These guys get it

da skers

I've met the man. Had a few one-on-one conversations with him. He's not warm and cuddly, and doesn't go out of his way to be your buddy.

Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but he doesn't know me from Adam (much), but he should have zero reason to interact with me the way he does. But... he does.

I've found that most people reciprocate whats projected at them. Not saying this was your case but I'd be interested to know what the context of the meeting, conversation etc was.

You know the first time I met him I thought he was a touch stand offish. That's also the same way a lot of people from Ohio come across. The second time I talked to him I came out of the men's restroom to find him chatting with my daughter while a group of people waited to rush him to a press conference. I asked if she had said something to him to make him stop. No. He had walked by about 5 steps and then came back to check on her. No one else in the 6 people with him had thought that she might be lost but he wanted to know if she needed something. That says a lot about him. More than any public display.

• Fire 3

First meeting we chit-chatted about the weather, coffee and we flipped some sh#t at a mutual friend. Made some jokes at the friend's expense, told Bo to "watch that guy" when they talked about going golfing.

Second meeting was a discussion about Football 101, the reason it was cancelled, and the likelihood that it would come back. Told him why I was so interested in its return, and how much I hoped the issue got resolved soon.

Here's my post about the Football 101 chat we had:

I spoke to Bo about Football 101 today. I was behind him in line at the coffee shop and chit-chatted briefly about a couple of players, then remembered Football 101, so I asked him directly why it wasn't being held this year.

Bo told me (in his brief, not-terribly-full-of-information Bo way) about an issue with Football 101 that has to get ironed out. It is beyond his control and beyond the control of the Bo Pelini Foundation, and it has NOTHING to do with Bill Callahan. The Callahan rumors can be laid to rest. Again, NOTHING to do with Coach Callahan. It also has nothing to do with the coaching staff or the team in general. It's an outside issue entirely. That's all I'm going to tell you about why it's not being held this year, so don't ask for more details. Probably it'll be explained in the future, but until that situation gets ironed out, I'm not going to be the one to start any rumors.

I asked if it would be held again next year or in years to come, and Bo said they had to figure out how it would work with the upcoming construction, so that has to be taken into account as well. It seems at this time as if it's on hold indefinitely.

Everyone here is familiar with Bo's style of talk. He's not a long-winded guy, so I'm expanding quite a bit on our very brief conversation here. Even though he didn't directly say so, I got the impression that Coach is still very much committed to this kind of fundraiser, and in fighting breast cancer.

It seemed to me as if, as soon as he's able, he'll run Football 101 again. So that, at least, is good news.

Here's another one about some random encounter with Texas Tech fans.

Had a Bo sighting this morning. Walked into the coffee shop and just about crashed into him. I just said, "Morning, Coach" with a little nod of the head; barely got an acknowledgment, but it was understandable - he was looking at the headlines on the JournalStar, which weren't pretty.

Walked past Bo up to the counter to order my coffee, turned around to see a couple of fans dressed in their Dallas Cowboys gear, wife with the camera, husband asking Bo for a picture. Bo said "sure" or something like that, took the pic, got his coffee and left. He seemed all business, and probably didn't want to stick around answering questions from armchair quarterbacks.

After he left I went and talked to the Dallas Cowboys couple. Unsurprisingly, they're Texas Tech fans, in town for the game. They had been up all night and just changed out of their Tech gear, and were getting their coffee. We chatted about Bo, about our offense, and they were really great. They were big fans of Bo, and think we're on the right track. The husband said we don't have enough playmakers on offense. Couldn't argue that.

Does that better answer the 'not warm and cuddly' description? Those are unfiltered by recent events, so presume no bias in writing. And bear in mind that as recently as last week I was "accused" of being a "Bo-liever." It's not like I'm out to assassinate his character or anything.

Here's my post about the Football 101 chat we had:

I spoke to Bo about Football 101 today. I was behind him in line at the coffee shop and chit-chatted briefly about a couple of players, then remembered Football 101, so I asked him directly why it wasn't being held this year.

Bo told me (in his brief, not-terribly-full-of-information Bo way) about an issue with Football 101 that has to get ironed out. It is beyond his control and beyond the control of the Bo Pelini Foundation, and it has NOTHING to do with Bill Callahan. The Callahan rumors can be laid to rest. Again, NOTHING to do with Coach Callahan. It also has nothing to do with the coaching staff or the team in general. It's an outside issue entirely. That's all I'm going to tell you about why it's not being held this year, so don't ask for more details. Probably it'll be explained in the future, but until that situation gets ironed out, I'm not going to be the one to start any rumors.

