Will Bo Pelini ever win a National Championship at Nebraska (Poll)

Does Bo win a NC as Nebraska's Head Coach?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nebraska would've been undefeated right now with a 100% healthy Martinez. I don't believe you can say anything similar about 90% of the teams out there.

Explain.

Again?

Yes. Tell me why you think we would be undefeated with a 100% Taylor Martinez as our quarterback. Tell me what he has shown you that would lead you to come to that conclusion, while also considering and eliminating other explanations such as our defense, Tim Beck's play calling, Taylor's ability to turn the ball over, etc...

You can't simply say we would be undefeated with a 100% Taylor as if that was the only thing hampering us this year.

X doesn't cause Y. X, W, A, B, C, et cetera cause Y.

i think gbredneck's response here is being overlooked:

As fans, we hope beyond hope every single year that we will win championships. Conference champiosnships en route to national championships en route to reclaiming our glory years. In our heads, most of us can even rationalize week to week through the year how the team will win and get to the top of the mountain.

But wanting something and actually really thinking that it will happen are totally different things. I appreciate the optimism of most of the fans and have had my own share of kool-aid over the years, but if a third of the members of this board legitimately believes that Pelini will win a National Championship at Nebraska, then I'm sorry to say that a third of this board is legitimately bat$h!t crazy and detached from reality.

We would've played for one this year if Martinez was 100%. But your guano argument is compelling.

why did we not play for one last year?

Martinez hasn't been 100% since his RS freshman year.

No

It's been long enough for Bo to have fixed many of the issues at hand. (or at least make progress toward fixes) It this isn't the second year of his tenure.

Just want to see on field progress, but where is it in reality? Same problems, and more new ones, every year. Bo and staff seems to not realize it's a problem until it's too late, and the teams preformance suffers.

There are just too many issues that aren't getting fixed. Under BO I just don't see him being able to make the changes/fixes necessary. Poor recruiting, poor ST, S&C ? Some assistants need replacing. His defense is too set in his way of doing things. And has too many Ohio buddies as assistants that aren't able to get the job done. (because he hired so many buddies, he can't seem to be able to let them be replaced.) There are endless topics, these are only a few.

He makes too much money to produce the results we get year after year, with no apparent improvement. Every coach can have a bad year, but our's don't get better. Under Bo we have become an "also ran" of no consequence. That isn't progress.

Not to mention his endless embarassing chickensh*t bomb shells. They have made NU the laughing stock of anyone folllowing college football.

If he leaves here in the next couple of years, I doubt he'll get hired as a BCS head coach anywhere. Maybe at a small college, but his "bombshells" may keep him from even getting hired even at a smaller school. No school want's that embarrasment. More than likely will have to go back to NFL as a rich assistant.

It's sad that it's come to this point...the fans and media didn't have anything to do with the football problems...except in someone's head, used as crutch for some to make excuses.

Worse part of it all is if he leaves. The players really identify with him. These are young guys. I'm concerned about them the most, no matter what happens. Bo has been a good life coach. Good grades, good citzenship.

Right because everyone knows a national championship caliber team can in no way overcome an injury to their dynamic QB to still run the table, play for, and win the title.

It's never happened. Not once. Especially not in Nebraska.

You really had to go there?

How old are you? Because you obviously didn't watch the 1994 season. Or just chose to forget it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/16/sports/college-football-nebraska-crushes-wildcats-offense.html

Sarcasm sir.

The most embarrassing thing about Pelini's tenure has been the performance of the defense the past three years, including Carl's last year.

Because starting in '11, opposing teams, knowledgeable announcers and former Husker greats began wondering aloud "what is Nebraska thinking?"

Folks who knew football saw Nebraska lining up in defenses that were easy to read and easy to exploit. The opposing offense would then exploit the formation for big yards. At which point Nebraska.....did nothing. Virtually no adjustments. Just let themselves keep getting gashed. It did not seem to be a matter of speed and talent. By the time a Husker defender had the chance to react, he was already five yards away from the play. Some said we looked like a high school defense. That wasn't just Husker bashing. Former Huskers were just as concerned. As the problem persisted from game to game, and then season to season, it went from embarrassing to baffling. I don't think the coaching community really cares if a coach is ahem "passionate" or lets a chickensh#t drop here or there. But I get the feeling they understand why Husker fans are concerned, regardless of those magic 9 wins.

That being said, it felt like the defense engineered a huge mid-season turnaround this year. Just night and day from the South Dakota State game. Really, it felt like the whole team was playing looser and better, and that included the Michigan State loss, in hindsight a legitimate Top Ten team. The talent was there. Even the reserves filling in for the injured. Bo had won me back.

And that's why Iowa stuck in my craw. From the team's on-field performance to Bo reverting to angry clown form. Because something good was there for the taking, the pressure was back on, and the team fell apart in a now familiar way.

Long way of saying "no."

But I'm still looking forward to Season 7.

Prove me wrong, you little chickensh#t.

• Fire 7

At which point Nebraska.....did nothing. Virtually no adjustments. Just let themselves keep getting gashed. It did not seem to be a matter of speed and talent. By the time a Husker defender had the chance to react, he was already five yards away from the play. Some said we looked like a high school defense.

My perspective is the issues we had were directly related to matters of speed and talent. Look at our leading tacklers by season for example......big difference between Lavonte David and Will Compton......speed and talent.

