Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.

icedavis

Bo may be the most popular players' coach in the FBS. Or he could be completely average. Until somebody collects anonymous surveys from all 100+ players of Nebraska (and every other school) we won't know. The fact that a handful of players vehemently defend him when his seat gets warm isn't very good evidence, and that type of thing tends to happen at most places in similar circumstances. Of course none of the players are going to go in public and say they dislike Bo.

Truly not understanding the overreaction here. It's a simple concept - Bo expects the fans to show up and cheer 60 minutes a game. The fans should expect the coach that wants that to not be a dick to them.

How is he a dick to the fans exactly? He may not be warm and fuzzy enough for some of you, but that's not being a dick. I'm not talking about an old scrap of audio when he was privately venting about the douches in the stadium that were booing his team at half time and didn't stick around for the come back. We've all had those moments venting about a friend, parent, child, spouse, boss, employee or whatever that we'd be ashamed of if they were recorded and played publicly. I've asked this before and still haven't gotten a meaningful answer. Aside from getting on his knees and kissing your ass at the coffee shop, what exactly do you expect him to do differently?

Just be a better representative of the state. Whether or not you agree, no one likes Bo Pelini outside of Nebraska. No one wants to hire him, the local and national medias are against him. Bo is the only thing that people know about Nebraska right now. He has not done anything to me personally. I just want someone who gives us a positive perception from a national perspective. I do not think Bo is doing that.

That's B.S. Your comment shows that you are speaking from your own opinion and not the perception of those on the outside of Nebraska.

The way he runs the program is a great representation of "Nebraska". The dumb things that many fans complain about from Bo, I've seen much much worse from many Nebraskans in day to day life. My job takes me back and forth from Nebraska and Texas throughout the year and I have conversed with many fans of other programs and I honestly have yet to hold a conversation with more negative thing said about Pelini by any of them than I've hear from the some so-called Husker fans on message boards. Bo is no saint. That's never an argument, but he is a passionate man, who is passionate about his players, and want them to succeed on and off the field as much as their own parents would like them to. He is willing to step in the way of ridicule to defend each and every single one of them both right and wrong as well as get in their face about issues. I have yet to speak to someone whom has actually had a personal encounter with Pelini speak of him in any negative light. It's always the ignorance of those who simply feed off of the media's perception who try to be verbal about him not representing the Nebraska way. The day some sanction comes down on his program or the players openly begin to present themselves as less than respectful citizens, or the graduation rate on his team drops, etc......then I'll join the group suggesting that he isn't representing the state correctly.

I am not some simpleton that believes everything that the media says. I guess the conversations that we are having are just totally different. Perhaps that is a reflection of our personal opinions in some way. For the people outside the state, they do not know anything about our graduation rates or Bo doing it the "right" way. They see the blowups, the blow outs, and the press conferences. I tend to think that perception does matter and at times there is some truth to it. I applaud Bo for his emphasis on life outside of football and education. Those are honorable things. You just don't see those things on the news because those kind of things are expected out of coaches. There is only a handful of coaches that I would place in the total scumbag category.

The whole other part of it is that Bo's whole process is taking a long time and people, including myself, are getting restless. People got restless when Dr Tom could not beat Oklahoma, but that was his only hurdle. I think we have lots of issues to overcome and after 6 years we might only be half way there.

I haven't seen a blow up from Pelini that you don't see at every other game throughout the Saturday in which are watching college football. Many try to pin this "bad guy" or "out of control" character on Pelini for the way he has responded to things that he don't agree with on the field. His response to many of the things I see him responding to, I can look across the bar or at the next table and see someone(s) responding the exact same way if not worse (one guy got put out DJ's Dugout after the same call that warranted Pelini a flag Friday). Pelini is a football coach, not a beautician. If you ask a passionate person a dumb question about a part of the game that he was less than pleased about while he is still in the element, then you should expect a sarcastic or less than pleasant response. There isn't a coach in college football whom hasn't gave a sarcastic remark to the media after asking a dumb question, including the coaches whom everyone considers elite, today. I remember during the 2011 season, I got tired of what I called the "Bo Cam"......I'll watch a game and hope for a replay or want to see the formation before the snap and I don't get it because the camera was always giving Pelini a close up after every call. If Pelini was half as bad as these babies complain him to be, personally, then you wouldn't see his players standing up and fighting for 4 qtrs for him. You wouldn't hear about the player's parent suggesting they should stop messing with the coach. You wouldn't hear his players saying that he made them a better man while he was in the program. You wouldn't have HS coaches willing to sway and urge their players to consider the Husker program during the recruiting process. The complaining is the biggest example of pure ignorance of the character of Bo. Did we all forget who hired the man. The "almight" Tom Osborne. He hired him over his good friend, ex-assistant, ex-All Everything QB Turner Gill whom no one is questioning his character. Pelini must be somewhat of a great guy to his players, his staff, the recruits, their parents, and even the fans whom he encounters with. Is their a fan whom has came out and said he or she met Pelini and he rubbed them the wrong way.........

