Super Bowl XLVIII Discussion Thread

Mavric

I'm trying to get a feel for this topic. Are they trying to blame the rest of the game on that first play? I know that now that the game is over, and seeing what we saw, and knowing what we know, that that play was really a tone setter. But seriously, there was 59 minutes and 48 seconds of football left after that play and it was only 2-0. That one play pretty much had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. As far as crowd noise goes, yeah it was loud. But theyve played in louder. They went into frickin Arrowhead and had no problems, amongst other places. I cant imagine that place being any more hostile than that. I dont get it I guess. The way i see it, Denver was gettin whooped on, safety or not. Denver came to play. Seattle came to win.

It figures someone would get that impression. You can call it an excuse, but they'd better have an excuse for every single ire thing they f'd up along the way. There were a million reasons Denver lost that game. I viewed the article in quite the opposite way. I thought it was an admittance of how poorly they prepared. An outright confession that they should have practiced for the crowd noise and were foolish not to. Practice and preparation happens to be a big part of this game fellas. I think some of you forget that. If they didn't practice communication for the Super Bowl, then I call that a fairly idiotic blunder, hardly an "excuse" I would admit to.

I agree about the players. The "they" I was referring to was the preparers of the article. And like was said earlier, beins it was the first play, it seems like theyre putting an awful lot of weight for how the rest of the game went on the result of that one play. To me that's just ludicrous.

I know that the players manned up and admitted total lack preparedness, and kudos to them for doing so.

So does Seattle's defense get considered as one of the all-time greats alongside the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens? Those defenses were good and all, but they didn't eviscerate the most prolific offense ever.

Personally, I don't think there's any doubt about it. They destroyed us. It seemed like they had 15 guys on the field. Very much 2000 Ravens like. 85 Bears I don't know, I was four years old and didn't watch Da Bears.

So does Seattle's defense get considered as one of the all-time greats alongside the '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens? Those defenses were good and all, but they didn't eviscerate the most prolific offense ever.

Personally, I don't think there's any doubt about it. They destroyed us. It seemed like they had 15 guys on the field. Very much 2000 Ravens like. 85 Bears I don't know, I was four years old and didn't watch Da Bears.

I think it's even more exceptional given how favorable the game is to receivers and QBs now. That was my biggest worry for Seattle, is they would get screwed on some PI calls and Peyton could have his way after that.

http://www.nfl.com/n...news-conference

One thing is for sure, with leaders like Elway, Manning, and Champ Bailey around, I think Denver ups the focus and comes back strong. I think Elway is still a player in his mind. I like the fire and competitiveness. It never goes away.

I won't question the leadership, but I might question the roster. It's not the same defense as when Peyton joined, and certainly they can't retain all those weapons on offense? You're probably closer to the situation than I.

Peyton, as great as he is, isn't going to carry a team to a championship. Especially at 38 years old. He'll look great in September, but pedestrian late in the season as he wears down. He old.

http://www.nfl.com/n...news-conference

One thing is for sure, with leaders like Elway, Manning, and Champ Bailey around, I think Denver ups the focus and comes back strong. I think Elway is still a player in his mind. I like the fire and competitiveness. It never goes away.

I won't question the leadership, but I might question the roster. It's not the same defense as when Peyton joined, and certainly they can't retain all those weapons on offense? You're probably closer to the situation than I.

Peyton, as great as he is, isn't going to carry a team to a championship. Especially at 38 years old. He'll look great in September, but pedestrian late in the season as he wears down. He old.

Decker and Moreno will probably be the two big name hits we take on offense. Losing both of them will suck big time IMO. Not sure how Welker feels about another year. Defensively I think Denver could be in big trouble. We will have to work hard to resign quite a few guys and probably won't be able to with some. I know if Champ Bailey wants to continue to play in Denver I believe he will have to restructure his contract. We have a lot of guys getting old, and a lot of injuries added up. The draft will be vital for Denver this season.

Here's a short article on more specific names. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25055334/denver-broncos-planning-let-freedom-ring-16-players

Decker would definitely be the worst to lose. Moreno has been very good the last year+ but I think he is replaceable. I'm torn on DRC - I'm not sure he's great but the Broncos are extremely thin in the secondary. There are 3-4 other guys who I'd like to have back but I'm not sure they couldn't find someone comparable in the draft/free agency.