Someone please explain

I know this is kind of apples to oranges, but....

My daughter was an Irish dancer for many years. Her regular teacher was a very mild mannered lady, always positive. Before every major, and about once every other month we brought in another teacher who would have my daughter in tears, he just yelled and yelled...he was an old school Irish Dance treacher...and wouldn't you know it, he got better results than thenice teacher did every time.

What the hell is the bolded? Is this the funniest thing anyone else has ever read on here? I feel like the guys name was Patches O'Hoolihan.

During the past two or three years, talent in the B10 has definitely been down compared to the previous two decades. But playing through a B10 schedule is still pretty gruesome from a physical standpoint. Aside from some bad losses against the SEC and USC in the Rose, the B10 has at least been competitive in most every bowl game during the past decade, even while dropping a bunch of close contents. I think B10 teams have a certain degree of mental toughness that's unmatched by anyone but SEC teams. Nebraska certainly looked tougher than UGA yesterday. MSU ultimately tore Stanford's heart out. USC outexecuted Wiscy and LSU outlasted Iowa. But both teams came to play.

I think the answer to the OP's question is pretty simple. They simply had nothing to lose. They weren't playing for the coaches job and, IMHO, this allowed them to play loose. I also think that this defense has made some major strides over the year. Frankly, I place as much blame for the Iowa loss on AD SE as I do the team and coaches. He did them no favors with his silence.

I think the answer to the OP's question is pretty simple. They simply had nothing to lose. They weren't playing for the coaches job and, IMHO, this allowed them to play loose. I also think that this defense has made some major strides over the year. Frankly, I place as much blame for the Iowa loss on AD SE as I do the team and coaches. He did them no favors with his silence.

Then place as much blame on the fanbase as well, since it is our constant speculation and conversation that created the environment of unrest and uncertainty.

Then place as much blame on the fanbase as well, since it is our constant speculation and conversation that created the environment of unrest and uncertainty.

Exactly. SE did nothing. It was the media and fans who created the questions and speculation around his job.

1st off, we didnt exactly look like world beaters yesterday. I thought our performance was overall pretty consistent with how the season has gone, but we didnt muff a punt and they did, and it took the longest possible offensive play in the sport to win. So, lets not prop this up as some sort of anomoly.

2nd, this team was as healthy yesterday overall as it's been since the beginning of conference play. Sean Callahan pointed this out the other day. Aside from Martinez and Spencer Long, EVERYONE was 100%. Even Turner, who seemed to be missing for pretty much all of conference play.

:yeah

Yeah,,, lets not enjoy the first bowl win in 4 yrs... It seems to me,, that during the 70's/80's we played in more than just the Orange... As I recall, this isn't the first time playing in the Gator Bowl.... I usually like your post and agree with Accountability.. but what a negative Nancy;;; let's enjoy the win and hope for better things.. instead of just always finding fault.... GBR

Please tell me you're joking. When did I ever imply that we shouldnt enjoy this big win? I was combatting the OP's notion that we played SO MUCH BETTER yesterday than we had all year. If that's not what he was implying, I apologize. If youre joking, I apologize.

Looks to me like you a disappointed that NU didn't blow them out by 3 tds. Muffed punts and long td passes are part of the game. Lord knows we have had are share of muffed punts and if Georgia wouldn't have hit the long ball 3x last we would have won.

I sure thought they played better than against Iowa and MSU. Just my opinion.

No I'm not dissappointed. I'm very pleased with the win. But again, youre missing the context of my comment. We need to move forward with cautious optimism and understand that the overall performance was not that much better that the rest of the season. No, I seriously do not think we played that much better than we did against Michigan St and Iowa. But competitive games are swung on a handful of plays. We turned it over against Iowa and Mich st. We failed a fake punt deep in our town territory against Iowa that led to a TD. Georgia muffed and punt that led to a Husker TD. They threw a pick that gave us half the field for a TD. The 99 yard TD was-I wont say fluke-rather freakish. Without it, do we score on that drive? No, we're punting out of our own endzone and theyre getting the ball at our own 40. They kicked 4 field goals instead of scoring touchdowns. I'm not trying to play the ifs, ands, or buts game, but yet I am. i'm very pleased with the win, but I'm not overly impressed with how we played. I'm not ready to say that that performance was some lights out display that gives us reason to believe we've taken the next step. There's still a lot of work to do. It wasnt lucky cuz WE made some plays when we had to and they didnt, but it wasnt nearly indicative of how this team needs to perform for us to get where we all want to be.