Mack Brown to Nebraska

Not sure why everyone is hating on this so much.

Recruiting would not be any worse than it is under Bo and probably much better.

And I suspect that Brown would bring in big-name, autonomous coordinators that would do most of the Xs and Os. Brown would be the hands-off, CEO, "spokesman" coach that all of us wish Pelini would be, but that he cannot.

It's actually not a terrible idea.

He can't even win at Texas. The easiest school to win at in the nation.

He won a national championship. Sure Texas is a hotbed and has good talent in high schools but in north texas OU does have a very big imprint. When Florida high schools play Texas high schools, Florida wins a majority of those like 80-90% of the time. Texas high schools do have talent and Texas usually gets their pick but that alone does not guarantee success.

So did Gene Chizik. Should we hire him to coach at Nebraska?

Mack has sustained success instead of just a one year wonder.

And I suspect that Brown would bring in big-name, autonomous coordinators that would do most of the Xs and Os. Brown would be the hands-off, CEO, "spokesman" coach that all of us wish Pelini would be, but that he cannot.

He won a national championship. Sure Texas is a hotbed and has good talent in high schools but in north texas OU does have a very big imprint. When Florida high schools play Texas high schools, Florida wins a majority of those like 80-90% of the time. Texas high schools do have talent and Texas usually gets their pick but that alone does not guarantee success.

So did Gene Chizik. Should we hire him to coach at Nebraska?

Mack has sustained success instead of just a one year wonder.

Have you watched Texas play the last four seasons?

yes. Believe it or not even the mighty programs have losing seasons. I know it's hard to think about but it does happen. Recruiting is not a science it's still a gamble cause you don't know how it will pan out.

Four mediocre years in a row. No way should a Texas coach (if they are a good coach) have four consecutive seasons like that.

He hasn't won jack w/o Vince or Colt.

Hes a fine recruiter because its easy at Texas. When he complains about going to recruit in Florida (I believe he said "killing himself") you know you have it easy. He just can't coach up that talent or hire coordinators that can.

yes. Believe it or not even the mighty programs have losing seasons. I know it's hard to think about but it does happen. Recruiting is not a science it's still a gamble cause you don't know how it will pan out.

Four mediocre years in a row. No way should a Texas coach (if they are a good coach) have four consecutive seasons like that.

Hes a fine recruiter because its easy at Texas. When he complains about going to recruit in Florida (I believe he said "killing himself") you know you have it easy. He just can't coach up that talent or hire coordinators that can.

Vince and Colt types don't come around every 4 years. As for the last 4 years, the other teams in the Big 12 aren't what they use to be either. It's silly to think that Texas would be on the top every season. To be honest if Mack didn't have the connections he had he would have been long gone. Politics plays a huge role in Texas sports. Why do you think A&M got the ok to move to the SEC? Politics. He fired his DC 2 games in the season. Showing he was willing to change to right the ship.

Vince and Colt types don't come around every 4 years. As for the last 4 years, the other teams in the Big 12 aren't what they use to be either. It's silly to think that Texas would be on the top every season. To be honest if Mack didn't have the connections he had he would have been long gone. Politics plays a huge role in Texas sports. Why do you think A&M got the ok to move to the SEC? Politics. He fired his DC 2 games in the season. Showing he was willing to change to right the ship.

Yeah, he fired him. But he hired the other guy in the first place. And they still gave up:

30 to ISU

40 to WVU

38 to OSU

30 to BU

And only beat one ranked team (OU) the entire season.

Also, the Big 12 isn't that good. They have OSU and BU and that's it. OU is a mediocre team that was a product of their weak schedule. Both tOSU and MSU would beat OU.

Also, the Big 12 isn't that good.

Isn't that we told ourselves about the Big Ten? look how that turned out.

NebLarry,

I never said I wanted him here. JUst pointing out the logic that most Nebraska fans use for the Pro Bo slant. I want Bo to win every game next year, I want the program to do what each and every one wants it to do. I will not be happy if we have to fire Bo. I just do not feel his is this god send some seem to think.

I am sure if Bo's gets it together, wins the ones we all expect him to, and plays tough against the ones he is supposed to lose to, most of us will be quite happy.

Just get tired of the continual Bo is the greatest we could ever get at Nebraska stuff that has been going on for 6 years. You guys get upset if you hear anti Bo for a second, imagine it on the other foot. I am about Nebraska being good, if Bo can do it great, if not move on. He would never have gotten this amount of time anywhere else in the country I don't think.

Mack is a good man, and it is time for him to move on I think, but not to Nebraska. Would I have loved to have had him when he went to Texas, for sure. Texas has had good ride with him, but they are looking for bigger and better things. With what they offer they should be currently. But god forbid they buy Saben, college football will never be the same with him there. I can not even imagine what he could do with that type of an advantage.

