Will Bo Pelini ever win a National Championship at Nebraska (Poll)

Does Bo win a NC as Nebraska's Head Coach?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As fans, we hope beyond hope every single year that we will win championships. Conference champiosnships en route to national championships en route to reclaiming our glory years. In our heads, most of us can even rationalize week to week through the year how the team will win and get to the top of the mountain.

But wanting something and actually really thinking that it will happen are totally different things. I appreciate the optimism of most of the fans and have had my own share of kool-aid over the years, but if a third of the members of this board legitimately believes that Pelini will win a National Championship at Nebraska, then I'm sorry to say that a third of this board is legitimately bat$h!t crazy and detached from reality.

We would've played for one this year if Martinez was 100%. But your guano argument is compelling.

why did we not play for one last year?

Martinez hasn't been 100% since his RS freshman year.

As fans, we hope beyond hope every single year that we will win championships. Conference champiosnships en route to national championships en route to reclaiming our glory years. In our heads, most of us can even rationalize week to week through the year how the team will win and get to the top of the mountain.

But wanting something and actually really thinking that it will happen are totally different things. I appreciate the optimism of most of the fans and have had my own share of kool-aid over the years, but if a third of the members of this board legitimately believes that Pelini will win a National Championship at Nebraska, then I'm sorry to say that a third of this board is legitimately bat$h!t crazy and detached from reality.

We would've played for one this year if Martinez was 100%. But your guano argument is compelling.

Did we play for one then? Look, I find your Pollyanna-like take on this amusing, but it's pretty crazy. I don't think you could find a single national, regional or local sportswriter who shares your opinion.

Did we play for one then? Look, I find your Pollyanna-like take on this amusing, but it's pretty crazy. I don't think you could find a single national, regional or local sportswriter who shares your opinion.

Whoop tee doo.

If Martinez would've been healthy, we would be one of two undereated teams right now.

Whoop tee doo.

If Martinez would've been healthy, we would be one of two undereated teams right now.

Undereated, whatever that is, is a hell of a lot more likely than undefeated.

You're grossly overestimating the value of a healthy Martinez. You seem to think that if he was 100% healthy, he'd be some combination of Johnny Manziel and Joe Montana.

Jesus, there are some delusional people on both sides of the fence. We had no chance of winning a NC with a 100% healthy Martinez. Sorry.

That's patently false. We had a chance. Vegas even had odds on it.

But it's not hard to believe that a 100% healthy Martinez could have made a huge difference in our four losses.

We easily handled UCLA while they still believed that Martinez was a running threat. Once they figured out he wasn't, it was easy to stop him. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have had enough offensive success in the 2nd half to win the game had Martinez been 100%. I can make the same case in all four losses.

If we were undefeated right now, we would be playing for the NC.

Does Pelini hatred blind people so much that they refuse to see this possibility?

Jesus, there are some delusional people on both sides of the fence. We had no chance of winning a NC with a 100% healthy Martinez. Sorry.

But it's not hard to believe that a 100% healthy Martinez could have made a huge difference in our four losses.

We easily handled UCLA while they still believed that Martinez was a running threat. Once they figured out he wasn't, it was easy to stop him. There's no reason to believe we wouldn't have had enough offensive success in the 2nd half to win the game had Martinez been 100%. I can make the same case in all four losses.

Does Pelini hatred blind people so much that they refuse to see this possibility?

If you've read any of my posts, Im far from a Pelini hater. That's why I said people on both sides of the fence are delusional.

Martinez can't control how the defense plays. The defense played like crap in second half UCLA and Minnesota. You need a full team: Offense, defense and special teams in order to play/win a NC game. Even with a 100% Martinez (lets even say he fixed the turnover problems he had), we still don't have the defense or special teams in order to win.

I really do not believe a team that Bo has been involved with has ever went undefeated. To think a totally young team, with many offensive line injuries would go undefeated is hopeful at best. Some on here actually predicted a undefeated season, but those same guys do every year. The fan in them is stronger than their mental ability, like many of us I guess.

I do not believe the defense would have lived up to an undefeated season. There is not a much bigger fan of Taylor than me, but I seriously doubt your predicted outcome. Possible, but anything is. Who would have ever thought that Auburn would make it to the SEC championship and that they would battle Mizzou for it. I admire your faith in Taylor, I would have given anything to seen the kid have a great season, but just did not work out.

Many are terribly disappointed in this season. I am not, I think the defense was going to be a problem, because of youth and lack of experience. A patched together Oline a Freshman QB most of the year and we were actually lucky to end up where we did. The ball bounced against us a few times this, opposite of last year.

Insanity dot gif

you are right. if everything went perfectly and we won all of our games, we would be playing for an mnc.

ok, even jokingly i can not claim that. we had a weak defense for most of the year.

If you've read any of my posts, Im far from a Pelini hater. That's why I said people on both sides of the fence are delusional.

Martinez can't control how the defense plays. The defense played like crap in second half UCLA and Minnesota. You need a full team: Offense, defense and special teams in order to play/win a NC game. Even with a 100% Martinez (lets even say he fixed the turnover problems he had), we still don't have the defense or special teams in order to win.

If we had any offense in the 2nd half against UCLA, it would've kept the D off the field.

I voted No. Not because of his ability of coach but because of how the landscape in college football has changed. I don't think Nebraska will be winning any more national titles. I hate the SEC as much as the next but their is no sign of them slowing down.

I agree with this. Sure we could catch lightning in a bottle once every 10-15 years and have a shot. I just don't see us a ever being a perennial top 10-15 team again.

Once upon a time we had an advantage over most schools with facilities and our strength and conditioning program. It's not that way anymore. It's an arms race now, and I'm not sure I want NU to even try to keep up.

Maybe things will open up when the SEC forms their own semi-pro league.

:facepalm:

People seem to forget it took Osborne about 20 years before he won his first MNC title

Meaning what exactly?

Meaning NU fans can be a fickle bunch and expect the team to win a MNC every damn year. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, Huskers fans can be a bunch of whiny-ass babies if things don't go the way they want them to go.

That's simple nonsense. It's a strawman you and the rest of the Bolievers have constructed so that you can try to claim that no matter what he does, Husker fans won't be satisfied. Most Husker fans I know would be happy with steady progress, no blowouts, contending for conference championships every couple of years and for national titles every 5 or so. And those are not unrealistic expectations for a school like Nebraska.

Contrary to what you may think, I'm not a "Boliever." I couldn't care f'ing less if he was fired, left on his own, remained the HC, was thrown in jail or had a sex change and changed his name to Fumbalini Pelini. I really don't. He's not been stellar, but we certainly could have worse (and we did).