These guys get it

da skers

I've met the man. Had a few one-on-one conversations with him. He's not warm and cuddly, and doesn't go out of his way to be your buddy.

Obviously I'm not in the inner circle, but he doesn't know me from Adam (much), but he should have zero reason to interact with me the way he does. But... he does.

• Fire 3

I think I speak for a lot of Husker fans when I say that we, the fans in the stands, would really like to know that Bo, the Bo these guys will run through legions of Satan's demons for. Maybe the perception would be different if he even remotely tried to embrace the fans like he embraces the kids.

We're a huge part of this equation. It's not just the players on the field and the coaches in their offices. "Us" includes the blokes in the bleachers. We are not "them," but many of us feel like Bo believes we are.

It's not that we can't understand. Bo won't let us understand him. He keeps us at arm's length.

It's a two-way street.

I agree with you that I wish the relationship was better. It would also be nice if the fans actually tried to see for themselves. But every time he sits there and starts to do that people take shots at him. Look at his pressers (minus this post game) and you'll see a lot more of him if you want. Hell one week he sat there for darn near an hour being very open and honest. How else is he supposed to let us know him? Fans can't be in the meetings every day and around him. When he does reach out and say good things about the fans people from the message boards and the OWH say he's full of crap and just saying stuff like that to sway the public or save his job. Hell there was a good portion who still think the Jack TD was set up for a PR for Bo. He also does things not because its a good PR move. People don't know he made calls or stopped by to see a sick and dying fan nearly each week last year (it could have been 2 years at this point) because that was a pick me up for that guy. He called our QB recruit after he was forced to stop playing ball this year and honored the scholarship even if he never plays. He's continued to communicate nearly every week to talk about how its important to be a good teammate even when you're hurt and can't play, etc. Those type of things should tell most everything anyone should need to know about the guy. Plus his team, his player, etc all come out daily and profess how great he is. But apparently that's not good enough for the fans mostly because the Omaha media (all forms) say its not. I would wage a large sum that if the OWH covered him favorably not of the rough and gruff would really matter to most fans. I live in Central Nebraska and work a lot in the east end of Nebraska when I'm in the state. The coverage until recently was night and day difference. If you would watch NTV, Scottsbluff, NP etc it was pretty much pro Bo and the exact same presser would be covered in Omaha and it was cut to make him always look angry, pissed or standoffish. The reporters nearly to a T game critical coverage about what was wrong or what he needed to to.

Since its such a huge issue for you...how would you suggest he reach out more to the fans?

If the guy could be a 'man' and publicly come forward and apologize in front of a microphone instead of a written statement that more than likely wasn't even written by him that would go a long way for me. He talks about the refs not "manning up" and picking up the flag. How about he man up and be open, honest and genuine. Like many have said, he was loved when he came here. The toxic relationship with fans didn't come 100% from us. He started the us against the world mentality. I loved the hire in 2007 and loved having him as coach. I hate his ass now. And my expectations of Nebraska football haven't changed at all. But I guess the problem lies with me somehow.

• Fire 1

I think most rational fans would agree with Clink. It's the few outspoken minority that Bo needs to realize aren't going away and he just needs to ignore. We could win the NC by 20 pts and there would still be the "ya but beck went away from the run" crowd or "Alabama played terrible, they didn't want to be there, they took us lightly" crowd. Most know what happened this season and can take it at face value.

The staff needs to move forward and figure out how to hold onto the football(maybe its actually the footballs) If they can figure that out and nothing else the entire off season, we will be two wins better easily. MSU is 10th ranked and it took everyone of the 5 turnovers to beat us. 4 turnovers and we win that game, even with our backup offense. This team is right there, so close to being scary good. We really have some talent on this team.

Completely agree with all of this. Especially the last paragraph.

If Bo makes it a priority to stop turning the ball over , and to force more turnovers, this team can be really good. IMO opinion, Bo needs to seek outside help for this. Look how long he held on to the stupid passive defensive scheme that allowed teams to run at will on us.

I think I speak for a lot of Husker fans when I say that we, the fans in the stands, would really like to know that Bo, the Bo these guys will run through legions of Satan's demons for. Maybe the perception would be different if he even remotely tried to embrace the fans like he embraces the kids.

