Bo Pelini, from a player’s parents eyes.

icedavis

What I don't get is why when the "small vocal minority" of fans/media dorks do the things that piss off the coach and team till it reaches the point he calls them out on it, the "vast majority of loyal fans" jump up to be offended. Are you wannabe victims needing to be oppressed? If you heard someone yell "Down in front" while you were sitting, would you jump up and cuss them out for yelling at you?

• Fire 1
I don't think anyone has ever doubted that the players and their families are enamored with Bo. The point has always been that those folks are only part of the equation, and the fans are another part. If Bo can be warm and cuddly to these folks, there's no reason he can't show at least a modicum of that side of his personality to the fans. Not only does he choose not to, but the impression most get is that he views us as part of "them," the enemy.

Bo is out working hard to recruit these players and their families, and that's great. He needs to spend some time recruiting the fans, too. Without us he isn't earning that $3 million a year.

I don't feel Coach Bo needs to recruit the fans. I am not asking for any favors. He can think I am an a-hole for all I care.

If he is suppose to help these kids become men, how about as a coach he teach them tough, disciplined football? How about a mindset of holding on to the ball and teaching the value of takeaways and giveaways? How about a "next man up" and "no excuses" mindset?

I don't care about the wins and losses at this point. I don't care about Bo's attitude on the field. The product on the field that gives away games to teams with lessor talent and leads to blowouts against good teams never get corrected.

Kudos to his recruiting and how the kids fight at times but damn ... when does the self inflicted wound crap get better and "cleaned up"? He seems to be "best buds" with the players. When does he become coach and stop all enabling crap on the field?

Looks like he will get a few more years to "clean it up".

• Fire 2

I know there are a lot of threads about this topic, and I haven't read them all, so this comment may be useless:

But I don't think Bo needs to actively recruit the fans, he just needs to stop making a spectacle of being an ass and the negative nellis among us (including myself) will come back around. We thought he had done that prior to audiogate this year, and then of course his asshettery at and after the Iowa game. Bo does a lot of good things that get overshadowed by his prickly demeanor, but the kind of unprofessional immature hotheadedness that he has developed a reputation for simply needs to be controlled. That behavior is uncalled for and is terminable in just about any other professional work environment. And he doesn't win enough to overcome that shortcoming.

Osborne didn't kiss the fans asses, either, and he was known to be a pain in the ass to refs on the sideline, but even when he couldn't win the big one yet, people always had a good feeling about him, and even though Osborne always had his critics, he carried himself with more than enough class and dignity to create a lot of goodwill. When you saw Osborne on campus, he would smile and say hello and keep walking. That doesn't take any more time or effort than being an ass.

Bo is not a bad coach, and I'm not personally convinced that Nebraska will ever again be able to find a coach that is consistently going to win double digit games and championships every year. But I'm sure we could find plenty of coaches who could win 8 games per year and not come off as a prick. Long story short, a slight personality adjustment from Bo (that was permanent and sincere) would shield him from a lot of criticism and would "recruit" goodwill from the fans without too much time and energy expended.

Yeah, and Iowa was last Friday.

I don't believe audiogate was some especially rare one off outburst for Bo. It was a window into what he's like, a lot of which we see in him anyway from time to time, and it just happened to have some explosive content in his words. How many people were honestly surprised by the fact that he was throwing f-bombs around, just because it was the first time we heard it on tape?

• Fire 1

Yeah, and Iowa was last Friday.

I don't believe audiogate was some especially rare one off outburst for Bo. It was a window into what he's like, a lot of which we see in him anyway from time to time, and it just happened to have some explosive content in his words. How many people were honestly surprised by the fact that he was throwing f-bombs around, just because it was the first time we heard it on tape?

Oh it's not rare for Bo or the coaching staff to use that kind of language at all. In fact, their favorite expression to refs is to call them a combination of a lollipop and a part of the male anatomy or a rooster. What people have failed to understand about the audio tape is that Bo was talking about the fans who left the game early (when the team wasn't playing well), those who essentially quit on watching the team play. Sure the word choice was raw and unfiltered but he let his frustrations out and instead of doing those things in public, he did so in private... or so he thought. Unless you were one of the fans whom he was talking about or have a really weak stomach for vulgarity, then there really should be no issue with that tape.

• Fire 1

It's just funny when someone says he needs to clean up his behavior, and then cites a tape that is two years old as evidence he hasn't. Especially when his general behavior has improved over the last two years, with some exceptions. I have a feeling that thought process is a little too much to grasp for some people, though.

It's just funny when someone says he needs to clean up his behavior, and then cites a tape that is two years old as evidence he hasn't. Especially when his general behavior has improved over the last two years, with some exceptions. I have a feeling that thought process is a little too much to grasp for some people, though.

maybe they come from out of state

• 2 months later...

My question with this Bo vs Fans ordeal is this...Which came first? Bo being short with fans on his own or him becoming short with fans because they deserve it for the way they lash out at players and coaches?

Kind of seems like it was with the media first, which in turn made the fans lash out towards Bo for not handling things more "appropriately" or doing a better job of representing the university. Don't get me wrong, Bo has dug his own grave with the fans with audiogate and some of the other things he's said, but this whole "Bo Pelini is a big angry meanie" mentality has been perpetuated by the media.

