CNN - Many College Athletes can't read or write

Excel

Are our schools really so easy that you don't even have to learn how to read and write? I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. Wonder what they charge other kids to do their homework.

Keep in mind the article states at an '8th grade level' which is enough to function in the world. Its a far cry from illiterate. And more than enough to graduate.

There is very little holding kids back anymore, its deemed too damaging to their self esteem.

Enough to function at a basic level but what jobs do they get above minimum wage?

Are our schools really so easy that you don't even have to learn how to read and write? I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me. Wonder what they charge other kids to do their homework.

Keep in mind the article states at an '8th grade level' which is enough to function in the world. Its a far cry from illiterate. And more than enough to graduate.

There is very little holding kids back anymore, its deemed too damaging to their self esteem.

Enough to function at a basic level but what jobs do they get above minimum wage?

Grade school would be a basic level. Seriously, there isnt that much of an impediment. I have seen many emails/newsletters/other come out of my corporate office that are at best an 8th grade level, and those idiots have degrees,and didnt get them playing major sports.

FWIW, I was talking about the kids that are illiterate and somehow made their way through high school and made it to college.

Most college undergrads are shockingly terrible at reading and writing. What's even funnier is you'll often find foreign students have a better grasp of English, especially written, than American undergrads. It's f'ing pathetic.

This. Even some guys I know who do well in school cannot read or write worth jack. Pretty sad.