We're a huge part of this equation. It's not just the players on the field and the coaches in their offices. "Us" includes the blokes in the bleachers. We are not "them," but many of us feel like Bo believes we are.

It's not that we can't understand. Bo won't let us understand him. He keeps us at arm's length.

It's a two-way street.

What exactly do you want him to do to embrace the fans? I'm probably not as tuned in to things in Lincoln since I haven't lived there in forever, and I haven't been able to get back for a game in a couple of years (which is hard on me since I used to try to get back for a couple each year at least). I try to stay connected, though, and I read the sports sections of both papers' websites daily, I listen to local radio from Omaha and Lincoln regularly, and I read this forum (and others) every day. That said, maybe I'm missing something, but I've just never felt - even with the audio leaked - that he was hostile to the fans at large in the way that I often see him portrayed. In this regard, he doesn't seem to me to be any different than what I see at other programs.

To be clear, I've been pretty critical of Bo and his staff for the last couple of years, but this just isn't one of the criticisms I have. I've been ambivalent about the coaching situation lately, and see a lot of fair arguments from both sides. A decision has been made to stick with him, though, so all of the arguments for or against him being replaced are irrelevant to me at this point. I'm not asking this as an opportunity for another round of piling on the staff; there are enough of those threads already.

I'm just genuinely curious and would like to know what are your (or anyone else that wants to chime in) expectations of the coaching staff when it comes to "embracing the fans" satisfactorily?

Edit: I had to step away for a meeting while writing this, and "da skers" asked a similar question that I didn't see until after I finished this message. Is your criticism actually that he's not warm and fuzzy enough with you when you approach him at the coffee shop?

• Fire 1

If Bo makes it a priority to stop turning the ball over , and to force more turnovers, this team can be really good. IMO opinion, Bo needs to seek outside help for this. Look how long he held on to the stupid passive defensive scheme that allowed teams to run at will on us.

I agree that it is a priority to stop turning the ball over, and I think it would be a great idea to get outside help.

I don't think he changed his scheme that much, or not as much as some think he did (because that was "their idea"). We just have guys that are starting to "get it," and guys that are good enough players to make the play. There isn't much difference in scheme when Cameron Meredith and Randy Gregory are playing "patty-cake," as many like to call it, but Randy is able to get to the edge and make the play. There isn't much difference in defending the Jet Sweep but Leroy Alexander can make the tackle, while Stafford couldn't. At some point, kids have to make plays.

Guys, I understand and respect everyones opinions. However, do you think once, even once, the players yell profanities at Bo? Do they get on message boards and call for his head? No, they believe in him no matter what, and try their butts off for him, even when things don't go well! Therefore, he has a loyalty to them like no other, and truthfuly if fans gave him that support and quit questioning him, accept him for who he is, believe in him, he would be just as loyal to fans! Maybe the only reason I understand it is I have a personality like Bo. I will go to the ends of the earth for the kids I coach and couldn't really care less for anyone that doubts me or my program. However, luckily, I don't have near the stress or the pressures he has, because I know I would react the same. All I'm saying is Bo is a genuine guy and rest assured he has the kids' best interest at heart. If he didn't, they wouldn't play for him. There is something special in the making, good programs take time to build, and when it happens, if it happens, things will be different, and people will have a different outlook on him. I understand as a fan, we want to know everything and we feel like the coaches owe us something. However, some things we don't need to know and we need to respect the process and not hinder it! Again, not putting anyone down or anything like that, just trying to interject a little coaches perspective, and no, I'm not Mary Pat or whoever like someone asked. And to add another thing, it is totally NORMAL for some kids to like the coach and some not! It is impossible for everyone to like a coach simply due to personality differences! I really stress to not always take things at face value as far as how he interacts with you or someone else at any given time. We cannot compare him to any other coach because everyone is different, just like everyone has different opions on this board.

