Next Year

strigori

the debates about nebraska's media are hilarious. how is it any different here than columbus, ann arbor, or any school in the sec (other than maybe it being a little softer)?

Ya, it's just like the twitter debate with our players being hounded by fans. Alabama clearly showed it's superior in that respect.

the debates about nebraska's media are hilarious. how is it any different here than columbus, ann arbor, or any school in the sec (other than maybe it being a little softer)?

It's not different and that's not what I was differentiating. Most of those universities are in college towns, not the major media markets.

Sker,

Do you feel we are seeing a good product on the field. If not, what are the reasons, you are quick to defend, with oneliners, but never much substance to your answer. I think you know quite a bit about football, at least a lot more than I do. I have not been impressed with on the field basic fundamentals, blocking tackling, knowing what they are supposed to be doing, a continuous look to the sidelines, normally resulting in time outs in criticaltimes.

Not being a smartass, just want to know why you feel so strong there is a golden rainbow at the end. I think a lot of us need to see it. I will support this year, financially, maybe not fully sold on the next year, convince me.

It's way too early to tell, but if the defense continues to mature and grow into something special - which it looks like they are becoming - we could have a fun year. And if we can get an offense that isn't the team's worst enemy and a functional special teams, we could really have fun watching this team next year. I know we just came off of a 3 TD loss to Iowa, but please step away from the ledge an actually look at the team that we have. The offense lost us the MSU and Iowa games by putting our defense in tough situations all game long. If that gets fixed, then this team has potential to win every game they play.

I'm a little optimistic about the D as well, but I could go both ways right now. After showing some promise against some (let's face it...bad B1G teams), NU gives up 79 points in two games in losses. At home.

41 of those points were to Mich. St. MSU has scored more than that this year..

vs. Youngstown State, Illinois, and Indiana. No point in discussing Youngstown State. Indiana is 117th in points against. Illinois is 106th in points against.

38 of those points were to Iowa. Iowa has only scored more points this year than that vs.?

Western Michigan. No one else.

You can make a case for turnovers/field position, and I get that. But it all still intertwines.

The majority of the points scored by MSU and Iowa were from turnovers by our offense... You can't blame that entirely on the defense.

It's way too early to tell, but if the defense continues to mature and grow into something special - which it looks like they are becoming - we could have a fun year. And if we can get an offense that isn't the team's worst enemy and a functional special teams, we could really have fun watching this team next year. I know we just came off of a 3 TD loss to Iowa, but please step away from the ledge an actually look at the team that we have. The offense lost us the MSU and Iowa games by putting our defense in tough situations all game long. If that gets fixed, then this team has potential to win every game they play.

I'm a little optimistic about the D as well, but I could go both ways right now. After showing some promise against some (let's face it...bad B1G teams), NU gives up 79 points in two games in losses. At home.

vs. Youngstown State, Illinois, and Indiana. No point in discussing Youngstown State. Indiana is 117th in points against. Illinois is 106th in points against.

38 of those points were to Iowa. Iowa has only scored more points this year than that vs.?

You can make a case for turnovers/field position, and I get that. But it all still intertwines.

The majority of the points scored by MSU and Iowa were from turnovers by our offense... You can't blame that entirely on the defense.

i believe they still show up on the scoreboard

Sker,

Do you feel we are seeing a good product on the field. If not, what are the reasons, you are quick to defend, with oneliners, but never much substance to your answer. I think you know quite a bit about football, at least a lot more than I do. I have not been impressed with on the field basic fundamentals, blocking tackling, knowing what they are supposed to be doing, a continuous look to the sidelines, normally resulting in time outs in criticaltimes.

Not being a smartass, just want to know why you feel so strong there is a golden rainbow at the end. I think a lot of us need to see it. I will support this year, financially, maybe not fully sold on the next year, convince me.

If you are referring to me, I think we are seeing a product on the field that is above average....but certainly not elite. The continuous look to the sidelines is far from unique to the Nebraska Cornhuskers. They are looking for a play call......perhaps a blitz call on defense or an audible on offense based on a change in formation. Tackling has been an issue. We're getting better in that regard. But all those times we hear coaches, whether Nebraska or any other school, say "we didn't execute"......missed tackles are a big part of that. Early on this season, I can't tell you how many TFL our LBs whiffed on....but it was a lot. At the end of the day, the main reason we were down the past 3 seasons has been our talent level. The level of talent on our DL this season compared to last season and the season before......is simply night and day. For as great of a guy as Stein was, he was an OL converted to a DT. Injuries forced a vastly undersized Cam Meredith to play DT. Those issues are all on Pelini as head man, but our recruiting the past 2 years shows he has learned quickly. And we just got the commit from the top juco DT today and we already have the commit from Newell. Both those DL are from Kansas and we took them from under Bill Snyder's nose. I'm not necessarily trying to convince anyone of anything......but I believe recruiting is a key in college football. Pelini's recruiting batting average is improving quickly and in a big way. We have more NFL caliber talent across the board on our DL than we've had in possibly a decade.

Sorry I did not post it when I typed it up, but it was directed towards thesker.

I really just need someone that knows, to explain why they have such high hopes, why they believe things will change so much this coming year. I know there are coaches on this forum, and most if not all are more knowledgeable about this than I am. I just watch it because I love the state, the University and the people of Nebraska.

I do not know schemes or versions of offense like some of you do. That is what I am looking for, a person that coaches the game, knows all the intricacies of it and sees where we are improving, how we take those steps.

Just a dummy, that loves Nebraska, wants us to play great football, win or lose. I really do not think I have seen great football, or at least what I think is great football. I watch just about every team out there, Bama is what I would like to see us play like. Stanford and even KState are teams that do things right, fundamentals are evident to me. I do not see those all the time with our team. At times I do, then the next series it is Jekyl and Hyde it seems.

No, really? You don't say.... (Insert Nicholas Cage gif)

Foppa points out that MSU scored 41 on us, and Iowa scored 38 on us. My point is that over the course of those 2 games, the offense/special teams gave the ball to the opposing offense deep in our own territory because of turnovers. If not for the turnovers in each of those games - or even if we turn it over half as much - then we win both of those games. The defense played well enough against both teams to win it, and the offense was getting plenty of production despite the turnovers. Our defense has done a damn good job ever since halftime of the Northwestern game, and they will only continue to get better.

We are playing 13 kids on our 2-deep defensive units who are either freshmen or sophomores. 13! And a majority of those are in the front 7. If the coaches can find good replacements for Ciante and SJB next year, this defense could be scary.

No, really? You don't say.... (Insert Nicholas Cage gif)

Foppa points out that MSU scored 41 on us, and Iowa scored 38 on us. My point is that over the course of those 2 games, the offense/special teams gave the ball to the opposing offense deep in our own territory because of turnovers. If not for the turnovers in each of those games - or even if we turn it over half as much - then we win both of those games. The defense played well enough against both teams to win it, and the offense was getting plenty of production despite the turnovers. Our defense has done a damn good job ever since halftime of the Northwestern game, and they will only continue to get better.

We are playing 13 kids on our 2-deep defensive units who are either freshmen or sophomores. 13! And a majority of those are in the front 7. If the coaches can find good replacements for Ciante and SJB next year, this defense could be scary.

the only thing that is scary? is next year