two of the contributing factors to the current situation. The other was turnovers. Part of that was inexpirience at the QB position, which wouldn't have been as big an issue, without the injury to T-Mart.

What was the biggest question mark at the beginning of the season ended up being the strength of this team. The offense although reminded us of the 09 and 10 seasons, where fantastic defenses were wasted by lackluster offenses. Week to week you didn't know what you were going to get offensively.

Going forward, the turnover problem needs to be fixed, or getting to a CCG becomes increasingly more difficult. Is there room for recruiting, absolutely, but recruiting now is more difficult than 20 years ago.

The next 10 months is going to suck. The anti Bo crowd is going to continue to grumble, while the pro Bo crowd is going to rally against them.

I am of neither camp. I'd like to think I'm apart of a small group that just wants to see this team win.

• Fire 9

Excellent post. Not really anything to rip you about. We definitely could have been better. And our record could have been worse. Just depends on which side you want to look at more.

I honestly didn't think Bo would be back after yesterday, but now that he is, I look forward to next season. Perhaps it will be more of the same but if you've been watching the games today - one team we beat being a couple yards from beating Ohio St. and another team we beat in a great position to win in Madison - it wouldn't take a lot for us to be at the top of the B1G. Just have to see if we can get there or not.

This is definitely the season of missed opportunity. No question in my mind this team could have beaten UCLA, Minnysoda, Sparty and Iowa Stat. There's also no question in my mind we could have lost to Wyoming, Northwestern, Penn State and Michigan.

We will remember the struggles of new blood, the turmoil of the coaching, the injuries upon injuries, the turnovers aplenty, and the 4 losses. We will be quick to forget the heart the team showed when the deck was stacked against them, the great games we won, the fact we were the first to knock off Michigan in Ann Arbor, and that yet another Seniors career was cut too short.

We had a lot go wrong and the positives will be outweighed by the negativity. We are a program infused with tension. Direction is dizzy at best. We don't know what the future brings. It's borderline terrifying to be honest. Next year could be something special or a complete disaster. Either way, I'll be wearing red and saying go big red.

Except that T Mart himself is a walking turnover.

And the other guys that played were a lot better? Not to mention the fact that he was much better in limited action this year.

And Martinez can make a lot more things happen by himself than anyone else we have.

No, obviously the turnovers are a team wide issue.. But you listed to's as a large contributor to us failing to do as well as we should have and went on to say they would not have been a huge issue with our experienced qb at the helm.. I am not sure that you can say that in that tmart led the nation in turnovers..

Tmart brings more to the table than the backups for sure but at no point would you be comfortable in saying that you trust him completely to not make mistakes that cost a game or 2 either. He was never going to be solidly consistent.

Yeah I ragged on him plenty for this, but it's clear that it's a team problem not just him. It was the same with Zac Lee and the 2009 scoring explosion. And with Ganz to a lesser extent. It's our calling card of the Bo era.

Well the only way to fix the problem is to let the QBs get hit in practice. If I was a football coach, Im not sure Id want my starting QB getting hit all week just to practice hanging onto the football when being tackled.

Yeah I ragged on him plenty for this, but it's clear that it's a team problem not just him. It was the same with Zac Lee and the 2009 scoring explosion. And with Ganz to a lesser extent. It's our calling card of the Bo era.

Well the only way to fix the problem is to let the QBs get hit in practice. If I was a football coach, Im not sure Id want my starting QB getting hit all week just to practice hanging onto the football when being tackled.

Well that strategy is clearly working for us.