What exactly do you want him to do to embrace the fans? I'm probably not as tuned in to things in Lincoln since I haven't lived there in forever, and I haven't been able to get back for a game in a couple of years (which is hard on me since I used to try to get back for a couple each year at least). I try to stay connected, though, and I read the sports sections of both papers' websites daily, I listen to local radio from Omaha and Lincoln regularly, and I read this forum (and others) every day. That said, I've never felt - even with the audio leaked - that he was hostile to the fans at large in the way that I often see him portrayed. In this regard, he doesn't seem to me to be any different than what I see at other programs.

To be clear, I've been pretty critical of Bo and his staff for the last couple of years, but this just isn't one of the criticisms I have. I've been ambivalent about the coaching situation lately, and see a lot of fair arguments from both sides. A decision has been made to stick with him, though, so all of the arguments for or against him being replaced are irrelevant to me at this point. I'm not asking this as an opportunity for another round of piling on the staff; there are enough of those threads already.

I'm just genuinely curious and would like to know what are your (or anyone else that wants to chime in) expectations of the coaching staff when it comes to "embracing the fans" satisfactorily?

So, the thing about this is that there isn't a dichotomy in the options. It's not either "embrace" the fans or "hate" the fans. There are shades of grey.

What we see with Bo is a mindset that he is putting up with things he doesn't want to do but must for his job. He's the equivalent of the office employee that does the bare minimum to keep his job (probably spending the rest of the time on Huskerboard). He does the fan day, he does the press conferences, he does the tv and radio shows because he has to. No single person can read his two public apologies this season and come away thinking they are heartfelt and genuine, because they are not.

But that's not all you see. You also see him dismiss the fans with a wave when they started booing during Ohio State. They shouldn't boo, but how many times has he contrasted that by applauding us for screaming our voices hoarse? You also see tapegate, and as despicable as the release of that was, and as understandable as his frustration was, you don't vent about things you don't actually feel or think. Throwing the media into this too, because they are the middle link, you also see him close down practices, chastise journalists and generally make their job as difficult as possible with his terse answers, withholding of information (Taylor Martinez' turf toe?) and holding a double standard of accountability.

That's only the explicit stuff. It's hard to quantify or describe the implicit stuff - the bunker that he keeps his team in that puts them at odds with us (see Tim Beck's comments about the players and the fanbase, and Kenny Bell's incessant responding to negative comments on twitter).

What you don't see Bo Pelini do is take initiative towards the fanbase. I'm not talking about stuff like visiting sick kids or anything like that. I think that falls into a different category. Again, Tim Miles is a good contrast. You don't see Bo using twitter as a positive for his program. You don't see him coming up with an idea that he isn't forced to do of how to give back to the fanbase. You don't see him generally making a point of thanking us or applauding us for filling up the stadium 91,000 strong every week and screaming our heads off. You don't see him having an air of generally enjoying us or being here - I see no joy in his public image.

In fact, the most endearing things, in my eyes, that he has ever done didn't even have anything to do with us - the Harlem Shake video and the cell phone prank. They are evidence that this joyful, enjoyable guy does exist. So why don't we see him? Why don't we get to experience him? That's what we want - we want to enjoy our coach and have our coach enjoy us. Only good things can come from a healthy relationship like that. But he refuses to show us he's human. Maybe that's because he thinks that opens him up to attack, but it couldn't really get any worse than it is right now could it?

• Fire 1

However, do you think once, even once, the players yell profanities at Bo? Do they get on message boards and call for his head? No, they believe in him no matter what, and try their butts off for him, even when things don't go well! Therefore, he has a loyalty to them like no other, and truthfuly if fans gave him that support and quit questioning him, accept him for who he is, believe in him, he would be just as loyal to fans!

See my post above. I agree with you that Bo has the players' loyalty flatout, but he also treats his players differently than he treats us. He also gives them more of himself.

Don't compare the two because they aren't equivalent. If Bo maintained a relationship with joe schmo fan that he does with his team, then that fan would have the same loyalty.

What exactly do you want him to do to embrace the fans? I'm probably not as tuned in to things in Lincoln since I haven't lived there in forever, and I haven't been able to get back for a game in a couple of years (which is hard on me since I used to try to get back for a couple each year at least). I try to stay connected, though, and I read the sports sections of both papers' websites daily, I listen to local radio from Omaha and Lincoln regularly, and I read this forum (and others) every day. That said, I've never felt - even with the audio leaked - that he was hostile to the fans at large in the way that I often see him portrayed. In this regard, he doesn't seem to me to be any different than what I see at other programs.