At which point Nebraska.....did nothing. Virtually no adjustments. Just let themselves keep getting gashed. It did not seem to be a matter of speed and talent. By the time a Husker defender had the chance to react, he was already five yards away from the play. Some said we looked like a high school defense.

My perspective is the issues we had were directly related to matters of speed and talent. Look at our leading tacklers by season for example......big difference between Lavonte David and Will Compton......speed and talent.

The same players this season got a lot better when they were allowed more control over their own scheme.

Whatever our perspective, people who know football better than us found Nebraska's seeming refusal to make defensive adjustments odd. If speed and talent are a problem, an incredibly predictible defensive scheme only puts those players in a worse position.

A little late to the party, but my 2¢.

The trend of the program as of this moment is either stagnation or regression. There is no other option. We went from getting blown out in a CCG to not even sniffing a CCG while being straight outplayed/coached by Minnesota, Iowa, UCLA. It took a once-a-decade miracle to beat an awful Northwestern team and overtime to beat a Penn State squad under NCAA sanctions. So far as I can see, no one has even tried to make the case that we're moving forward as a program; only that we might do it at some point, and here the reasons get murky, because while our defense will likely be better than it has been the last couple years, Nebraska finds ways to lose games regardless of how good the defense is and always has under Pelini.

Bottom line--we're closer to a six win season than we are to a national championship. Look at our wins, look at our losses, look at our strength of schedule. It's all right there. Add to that a coach who is probably incapable of making staff changes if it means parting company with friends and you have a pretty good snapshot of our program.

• Fire 4
The most embarrassing thing about Pelini's tenure has been the performance of the defense the past three years, including Carl's last year.

Because starting in '11, opposing teams, knowledgeable announcers and former Husker greats began wondering aloud "what is Nebraska thinking?"

Folks who knew football saw Nebraska lining up in defenses that were easy to read and easy to exploit. The opposing offense would then exploit the formation for big yards. At which point Nebraska.....did nothing. Virtually no adjustments. Just let themselves keep getting gashed. It did not seem to be a matter of speed and talent. By the time a Husker defender had the chance to react, he was already five yards away from the play. Some said we looked like a high school defense. That wasn't just Husker bashing. Former Huskers were just as concerned. As the problem persisted from game to game, and then season to season, it went from embarrassing to baffling. I don't think the coaching community really cares if a coach is ahem "passionate" or lets a chickensh#t drop here or there. But I get the feeling they understand why Husker fans are concerned, regardless of those magic 9 wins.

That being said, it felt like the defense engineered a huge mid-season turnaround this year. Just night and day from the South Dakota State game. Really, it felt like the whole team was playing looser and better, and that included the Michigan State loss, in hindsight a legitimate Top Ten team. The talent was there. Even the reserves filling in for the injured. Bo had won me back.

And that's why Iowa stuck in my craw. From the team's on-field performance to Bo reverting to angry clown form. Because something good was there for the taking, the pressure was back on, and the team fell apart in a now familiar way.

Long way of saying "no."

But I'm still looking forward to Season 7.

Prove me wrong, you little chickensh#t.

A little late to the party, but my 2¢.

The trend of the program as of this moment is either stagnation or regression. There is no other option. We went from getting blown out in a CCG to not even sniffing a CCG while being straight outplayed/coached by Minnesota, Iowa, UCLA. It took a once-a-decade miracle to beat an awful Northwestern team and overtime to beat a Penn State squad under NCAA sanctions. So far as I can see, no one has even tried to make the case that we're moving forward as a program; only that we might do it at some point, and here the reasons get murky, because while our defense will likely be better than it has been the last couple years, Nebraska finds ways to lose games regardless of how good the defense is and always has under Pelini.

Bottom line--we're closer to a six win season than we are to a national championship. Look at our wins, look at our losses, look at our strength of schedule. It's all right there. Add to that a coach who is probably incapable of making staff changes if it means parting company with friends and you have a pretty good snapshot of our program.

Between these two posts you guys said it all for me. Plus 1 to both of you.

I hope for the sake of these young men and this program we figure things out.

Right because everyone knows a national championship caliber team can in no way overcome an injury to their dynamic QB to still run the table, play for, and win the title.

It's never happened. Not once. Especially not in Nebraska.

You really had to go there?

How old are you? Because you obviously didn't watch the 1994 season. Or just chose to forget it.

http://www.nytimes.c...ts-offense.html

Sarcasm sir.

With some posters I know. Some I don't.

i think gbredneck's response here is being overlooked:

As fans, we hope beyond hope every single year that we will win championships. Conference champiosnships en route to national championships en route to reclaiming our glory years. In our heads, most of us can even rationalize week to week through the year how the team will win and get to the top of the mountain.

But wanting something and actually really thinking that it will happen are totally different things. I appreciate the optimism of most of the fans and have had my own share of kool-aid over the years, but if a third of the members of this board legitimately believes that Pelini will win a National Championship at Nebraska, then I'm sorry to say that a third of this board is legitimately bat$h!t crazy and detached from reality.

We would've played for one this year if Martinez was 100%. But your guano argument is compelling.

why did we not play for one last year?

Martinez hasn't been 100% since his RS freshman year.

That it takes 4 years to recuperate from an injury?

Add to that a coach who is probably incapable of making staff changes if it means parting company with friends and you have a pretty good snapshot of our program.

Pelini and Osborne still talk regularly. Staff continuity was very important to Osborne......and while I don't know for certain, it could be an area Osborne has given Pelini some input on.