IMO, it was Bo because he had a huge leash and a ton of good will on his side becasuse 1: replacing Billy C 2: having Tom on his side, therefore the state was behind him all the way. Everything was good and he was beloved my almost all until the year after the team was screwed in the Big 12 title game vs Texass. For the first time they had the hype and expetations of a normal Nebraska team. The rebuild was seen as being over as they were just a bogus .01 away from playing in a BCS Bowl, crushed Arizona in the Holliday Bowl and were in the top 15 in the preseason polls, not to mention the favorite to win the final Big 12 title game. Then the team fell apart vs a bad Texass team at home that year, then the aTm debacle followed up by choking the CCG game when he had a 17 point lead. Mainly because he refused to take a gimpy TMart out of the game. IMO that is when he started to lose some of the fanbase, and was starting to be known more for his temper and choking in big games. The typical Nebraska fan isn't going to support that kind of national perception because everyone is held to TO standards of being stoic on the sideline fair or not. But as someone said before, if he were to break through and win a CCG and a BCS Bowl, pretty much all would be forgiven as long as the following season wasn't something like 5-7, which isn't likely.

• Fire 3

Truly not understanding the overreaction here. It's a simple concept - Bo expects the fans to show up and cheer 60 minutes a game. The fans should expect the coach that wants that to not be a dick to them.

How is he a dick to the fans exactly? He may not be warm and fuzzy enough for some of you, but that's not being a dick. I'm not talking about an old scrap of audio when he was privately venting about the douches in the stadium that were booing his team at half time and didn't stick around for the come back. We've all had those moments venting about a friend, parent, child, spouse, boss, employee or whatever that we'd be ashamed of if they were recorded and played publicly. I've asked this before and still haven't gotten a meaningful answer. Aside from getting on his knees and kissing your ass at the coffee shop, what exactly do you expect him to do differently?

Just be a better representative of the state. Whether or not you agree, no one likes Bo Pelini outside of Nebraska. No one wants to hire him, the local and national medias are against him. Bo is the only thing that people know about Nebraska right now. He has not done anything to me personally. I just want someone who gives us a positive perception from a national perspective. I do not think Bo is doing that.

That's B.S. Your comment shows that you are speaking from your own opinion and not the perception of those on the outside of Nebraska.

The way he runs the program is a great representation of "Nebraska". The dumb things that many fans complain about from Bo, I've seen much much worse from many Nebraskans in day to day life. My job takes me back and forth from Nebraska and Texas throughout the year and I have conversed with many fans of other programs and I honestly have yet to hold a conversation with more negative thing said about Pelini by any of them than I've hear from the some so-called Husker fans on message boards. Bo is no saint. That's never an argument, but he is a passionate man, who is passionate about his players, and want them to succeed on and off the field as much as their own parents would like them to. He is willing to step in the way of ridicule to defend each and every single one of them both right and wrong as well as get in their face about issues. I have yet to speak to someone whom has actually had a personal encounter with Pelini speak of him in any negative light. It's always the ignorance of those who simply feed off of the media's perception who try to be verbal about him not representing the Nebraska way. The day some sanction comes down on his program or the players openly begin to present themselves as less than respectful citizens, or the graduation rate on his team drops, etc......then I'll join the group suggesting that he isn't representing the state correctly.

The only fans that I have seen defend Bo are fellow Nebraska fans. As for fans of other schools, I will have to say that you have been very because from being in the Air Force and haven't lived in the state for a long time, the peception that I have always seen, no matter where i have been durng the last 7 years is that Bo is a raging lunatic that is embarrasing the program. To them they think that it is sad that our program has fallen so low that we would keep this guy. And some of these are people that thought he was the perfect hire for us at the time, they see where he is seven years later and don't understand why he is still employed at was seen at one time to be one of if not the most classiest programs in the country. I think the most daming comments that I have heard is that one person said that they know that Saban is an a-hole, but they could at least understand why Alabama is keeping him around, just look at the trophy case. But Nebraska is keeping a bigger a-hole that isn't winning enough to warrent keeping him around. Again this isn't my opinion, this is what I am told by fans of numerous other schools from around the country.

• Fire 1

The only fans that I have seen defend Bo are fellow Nebraska fans. As for fans of other schools, I will have to say that you have been very because from being in the Air Force and haven't lived in the state for a long time, the peception that I have always seen, no matter where i have been durng the last 7 years is that Bo is a raging lunatic that is embarrasing the program. To them they think that it is sad that our program has fallen so low that we would keep this guy. And some of these are people that thought he was the perfect hire for us at the time, they see where he is seven years later and don't understand why he is still employed at was seen at one time to be one of if not the most classiest programs in the country. I think the most daming comments that I have heard is that one person said that they know that Saban is an a-hole, but they could at least understand why Alabama is keeping him around, just look at the trophy case. But Nebraska is keeping a bigger a-hole that isn't winning enough to warrent keeping him around. Again this isn't my opinion, this is what I am told by fans of numerous other schools from around the country.

This is pretty much the gist of my experience down here as well. And now you're really starting to see it in the national media...

“I’m baffled as to how Pelini remains in charge in Lincoln, mostly because I can’t believe how far Nebraska’s standards have fallen. This is a program that once considered national titles and top-10 rankings as its birthrights. Now, the Cornhuskers are just tickled to beat an 8-4 SEC foe in the Gator Bowl.”

He needs to win, and win this season. Unfortunately I see a similar outcome to last season, and SE pretty well painted himself into a corner by not acting at the time.

Why should we care what other fanbases think we should do concerning our coach. Hes running a clean program, graduating players, and winning enough to go to bowl games. Their perception is completely based off of the sideline drama camera.

As for our perceptions they are all in or burning pitchfork. Which is to be expected with the current state we are in. Bo does need to win games this year, Im thinking 11-12 to really show that improvements are being made. If its another 9-10 or god forbid less, it would be hard for the higher ups to feel comfortable he will ever buck the trend.

And for the record Bo is a hell of alot better person than Nick Saban. Dont care what anybody says.