Huskers viewing Hboard

Just because ideally that's how it should be, doesn't mean that's how it always is. I doubt anyone will argue that players, and teams as a whole, should ignore the personal criticism that sometimes gets hurled their way. The point is, that's not the real world. It doesn't always work like that.

I guess I'm confused what you're arguing then - do you think it's OK that players take to social media to bash fans, despite the precarious situation those players are in? Do you think it's OK for millionaire NFL players to take to the communication air waves to wine to the people that fund their paycheck? Yeah, excuse me while I blow my nose for RGIII's millions.

And what do you mean you doubt anyone will argue that players and teams should ignore personal criticisms? I don't mean this to be demeaning, even though it will be - have you ever watched a post game press conference or listened to a player/coach interview? They're ALWAYS talking about ignoring outside criticisms and focusing on the task at hand, even when it comes to the ridiculous criticisms. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant - we know they see what's written in the papers and we know they probably have a tough time ignoring it. And for the most part, I think a lot of players have figured this out - you either say nothing or you say "yeah, we hear it, but we try to just focus on ourselves."

Fine, maybe they don't have to ignore it, but they sure as hell shouldn't come griping to us about it. If they want to fester in the criticisms thrown their way, they're in for a looooong sports career.

Perhaps the question should be:

Why do the players elevate these people to such importance?

That's what I'm wondering. They need to grow thicker skin, as do some of the coaches who use twitter and make similar comments. (Which is even worse than players doing it). They should put 0 importance on negative fan comments. It shouldn't be something they ever mention.

They're all kids. And the sooner they realize that none of this sh#t matters, the better off they will be. For Christs sake, Sipple still hasn't figured it out so I understand when kids take these things too seriously. It doesn't matter.

If you have to look for outside sources to find positive fuel, motivation towards your goals, then you're missing something. It goes both ways. If you allow negativity from outside sources, especially people you don't even know, to truly affect your life, then you're missing something.

Be your own source of fuel. Find reasons in your own life to be up. Don't look for reasons to be down. I'm no expert but God as my witness, if you had a clue about all the things that could have me down right now, you would just trust me. There are days when I have to find things to be excited about. And I do.

It's so excellent you're here to impart this life wisdom on them.

It's pretty solid advice.

• Fire 3

The husker fan base is more tame than most.. all fan bases have these boards and all of them say positive and negative things.... dont take it offensively.. that is part of the game.

Well there is that one Bamy site where you cannot say ANYTHING bad about Bamy/players/Bear Bryant or else you get immediately banned.

Ohhhhhh... which one?! I have never been banned before! LOL

That would be the infamous tidefans.com.

Some of their rules:

infractions.png

strikes.png

LSU fans were banned following Bama's 2011 6-9 OT loss to the Tigers and are still banned some 26 months later.

eGUwwBR.jpg

But it's not as if fans of other teams are really allowed either. It's the largest sunshine pump I've seen on the internet.

I find it interesting how message boards can in some ways reflect the general culture...or stereotyped culture...of a school's fans. Bama's largest board is huge, crazy and isolationist. LSU's largest board has devolved into a hugely successful arena for throw downs between fans from across the SEC while Kansas State's is just one gigantic vulgar troll board.

whats the name of this LSU one?

The one I was referring to is Tigerdroppings.com. Their conference subforum eventually grew so big that they spun it off and created SECRant which is still owned by the same guy and is deeply connected to TD.

I guess I'm confused what you're arguing then - do you think it's OK that players take to social media to bash fans, despite the precarious situation those players are in? Do you think it's OK for millionaire NFL players to take to the communication air waves to wine to the people that fund their paycheck? Yeah, excuse me while I blow my nose for RGIII's millions.

Both totally irrelevant to this conversation.

And what do you mean you doubt anyone will argue that players and teams should ignore personal criticisms?

Again, misunderstanding. Make it "argue against the idea that" and you may understand. I'll politely ignore the rest of the post that wasn't meant to be demeaning, but that you figured would be. "I'm not a racist, but..."

But my point still remains. No matter how much people wish it, coach against it, or anything else, it's still going to get to some players, especially young players at the college level. And nobody can really say one way or another how much effect it can actually have when it does get to people. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement in that area for the coaching staff or the players on the personal level. But it does mean the air of "well it's the players' fault if they get affected by this stuff" that some fans have is rather insulting and downright ludicrous.

So it's fine for all us "adults" to go on cranky rants and it's just because we care so much but the players are supposed to be more mature than that. Got it.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

But the person in question up there would do very well to cool his heels with statements like that. He knows he's a public figure in certain circles. He even embraces it. Until something goes the slightest bit south, then he wants his privacy and people to "shut up".

And this was unprovoked, just like when he tweeted back at a LJS beat writer about positivity when he paid Tim Miles and the basketball team a compliment. And it's also a distraction.

And not to hurt any delicate feelings out there, but someone ought to explain to him the intelligence factor of putting something like on a public feed where someone can screenshot it, which is how I saw it originally, and then put it on here.

• Fire 4