As far as Pelini's process, I agree, it is taking much longer than we would like but I would like to point out that OU was not Osborne's only hurdle, which took 8-10 years to overcome. He was continuously ridiculed for not winning a NT. Did we forget that his teams were on a 7 post game losing streak before giving him is first national title. That was 23 years as an HC at a program that had facilities that only 10% of programs during that time could even be compared to. Today we are calling for the job of a first time HC whom has manage to do what only 4 other HCs have been able to do, which is the 9+ wins for 5 (maybe 6 seasons). He was .01 from a conference title arriving at the first BCS bowl in almost a decade, after his 2nd year as a head coach. That shows me what he can do when he has the proper talent to run his system. Not if only he can get the right coaches to assist him (my personal opinion).

Funny, the majority of people I talk with out of state, who have no real interest in Nebraska football, don't have much issue with Pelini's behavior beyond saying, "He probably shouldn't have done some of that." A shrug usually follows. Very few I've spoken with think he's anything close to a raving lunatic.

THIS. But some so called fans have their agenda and want people to believe that he is considered a loose canon and no body respects him.

Funny, the majority of people I talk with out of state, who have no real interest in Nebraska football, don't have much issue with Pelini's behavior beyond saying, "He probably shouldn't have done some of that." A shrug usually follows. Very few I've spoken with think he's anything close to a raving lunatic.

THIS. But some so called fans have their agenda and want people to believe that he is considered a loose canon and no body respects him.

I think he's a raving lunatic who loses his cool when things don't go his way. Interestingly enough, it seems our team tends to lose it's collective cool when things don't go their way. Coincidence??

If that makes me a "so called fan" in your eyes.... oh well.

• Fire 1

I think he's a raving lunatic who loses his cool when things don't go his way. Interestingly enough, it seems our team tends to lose it's collective cool when things don't go their way. Coincidence??

Not excusing Pelini's behavior but were things going our way against Ohio St. in 2011? Or Northwestern, Michigan State or Penn State last year? Or Northwestern, Michigan or Penn State this year?

So you're saying he's more like an elite coach? Thinking Urban Meyer, Saban and Bill Belichick with that. Those coaches are notorious micro-managers who get extremely upset if they don't get what they want. Has Bo won at their levels yet? Nope, but both Meyer and Saban did not necessarily have the same challenges facing them walking in. The players do tend to lose their cool from time to time but fortunately, they typically remain relatively quiet and instead let the coaches go off on the refs. Reminds me of high school where my coaches told us to not say anything to the refs and let the coaches take the heat.

Sure the cameras catch Bo with some of the antics but I'd rather have the coach in the ref's doghouse than a player or worse, have our players look like the goons from Ohio State last weekend. It can be a tough trade off but I'd rather have stand up players with an emotional coach than a bunch of thugs with a laidback coach. In college football, very rarely do you find the best of both worlds and when you do, your team will likely not achieve success for a long period of time.

Not excusing Pelini's behavior but were things going our way against Ohio St. in 2011? Or Northwestern, Michigan State or Penn State last year? Or Northwestern, Michigan or Penn State this year?

Oklahoma 2008, Missouri 2008, Texas Tech 2009, Iowa State 2009, Texas 2010, Oklahoma 2010, Wisconsin 2011, Michigan 2011, Northwestern 2011, South Carolina 2011, UCLA 2012, Ohio State 2012, Wisconsin II 2012, UCLA 2013, Minnesota 2013, Iowa 2013. Also, I could also use the hail mary to beat NW in 2013 as an example of a team meltdown.

I agree that the team does show mental toughness at times, however, a t others they completely fall apart. Additionally, just because we came back some of those times for a win, does not mean there wasn't a team meltdown in the first place. Sometimes they regain their composure and rally to win. Other times they don't and it ends 70-31.

Oklahoma 2008, Missouri 2008, Texas Tech 2009, Iowa State 2009, Texas 2010, Oklahoma 2010, Wisconsin 2011, Michigan 2011, Northwestern 2011, South Carolina 2011, UCLA 2012, Ohio State 2012, Wisconsin II 2012, UCLA 2013, Minnesota 2013, Iowa 2013. Also, I could also use the hail mary to beat NW in 2013 as an example of a team meltdown.

I agree that the team does show mental toughness at times, however, a t others they completely fall apart. Additionally, just because we came back some of those times for a win, does not mean there wasn't a team meltdown in the first place. Sometimes they regain their composure and rally to win. Other times they don't and it ends 70-31.

But your implication was it's Bo's fault because that's how he is. If he's like that all the time and the team isn't, the correlation is just another talking point for those that don't like him.

If you think he's a raving lunatic then you obviously have never seen a raving lunatic. Sheltered life must have been nice growing up.

:lol: Sorry, I just dismissed this whole post when I saw you suggest the NW hail mary as a team meltdown. I guess the pass catch to Ameer Abdullah in which he fought for extra yards on a 4th and long to keep the drive going to even set up a hail mary, was an example of the team throwing a fit and losing control......Wow........carry on