NebLarry,

I never said I wanted him here. JUst pointing out the logic that most Nebraska fans use for the Pro Bo slant. I want Bo to win every game next year, I want the program to do what each and every one wants it to do. I will not be happy if we have to fire Bo. I just do not feel his is this god send some seem to think.

I am sure if Bo's gets it together, wins the ones we all expect him to, and plays tough against the ones he is supposed to lose to, most of us will be quite happy.

Just get tired of the continual Bo is the greatest we could ever get at Nebraska stuff that has been going on for 6 years. You guys get upset if you hear anti Bo for a second, imagine it on the other foot. I am about Nebraska being good, if Bo can do it great, if not move on. He would never have gotten this amount of time anywhere else in the country I don't think.

Mack is a good man, and it is time for him to move on I think, but not to Nebraska. Would I have loved to have had him when he went to Texas, for sure. Texas has had good ride with him, but they are looking for bigger and better things. With what they offer they should be currently. But god forbid they buy Saben, college football will never be the same with him there. I can not even imagine what he could do with that type of an advantage.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Bo Pelini. None

You change the subject because you know Im right.

No my point being just because you think a conference sucks doesn't make it so. The ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 all have 3 ranked teams in the top 25. Only the Pac-12 and SEC have more. So by your logic the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 suck. There is nothing you can do about your conference. The only chance you have is your ooc and that is a gamble unless you are SEC which then you schedule d-2 or worse.

He's won several conference championships, a national championship, and played in a second (in which is star QB was injured, by the way). I'd say that's "winning." And as bad as this season was, he came close to winning the Big XII this year. Not to mention that in his worst season (2010) he still managed to beat what was arguably Pelini's best team.

Also, you'll note that the competition in the Big XII South (and current Big XII) is a teeny, weeny stiffer than the Big Ten.

Who here has compared Pelini to Brown? Nobody except you and skersfan.

But if you want to compare, Brown didn't win a conf. championship until year 8 of his tenure. Guess who the QB was? The same one that went 30-2 in his career. Take away Vince Young and Texas doesn't win a national championship. Ask Gene Chizik what an all-time great QB could do to make a mediocre coach look great.

And just so we are clear here. He is about to be fired from Texas. Fired. Not retire, not step-down. Fired. He will never be a good fit for Nebraska when you get fired from the easiest school in the nation to win.

The comparison was implied when someone who supports Bo scoffs at Mack Brown.

This "easiest place to win at" BS is just that . . . BS. Yes, Texas has a lot of recruits, but UT is competing for those recruits with OU, OSU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, hell even Nebraska. This is not to mention that the Big XII South and Big XII now is much more competitive than the Big XII North or the Big Ten. How do you think the Huskers would have fared in the Big 12 this year? They would have gotten their sh#t pushed in. Based on the divisions in which we've played, our facilities, our fan support, etc., you could make the argument that Nebraska is one of the easiest places to win at. And then there's Bo.

And, of course, there's this:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302890158

You change the subject because you know Im right.

No my point being just because you think a conference sucks doesn't make it so. The ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 all have 3 ranked teams in the top 25. Only the Pac-12 and SEC have more. So by your logic the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 suck. There is nothing you can do about your conference. The only chance you have is your ooc and that is a gamble unless you are SEC which then you schedule d-2 or worse.

Those three conferences aren't the greatest. Did you just see Duke get smashed in the ACC title game? Everyone here thinks the B1G sucks. And if you watch any Big 12 games, you'd see they only have two really good teams.

But in other news.

Geoff Ketchum ‏@gkketch 43m

A source tells OB that one of the most prominent high school coaches in the state was informed in the last hour that Mack is staying.

Good news. Now we can all laugh at how bad Texas will be again next year and beyond.

The comparison was implied when someone who supports Bo scoffs at Mack Brown.

This "easiest place to win at" BS is just that . . . BS. Yes, Texas has a lot of recruits, but UT is competing for those recruits with OU, OSU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, hell even Nebraska. This is not to mention that the Big XII South and Big XII now is much more competitive than the Big XII North or the Big Ten. How do you think the Huskers would have fared in the Big 12 this year? They would have gotten their sh#t pushed in. Based on the divisions in which we've played, our facilities, our fan support, etc., you could make the argument that Nebraska is one of the easiest places to win at. And then there's Bo.

And, of course, there's this:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302890158

If it isn't the easiest place to win at, then why were people pooping their pants when Nick Saban was rumored to coach there? Wasn't it just said that college football would never be the same a couple posts up?

Nebraska would lose to BU and OSU and that's it.

And then you post something from 2010. Wow, great argument. You are the one obsessed with Bo Pelini. Not Bye Bye Big 12. Hell you bring him up in every thread you post in.

Edit: Maybe OU. Maybe.