After some thought.... the way forward

tmfr15

Well.... here we are with the bowl being announced and what not. In a few weeks Husker fans will watch as the season concludes and a few weeks after that, even if we would like to say we don't care about the bowl rematch with Georgia.... we will start missing the Huskers post haste. And the month of September will seem even farther away that it really is... and it's a long time without trying to plant the suggestion that its longer than the calendar might indicate.

No doubt, it's been rough being a Nebraska fan this year. We had some expectations. And they weren't met. I was one who guarded against expectation by saying that I thought maybe 8-4 and 7-5 would be realistic, but I had the same kool aid drinking, pin the in sky thinking, 11-1 10-2 or 12-0 expectation that I think a lot of us had.

Injuries. Then Bo had his moments. So did the university quite frankly in terms of how they handled the situation... not backing the coach earlier, etc.

And then there were the fans... reactionary ones. And I have to step up to the plate and say I was one of those guys. Sure, I didn't tweet to members of the current team with all kinds of negatives. I certainly didn't try to get in touch with recruits and tell them anything... that's crazy. But I did come on here with a healthy amount of critical comments about how things were going and how I disliked Bo's reactions, sideline behavior, media confrontation... blah, blah, blah.

Post Iowa, I was thinking maybe I didn't even care about the football team anymore and entertained the thought of renouncing Husker fan stats. See, reactionary, and lame. That was me at the time. I can say that now.

And I wanted to take a little bit of time before making this post, to make sure it to would not be a reaction in the opposite direction and therefor just as lame.

In looking back at Bo's non-football-strategy related behaviors... I got to say that being overly critical of them now seems pretty freaking lame. After all, he is a grown man, makes his own decisions and has to deal with the fan reaction which at most should be... man, we really didn't need that penalty and leave it at that.

In terms of football strategy... recruiting... position coach and all that jazz. I guess there is fodder there for plenty of critical comments, but in the end you have to wonder.... are we saying this just because of Ws and Ls? Would two wins make us believe this thing is headed in the right direction? If so, we were close and, to be honest, we didn't suffer a true blow out this year in spite of our lack of health on the offensive side. Maybe this was a step forward. Maybe this was Bo's early 1990s moment. We don't know. Time will tell.

In the final analysis.... recruiting these past few years hasn't been great, but it's not that bad. The results on the field aren't that great, but they aren't that bad. Bo's behavior isn't always great, but it's not completely off par with what other coaches do on the sidelines.

We can all rally around the Huskers now whether you believe Bo is the right choice or not.

Let's face it, if those among us are right about Bo not being the guy to lead us forward, well, eventually he won't be that guy. And if we are right about Bo doing a good job, we'll all end up enjoying the success, with some of us happily eating a bit of crow, giving the coach credit and moving on.

Nebraska plays Georgia next. In an 11 a.m. bowl game on New Years Day.

It's not ideal. But it's not horrible either.

I am over my 2013 hangover and my Iowa hangover.

Just ready to watch the Huskers beat the Dawgs and head to the offseason with momentum.

When kick off comes, I think most of Husker Nation will right there with me. Ready to turn the page.

GBR!

• Fire 4

I think you bring up some great points. All the apathy comments drive me nuts because it's all a matter of choice. Win or lose I choose to be excited and supportive because football season is too short. Does that mean I'm satisfied? Heck no, but I'm still going to have the game on TV Jan. 1st and hate the 8 month offseason afterward.

• Fire 1

I think you bring up some great points. All the apathy comments drive me nuts because it's all a matter of choice. Win or lose I choose to be excited and supportive because football season is too short. Does that mean I'm satisfied? Heck no, but I'm still going to have the game on TV Jan. 1st and hate the 8 month offseason afterward.

At least the time between this offseason and next season will be filled with entertaining events unlike last season. Winter Olympics and the World Cup. It'll be next season before I know it.

Long winded for sure.

Here is the short version.

Not mad at Bo as much anymore. The coaching situation will work itself out.

Hopeful for the future. Doom and gloom is senseless.

GBR in the bowl game. Let's beat those DIRTY DAWGS

Thank you. Saved me a lot of time.

We are Fans, thus we are fanatical about our expectations of our team. Nothing wrong with that, but we all need to tone it down a notch, myself included. I was one that was calling for BO's job in the heat of passion and I regret it now. I am still not sure he will take us where we need to be, but the powers that be believe he will. I will support my team and my coach. GO BIG RED!!!

I'm just ready to compete and finish games. At this point, I don't care who is at the helm. Start finishing games likes the UCLA game. Pull the QB (Minnesota) and make adjustments, maybe outcome is different. Don't be so stubborn that you are opposed to anyone outside of the program who disagrees. That's all.

This has been frustrating enough. We get all hyped up during game day, then we get pulled back to reality. It's time, the frustration has been going on long enough. Just get it done.

It would be nice if there was a 72 hour shutdown of HB after a Husker loss. There would be much more substantive posts as well as far less venting posts. NOBODY on here is happy with how the season went. NOBODY. Bo's disappointment is probably far greater than all of ours combined. Hopefully Bo can break the bowl losing streak we have going. Remember how long TO's streak was? Remember the blow out losses? We didn't even look like we belonged on the same field in some of those matchups in the late 80's and early 90's.

• Fire 1

It would be nice if there was a 72 hour shutdown of HB after a Husker loss. There would be much more substantive posts as well as far less venting posts. NOBODY on here is happy with how the season went. NOBODY. Bo's disappointment is probably far greater than all of ours combined. Hopefully Bo can break the bowl losing streak we have going. Remember how long TO's streak was? Remember the blow out losses? We didn't even look like we belonged on the same field in some of those matchups in the late 80's and early 90's.

I like the notion of having the board shut down for 72 hours after a loss. The opening page could read... We lost. And we all know that it sucked. Move on to something else and come back later when all of our brains are working. LOL

• Fire 1