My journey to drop the weight

Props to Stumpy as that diet advice is excellent and what I have been following for about a year now. I give myself a day or two during the week to eat that bad stuff (normally Saturdays...makes football season MUCH more pleasurable) so I won't go insane.

We're addicted to a lot of this stuff and every time I binge eat bread, I love it, but pretty soon you get used to it. There is A LOT that you can do with meat, fish, and vegetables.

Knapp and others, if you're not on any kind of diet now, expect to lose a good amount of weight in a VERY short period of time on this.

I do this every Saturday as well and it is glorious. My glycogen levels get so low by Friday that I don't even feel like lifting but come Saturday mid-morning, I have to change my shirt cause I am sweating so bad from eating dirty carbs and my body is going nuts just burning that stuff up. It literally feels like you have been in the gym lifting weights for 8 hrs straight.

• Fire 1

Props to Stumpy as that diet advice is excellent and what I have been following for about a year now. I give myself a day or two during the week to eat that bad stuff (normally Saturdays...makes football season MUCH more pleasurable) so I won't go insane.

We're addicted to a lot of this stuff and every time I binge eat bread, I love it, but pretty soon you get used to it. There is A LOT that you can do with meat, fish, and vegetables.

Knapp and others, if you're not on any kind of diet now, expect to lose a good amount of weight in a VERY short period of time on this.

I do this every Saturday as well and it is glorious. My glycogen levels get so low by Friday that I don't even feel like lifting but come Saturday mid-morning, I have to change my shirt cause I am sweating so bad from eating dirty carbs and my body is going nuts just burning that stuff up. It literally feels like you have been in the gym lifting weights for 8 hrs straight.

Haha, agreed! I will actually go on a bit of a long run after the weights on Saturday and always think to myself, "I must really be improving my endurance!" because I don't feel nearly as gassed as I normally do....then I realize that I'm no longer quasi-carb depleted!

...then I cry myself to sleep for eating all that crap...

• Fire 1

Seems pretty solid Knap. I'm curious as to why they have you avoiding all the gluten grains unless you have an allergy or something.

For me cutting down on the carbs has meant good results in losing weight. I rarely eat bread or pasta, but I eat a tone of veggies and a couple pieces of fruit everyday. If I do eat pasta regularly I basically plateau on weight loss until I cut back again. One indirect piece of advice I took from Chaddy was to cut back on the milk I drink, there's "hidden" carbs in there. I used to drink at least 3 glasses a day, now I only drink 1 maybe 2. Mainly I just put it on my granola in the morning and that's about it.

This is true...You should cut back on as much dairy as possible when trying to diet as milk is labeled as "heavy" and will affect how your body digests the food you have eaten.

I don't eat cereal any more, but you can replace regular milk with plain almond milk. The kind I buy has literally 1g of carbs per serving (8 servings in half gallon). Taste isn't horrible, although it is a bit pricier than normal milk.

Seems pretty solid Knap. I'm curious as to why they have you avoiding all the gluten grains unless you have an allergy or something.

For me cutting down on the carbs has meant good results in losing weight. I rarely eat bread or pasta, but I eat a tone of veggies and a couple pieces of fruit everyday. If I do eat pasta regularly I basically plateau on weight loss until I cut back again. One indirect piece of advice I took from Chaddy was to cut back on the milk I drink, there's "hidden" carbs in there. I used to drink at least 3 glasses a day, now I only drink 1 maybe 2. Mainly I just put it on my granola in the morning and that's about it.

This is true...You should cut back on as much dairy as possible when trying to diet as milk is labeled as "heavy" and will affect how your body digests the food you have eaten.

I don't eat cereal any more, but you can replace regular milk with plain almond milk. The kind I buy has literally 1g of carbs per serving (8 servings in half gallon). Taste isn't horrible, although it is a bit pricier than normal milk.

Have you ever tried Trumoo Milk? I get the fat free and mix with my post-workout protein powder as it has the carbs I need along with extra protein.

What cooking oil do you guys recommend? I can't settle on one. This would be mostly for stir-fry and sautee. Currently what I'm about to finish is a bottle of expeller-pressed high oleic safflower due to its high smoke point. In the past I've used coconut but there seem to be 'Coconut oil is so good for you' and 'Liars, coconut oil is bad news' in equal measure. I've even seen lard recommended over plant-derived substances but that seems to really go against the grain. I keep bacon grease though, when I make bacon.

I'm looking into rice bran oil or light olive oil (which has a surprisingly high smoke point, I learned). Or I could go back to coconut again, I really like the taste. Plus it smells amazing during cooking.

Have you ever tried Trumoo Milk? I get the fat free and mix with my post-workout protein powder as it has the carbs I need along with extra protein.

I've seen it, but I've never tried it. I try to stay under 60 carbs during the week, even with post-workout meals included :hmmph

What cooking oil do you guys recommend? I can't settle on one. This would be mostly for stir-fry and sautee. Currently what I'm about to finish is a bottle of expeller-pressed high oleic safflower due to its high smoke point. In the past I've used coconut but there seem to be 'Coconut oil is so good for you' and 'Liars, coconut oil is bad news' in equal measure. I've even seen lard recommended over plant-derived substances but that seems to really go against the grain. I keep bacon grease though, when I make bacon.

I'm looking into rice bran oil or light olive oil (which has a surprisingly high smoke point, I learned). Or I could go back to coconut again, I really like the taste. Plus it smells amazing during cooking.

I always go with virgin or extra virgin olive oil. Good fats in that stuff.

• Fire 1

I've seen it, but I've never tried it. I try to stay under 60 carbs during the week, even with post-workout meals included :hmmph

Is that per a meal or for the day? I don't go over 40 per a meal unless my recovery is lacking and then I will kick it up 10 per a meal for a few days.

Never cared for the plain stuff. I liked the sweetened but then it has as much sugar as skim milk but less protein.

And 60 carbs is insane to me. If I stay under 200g I feel like I'm doing good.

• 4 weeks later...

How's your weight loss coming, Minnesota_sker? I weighed in at 208 this AM. Lightest I've tipped the scale in a year or so. Still got a ways to go though. :lol:

edit: 24 hours later I tip the scale at 211. I'm on a damn roller coaster!

........ Which pretty much goes to show you that nature is evil and much of your weight is genetic.

well my dad, my mother, two brothers and two sisters are all skinny as hell ....... except me. 40 to 50 pounds overweight. I suspect my mom's secret milkman affair. (I'm serious).

Also my brothers are thick and full hair ....... except me, almost bald.

• 8 months later...