Bill would require powerhouse Nebraska teams to move up in class

GM_Tood

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140123/NEWS/140129399

LINCOLN — High school sports powerhouses would be moved up to face stiffer competition under a new legislative proposal.

Legislative Bill 1081 would classify high school varsity teams based in part on their success, not just their enrollment. Those with winning teams year after year would be put into the next higher class.

--------------------

I can see where the guy is coming from, but I don't think it would be a good idea to bounce some of these powerhouse small class teams up..just because they are successful. Maybe go to a three class system instead of what we have now.

The biggest effect this would have would be on sports with only a 2 class system. In sports like soccer, baseball, schools like Skutt and Pius do very well every single year. Meanwhile, most of the OPS schools struggle.

Those schools I mentioned already play higher competition, so why not have the state tournament with the best competition?

I could see scheduling being a problem if schools moved around. They would need a say 3 or 4 year period, them get reevaluated and moved accordingly.

This is a huge issues with some schools budgets. Some schools who travel at most an hour now would have to go 2+ just to find a school in their class or get punished on power points or seeding at state.

I guess I'm not sure it would be. Really the only major problem would be a western Class B team going up to A. There are only four Class B teams west or North Platte, Scottsbluff would seem to the the only one in danger of being bumped and they were Class A for a long time anyway. And if they bumped North Platte down to B, it wouldn't be a lot more than a wash. The Class C and D teams are spread out enough that it would change much for them.

BTW, here are the enrollment numbers for next year.

https://nsaahome.org/textfile/about/1415enroll.pdf

and classifications for football

https://nsaahome.org/textfile/fbl/fbclass.pdf

South Sioux is now up to class A. Benson has dropped to B. Elkhorn South isn't far from moving up to A meaning North Platte and Columbus (who has been going back and forth between A and B) will be struggling to hold on to those last spots in A. Gretna will likely be moving to A in a few more years as well with the growth in the area.

Although there are a few schools in A and B, this issue is primarily focused on that C and D schools as that is where you find the majority of them. I know some years you can see six or seven private schools ranked in the top 10 in either football or basketball and they probably make up less then 25% of the schools in that class.

As for the issue itself, I'd say the the Senator from Wilbur is a wuss. When I was in high school we loved playing the bigger school or Catholic school. It was that much bigger of a win when you took them out.

BTW, here are the enrollment numbers for next year.

https://nsaahome.org.../1415enroll.pdf

and classifications for football

https://nsaahome.org...fbl/fbclass.pdf

South Sioux is now up to class A. Benson has dropped to B. Elkhorn South isn't far from moving up to A meaning North Platte and Columbus (who has been going back and forth between A and B) will be struggling to hold on to those last spots in A. Gretna will likely be moving to A in a few more years as well with the growth in the area.

Although there are a few schools in A and B, this issue is primarily focused on that C and D schools as that is where you find the majority of them. I know some years you can see six or seven private schools ranked in the top 10 in either football or basketball and they probably make up less then 25% of the schools in that class.

As for the issue itself, I'd say the the Senator from Wilbur is a wuss. When I was in high school we loved playing the bigger school or Catholic school. It was that much bigger of a win when you took them out.

From everything I have hear regarding this situation the school district is very close to building a 3rd Elkhorn high school to make sure that both current schools stay in class B. Not entirely sure on dates of when it would/could happen but this is what I've heard.