So, the thing about this is that there isn't a dichotomy in the options. It's not either "embrace" the fans or "hate" the fans. There are shades of grey.

What we see with Bo is a mindset that he is putting up with things he doesn't want to do but must for his job. He's the equivalent of the office employee that does the bare minimum to keep his job (probably spending the rest of the time on Huskerboard). He does the fan day, he does the press conferences, he does the tv and radio shows because he has to. No single person can read his two public apologies this season and come away thinking they are heartfelt and genuine, because they are not.

But that's not all you see. You also see him dismiss the fans with a wave when they started booing during Ohio State. They shouldn't boo, but how many times has he contrasted that by applauding us for screaming our voices hoarse? You also see tapegate, and as despicable as the release of that was, and as understandable as his frustration was, you don't vent about things you don't actually feel or think. Throwing the media into this too, because they are the middle link, you also see him close down practices, chastise journalists and generally make their job as difficult as possible with his terse answers, withholding of information (Taylor Martinez' turf toe?) and holding a double standard of accountability.

That's only the explicit stuff. It's hard to quantify or describe the implicit stuff - the bunker that he keeps his team in that puts them at odds with us (see Tim Beck's comments about the players and the fanbase, and Kenny Bell's incessant responding to negative comments on twitter).

What you don't see Bo Pelini do is take initiative towards the fanbase. I'm not talking about stuff like visiting sick kids or anything like that. I think that falls into a different category. Again, Tim Miles is a good contrast. You don't see Bo using twitter as a positive for his program. You don't see him coming up with an idea that he isn't forced to do of how to give back to the fanbase. You don't see him generally making a point of thanking us or applauding us for filling up the stadium 91,000 strong every week and screaming our heads off. You don't see him having an air of generally enjoying us or being here - I see no joy in his public image.

In fact, the most endearing things, in my eyes, that he has ever done didn't even have anything to do with us - the Harlem Shake video and the cell phone prank. They are evidence that this joyful, enjoyable guy does exist. So why don't we see him? Why don't we get to experience him? That's what we want - we want to enjoy our coach and have our coach enjoy us. Only good things can come from a healthy relationship like that. But he refuses to show us he's human. Maybe that's because he thinks that opens him up to attack, but it couldn't really get any worse than it is right now could it?

Well said, Landlord.

I agree whole-heartedly with Knapplc's statement! I think Bo behaves in a timid fashion, not necessarily to be stand-offish per say by design, (although it must be somewhat part of his natural personality) as much as it is a result of how he copes with the over-all pressure of the job, and maybe even more so that he is probably more "sensitive" than he portrays and takes a lot of things said a little too personally maybe? If he could look within, and try to modify, not change who he is, and find a different way to deal with criticism, deserved or not he would do a lot to improve things both ways!

It's a two-way street.

Here's the way I see this. And many may or may not agree with me, but here goes.

Fans that go to the game and pony up money for single game tickets.

Fans that are season ticket holders that donate money PLUS get the season tickets.

Fans that pay subscription fees to BTN and ESPN watch games online.

No matter what we say or think....college football isn't what it used to be. We need to get out of the box that we're all in. College football is no longer just a game. It IS a business.

It's a business where, in Lincoln, on Saturdays during the season, 90,000+ people are share holders in said business. And those shareholders want to see a good ROI in that business.

If you want to know when the business is suffering - all you need to do is look at the stands. 4th quarter of the game on Friday. Look at the additional seats that were empty. That's $$$ not coming into the school through vendors and sales.

Listen, I'm a trustee at my church here in Omaha. We have people that say, "Well, the church is a church, it's not a business."

That's not how the world sees churches any longer. We pay taxes, we are also 501©3 as well. There's things we need to show the state on the business side.

Why are teams like Baylor and Oregon doing better? Because they embraced the business side and are SELLING their program to kids and parents as such.

The head coach is only part of the solution. We have other problems down in Lincoln right now that need to be solved.