Huskers viewing Hboard

I'd be happy to tell Kenny Bell, man to man, that he's being far to sensitive to what some people on twitter or Huskerboard are saying about him. Especially considering he is one of the most beloved players on the team.

It's not about Kenny, it's about the team. He's standing up for all his guys.

My point still stands.

Like I said, victim blaming.

Not at all, actually. I'm not blaming him for people saying mean things to him. That would be victim blaming.

I am blaming him for responding. At that point, he's not a victim anymore, he's just another idiot on Twitter.

• Fire 1

The reason I have a problem with this, in case it wasnt clear or easily enought assumed in my earlier posts is because it seems like he's wasting a lot of energy (figuratively of course) and time on calling out the negative 5% dooshbags who literally do not even deserve the time of day from anyone, as opposed to embracing and publicly acknowledging those of us who love the guy, the team, the programs and so on. This is where my frustration is with this and this team right now. And like was said, he's reflecting the attitude of the coach. Cant argue with that. Whether it's intentional or how he really feels or not, the "world" in Bo's "us against the world" matra, has always seemed to include the fanbase. This is my one biggest grief. And it needs fixed.

I need to add that if he does do this, let me know. Cuz I guess I really dont know since it's not mentioned. Bottome line is, regardless, he pays too much attention to those who dont deserve any at all-no matter how much attention that is.

He does do that, constantly. Which is what I find funny. The same people who get mad at other fans for saying "only be positive, respond to the good stuff" are saying it about Kenny.

I'd be happy to tell Kenny Bell, man to man, that he's being far to sensitive to what some people on twitter or Huskerboard are saying about him. Especially considering he is one of the most beloved players on the team.

It's not about Kenny, it's about the team. He's standing up for all his guys.

My point still stands.

Like I said, victim blaming.

Not at all, actually. I'm not blaming him for people saying mean things to him. That would be victim blaming.

I am blaming him for responding. At that point, he's not a victim anymore, he's just another idiot on Twitter.

wjw

wjw

I was kind of thinking the same thing when you called him a "victim". It's not like he got hit by a car.

He chose to use the cesspool that is twitter and people said mean things. I can assure you, I am being far nicer to him than my dad would have been to me in the exact same situation. I believe the phrases "be a man", "grow a pair", and "if you want to cry, I'll give you something to cry about" would have come up. These were on Mean Dean's greatest hits. (Along with "its a long way from your heart" and "rub a little dirt on it")

Here's the thing, like most everyone here, I like Kenny Bell. He's a very talented receiver who has a legitimate shot at the NFL if he has a Senior year more along the lines of his Sophomore year than Junior year. That being said, he's never going to make it if he cannot handle random fans yelling nasty things at him. Good lord, one trip to Philly alone would destroy him. So, if he were looking to me for council, I would tell him exactly what I've said here. Don't use Twitter or message boards, you won't always like what people say about you. If you must use them, shut up and deal with it when someone says something mean. Literally nothing good will come from your response. If you can't handle some fan criticism, you'll have a very short pro career.

And if he called himself a victim, I would ask him if he wanted me to see if we could get Sarah McLachlan to sing him a song.

Additionally, all this tells me is that if I were a defender lined up across from him, it would be easy for me to get into his head and get him off of his game. You can be sure that if I were a coach of a Big Ten team, I would be making notes on this.

Junior hits the nail on the head for me. I think the overwhelming point is that it's a waste of time for players to take to social media and get upset at fans/journalists, because fans/journalists are going to get under their skin all the time throughout their whole career. We're certainly not saying a player can't be annoyed or upset by what's said, but again, all that kind of stuff comes with the territory of being a college athlete and professional athlete. A player will waste a lot of time and energy in the future going after these folks, and they risk alienating part of the fan base and people that (in the case of the NFL) pay their paycheck.

The reason I have a problem with this, in case it wasnt clear or easily enought assumed in my earlier posts is because it seems like he's wasting a lot of energy (figuratively of course) and time on calling out the negative 5% dooshbags who literally do not even deserve the time of day from anyone, as opposed to embracing and publicly acknowledging those of us who love the guy, the team, the programs and so on. This is where my frustration is with this and this team right now. And like was said, he's reflecting the attitude of the coach. Cant argue with that. Whether it's intentional or how he really feels or not, the "world" in Bo's "us against the world" matra, has always seemed to include the fanbase. This is my one biggest grief. And it needs fixed.

