Would like your thoughts on the new college football playoff

Don't know how many of you follow cornnation, but its part of my daily reading material.

Today they posed the questions what are our expectations should be.

Someone responded that the winning the division should be the benchmark in the college playoff system.

As I was reading some of the responses, I started thinking of how baseball use to be. You could win the second most games in the whole league, but you didn't win your division and therefore were snubbed for the playoffs.

So my question is this.

Should there be (at some point) a change to the format in the future to where only one team per conference gets into the playoff.

Rankings don't matter, computers don't matter, power rankings don't matter. The only thing that matters is winning your conference. Each conference gets an equal shot. No automatic qualifying.

The only issue I see with this is there are only 10 conferences and the independents. There may be some byes involved, but I think it gives the fairest shot for everyone to have the chance to win.

Don't know how many of you follow cornnation, but its part of my daily reading material.

Today they posed the questions what are our expectations should be.

Someone responded that the winning the division should be the benchmark in the college playoff system.

As I was reading some of the responses, I started thinking of how baseball use to be. You could win the second most games in the whole league, but you didn't win your division and therefore were snubbed for the playoffs.

So my question is this.

Should there be (at some point) a change to the format in the future to where only one team per conference gets into the playoff.

Rankings don't matter, computers don't matter, power rankings don't matter. The only thing that matters is winning your conference. Each conference gets an equal shot. No automatic qualifying.

The only issue I see with this is there are only 10 conferences and the independents. There may be some byes involved, but I think it gives the fairest shot for everyone to have the chance to win.

I think that scenario is long gone.

EDIT: you edited while I was posting, but now I don't really have a post.

No. In your baseball example, the entire schedule is used to determine a division winner. In college football, only conference games are used. A 9-3 team can be a conference champion over a clearly better 11-1 team. Let's not even get to the fact that some conferences have a championship game that can put an 8-5 team as their champion over a 12-1 team, while others don't. Just let the committee pick the four best teams in the nation. Being a conference champion should be a factor, but not a requirement.

Edit: minimizing multiple schools from a conference should also be a goal, but also not a requirement.

True, but we do always hear about how we want to maintain the integrity of conference play. You win your division, you win your conference, you get a chance.

I think it would be awesome to see an 8-5 team run up and down the field with the bigger conference. Remember the first Boise State game when they faced Oklahoma. Now that was fun, unless you were Oklahoma.

If you were 11-2 and lost in the conference game, hey good job, better luck next year.

If I were to make a playoff system, it would look similar to the BCS, except the games would matter. I would take the 5 champs from the AQ conferences & then the next 3 highest ranked at large teams with a max of 2 teams from any conference & there are your 8 teams that I would have in the playoff. I don't think you can limit it to only 1 team from each conference. You would end up with the SEC champ playing the Sun Belt champ in the 1st round or something like that. Yawn. 8 teams in my opinion is the way to go.

If I were to make a playoff system, it would look similar to the BCS, except the games would matter. I would take the 5 champs from the AQ conferences & then the next 3 highest ranked at large teams with a max of 2 teams from any conference & there are your 8 teams that I would have in the playoff. I don't think you can limit it to only 1 team from each conference. You would end up with the SEC champ playing the Sun Belt champ in the 1st round or something like that. Yawn. 8 teams in my opinion is the way to go.

Don't entirely disagree, but the foundation of the playoffs your suggesting is to subjective to rankings. Rankings don't mean anything because not every team plays each other, and as everyone has seen this year under that format there would have been possibly 3 SEC teams in the mix. You shouldn't be able to lose in the conference game or not even play at all.and then have a shot at the National Title,

Right off the bat with the 4 team playoff, being a conference champ needs to be a factor, but not the only one. If you have two 1 loss teams, team A won their conference and team B didnt even win their division, then Team A gets the slot.

That said, this format lasts no more than 5 years. There will be too much controversy, money and public demand for it to expand. It will be 5 champs from the power 5 conferences, with one slot for the 'best of the rest' conference champ, like Boise St from the Mountain West. With the committee selecting the last two teams as wild cards.

That format ends pretty much all controversy, as its if you didnt win your league, tough.

Pretty soon there will be 4 16 team conferences and the NCAA as we know it wil cease to exist. A 16 team playoff is coming. If you don't believe it, trust me, it's already in the works and it will happen.

I heard that on the radio at like 1am whole driving through Illinois about 5 years ago from some sports talk radio host and I just shook my head and said, "yeah right".

As events have unfolded since then, I tend to think he knew something most of us didn't.

The NCAA is a joke, it can't even police itself. The bowl games are losing out to a playoff already and Rutgers/Maryland are in the same conference as N.

just like CU is in the same conference as Utah.

I assume this question is being posed hypothetically for some future time when the playoff is not four teams selected by a committee. Imo, there needs to be provisions for getting the top 8 or 16 teams into the playoff. Only considering conference champions would not meet that goal. There have been, are, and likely will always be better 2nd and 3rd place teams in some conferences than there are champions from other conferences.

CF appears to be the only major sport where don't get a reasonable fair shot at winning a championship because you don't play every team. CBB is slightly more so because the big dance is so big, and I don't think a 16 seed has actually ever won, and including anyone else would have even less probability.

There has to be a better way to even up the playing field. That still allows for everyone to make a bunch of cash, and get a shot.

I think we can establish it here on this board lol

I assume this question is being posed hypothetically for some future time when the playoff is not four teams selected by a committee. Imo, there needs to be provisions for getting the top 8 or 16 teams into the playoff. Only considering conference champions would not meet that goal. There have been, are, and likely will always be better 2nd and 3rd place teams in some conferences than there are champions from other conferences.

Agree, but 2nd, and 3rd placed teams are based of their rankings which really don't tell the story. Auburn won their conference, as did Michigan State, both were under dogs, and I think everyone here will say that both Ohio State, and Alabama didn't deserve to be in the National Championship Picture

I must add, I am fairly ambivalent about the "need" for a playoff system in CFB. I realize the current and past systems were rife with problems and would not necessarily produce a "true" number one at the end. However, that is one of the primary reasons I like cfb. More than half the fun of it is the ongoing and endless discussions about woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios. Imo the system does not have to be perfect and flawless at determining a champion. But, if you're going to have a 6 or 8 team playoff, then it should strive to get the best teams in.

I must add, I am fairly ambivalent about the "need" for a playoff system in CFB. I realize the current and past systems were rife with problems and would not necessarily produce a "true" number one at the end. However, that is one of the primary reasons I like cfb. More than half the fun of it is the ongoing and endless discussions about woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios. Imo the system does not have to be perfect and flawless at determining a champion. But, if you're going to have a 6 or 8 team playoff, then it should strive to get the best teams in.

I agree!

I like the idea of about 6 major bowls played on New Year's Day. One of the bowl the day after maybe.

I think the pageantry and experience separate CFB from pro. Not the coaches salary, the facilities etc...

I think a bowl matchup system w one less non-con or some scenario would be best. I like the bowls and I think they are losing thier luster, or have lost it.