I asked if it would be held again next year or in years to come, and Bo said they had to figure out how it would work with the upcoming construction, so that has to be taken into account as well. It seems at this time as if it's on hold indefinitely.

Everyone here is familiar with Bo's style of talk. He's not a long-winded guy, so I'm expanding quite a bit on our very brief conversation here. Even though he didn't directly say so, I got the impression that Coach is still very much committed to this kind of fundraiser, and in fighting breast cancer.

It seemed to me as if, as soon as he's able, he'll run Football 101 again. So that, at least, is good news.

Here's another one about some random encounter with Texas Tech fans.

Had a Bo sighting this morning. Walked into the coffee shop and just about crashed into him. I just said, "Morning, Coach" with a little nod of the head; barely got an acknowledgment, but it was understandable - he was looking at the headlines on the JournalStar, which weren't pretty.

Walked past Bo up to the counter to order my coffee, turned around to see a couple of fans dressed in their Dallas Cowboys gear, wife with the camera, husband asking Bo for a picture. Bo said "sure" or something like that, took the pic, got his coffee and left. He seemed all business, and probably didn't want to stick around answering questions from armchair quarterbacks.

After he left I went and talked to the Dallas Cowboys couple. Unsurprisingly, they're Texas Tech fans, in town for the game. They had been up all night and just changed out of their Tech gear, and were getting their coffee. We chatted about Bo, about our offense, and they were really great. They were big fans of Bo, and think we're on the right track. The husband said we don't have enough playmakers on offense. Couldn't argue that.

Does that better answer the 'not warm and cuddly' description? Those are unfiltered by recent events, so presume no bias in writing. And bear in mind that as recently as last week I was "accused" of being a "Bo-liever." It's not like I'm out to assassinate his character or anything.

Thanks for the context. So its just that he was pretty short with a guy in the coffee shop.

And I loled at the Bo-liever. I would have said that about you a year ago but this year I think you've taken a more critical tone with him. Of course its all in context of the internet so its hard to tell without inflection etc. If I read my posts as of late I'd come across as a Bo apologist which isn't the case. But I will say I've had to probably step to that side here to off set the onslaught of negativity toward the program. By no means do I see things as not being flawed. But I think he's much closer to 12-2 than he is 4-7.

I don't know how else to answer da skers' questions. He's not a warm and cuddly guy. That isn't exactly news.

I think its because there was the insinuation that he was a huge prick to you since you stated that he had no way to interact with you the way he did.

I assume that was just the way it was written now that you've expounded some.

I don't know how else to answer da skers' questions. He's not a warm and cuddly guy. That isn't exactly news.

I think its because there was the insinuation that he was a huge prick to you since you stated that he had no way to interact with you the way he did.

No, if that's the impression I was giving, that's because I'm not communicating well. He wasn't a jerk, just not, "Hey, come talk to me random guy I don't know!!!"

He was typical Bo that we see on the TV all the time. He's never going to win Miss Congeniality, and I don't expect him to. Just a little less uncongenial.

IMO, Bo is a lot like a new pastor at church. For those who have experienced a new pastor, EVERYONE wants a piece of the guy and his family. Everywhere he goes, in church and in town, it is always about people wanting a piece of him. Folks are human. Sometimes they want their space and too not be bothered in public.

We pay them and think we should have "more" access to them and this often paints a perceived (right or wrong) about how they should respond to us.

I have met some folks that were very gracious and approachable. Some not so much. Disappointing to say the least.

Perhaps Bo is a surly type guy who is genuinely not an openly friendly guy. Do I wish he was? Absolutely. Do I think he should REALLY try to engage the fans? Absolutely.

Life for a coach, actor, insert profession here, is always better for those involved if the attraction of our attention reciprocates the "love" for lack of a better word.

The team gets it, I get it (how much they like Bo), BUT I wish that he would get it. More access to the team. Publish stuff like Husker Power used to. Be more open with the press about injuries. Be more tactful when the press "pi$$es" you off etc..... These things would go a long way in helping smooth things over.

Saw him at a Subway once, they had run out of meatballs and he wanted a meatball sub. He didn't get pissed or anything, seems like a stand up guy to me. :dunno

Had me on the edge of my seat with that story, ADS

It actually happened, I know...

cool story bro.