I need to add that if he does do this, let me know. Cuz I guess I really dont know since it's not mentioned. Bottome line is, regardless, he pays too much attention to those who dont deserve any at all-no matter how much attention that is.

He does do that, constantly. Which is what I find funny. The same people who get mad at other fans for saying "only be positive, respond to the good stuff" are saying it about Kenny.

Thank you. That's why I ended my comment with that "if". But I still wish he would completely just ignore what deserves to be ignored. it's really not all that difficult.

Kenny Bell has every right to make his own internet comments and opinion known. But hes the a hole in the end because hes a player?

Yep, Kenny's an a-hole. That's exactly what we're all saying. :dunno

If everyone was saying he was or wasnt there wouldnt exist a thread.

Actually Ive seen whiny and he needs to man up. A hole was my word, a summary if you will. Drop your grudge.

They don't have to hear criticism from all sides of the globe. Who is making them? I sure as sh#t didn't force a single one of these guys to get Tweeter, and NotFace2Facebook. You don't want to hear what people you don't even know have to say, guess what, real easy kiddo. Delete the sh#t. Great thing about cell phones, if you don't have my number, I don't have to hear or see you. I come to Huskerboard because I choose to. If I don't care to read some of this nonsense anymore I won't come here anymore. Period.

There is this new thing called the internet that allows everyone across the globe to communicate with one another. Your using it right now. There's also no filter on it. Bad apples spoil it for most fans. Just thought you should know since you think they don't have to hear/read criticism from all sides of the globe.

Telling them to just stay off the internet isn't an option for kids 5000 miles from home. It's unrealistic and honestly, ignorant to think they should.

And it's even more ignorant to think you can stop a handful of blowhards from posting negative and meanspirited attacks on you. I agree they're bad apples. Point remains that they don't have to spoil it for everybody. Players have to learn how to ignore it instead of stoking it. Some pros make this mistake, too. The smart ones have agents and managers who keep them from making unecessary Twitter problems for the themselves.

These young men also have to understand that the reason they are a target is because they're famous and successful. Most of us don't have people calling out our failures at work, but most of us also don't have 92,000 people cheering us on and grown men asking for our autographs and small children staring up at us like gods and the chance to make money playing our favorite game. Most of us did not get laid as easily and as often as these guys. They are the biggest celebrities in the state of Nebraska. The rest of America is no better. The world's most beloved celebrities are getting trashed somewhere at any given second.

There will always be trolls on the internet, but I am concerned that the "us vs. them" mentality has been used in the Husker locker room as a unifying and motivating force. A lot of coaches want their team to have a chip on its shoulder, but making the local media and unsatisfied fans into the bogeymen will come back to bite you on the ass.

I've seen almost nothing but love and respect for Kenny Bell for the past three seasons. Perhaps more love and respect than any other Husker.

That Kenny Bell chooses to fixate on the single worst thing some idiot might say about him is all on Kenny Bell.

Unfortunately, it also has the effect of dragging down the Kenny Bell love that 99% of us are feeling.

The "haters be hating" bullsh#t that fuels Twitter can end up a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Fire 1

These are KIDS guys...teenagers. You're sitting there thinking they will have the wherewithal to act like adults with the internet? Are you fugging kidding me? My son is this age and there is no way possible he could do even half of what people here say our players should do.

Oh I don't disagree with this at all, Dev. I have kids, too, even younger, and while I can't stop them from feeling bad when someone attacks them I can teach them not to make it worse. I try to teach them everyday: don't let the lowest common denominator drag you down.

And in fairness to the Husker fans who aren't mean-spirited douchbags but merely have criticisms: college football is a billion dollar entertainment business and fans are the paying customer. They are no more perfect than the players and coaches. The best fanbases are also the most notoriously rabid. It comes with the territory. It's hard to imagine a discussion of sports without a questioning of player performance. Feelings are going to get hurt. The best players find a way to push through.

Nobody is the victim here. It's the trade-off that comes with doing something so well that millions of people are willing to watch. Too bad it often rests on the shoulders of 18 year olds, but its an issue they have to figure out fast.

• Fire 1

Additionally, all this tells me is that if I were a defender lined up across from him, it would be easy for me to get into his head and get him off of his game.

That's a really good point, Jr.

This tells me that you don't understand human psychology much. There's a difference between written word and talking trash on game day.

Oops. I missed this post where you insulted me.

Apparently you don't know that written and verbal language are processed by the same brain.