Huskers viewing Hboard

Where's Gump?

vg62.png

Look closer.

That's pretty clearly photoshopped. That's not where Gump was standing. I'm guessing Bear Bryant had Gump airbrushed out of this photo (airbrushing was the photoshop of the 1960s) because he didn't want his star kick returner embarrassing the program.

Here's a more accurate photo from a more reliable historical source Bryant clearly couldn't influence:

KYi5dn0.jpg

There's a couple of things about criticism and the internet. First, it's never going to go away. And second, every single team in the nation deals with it, especially teams competing for national titles. Yet, teams still figure out how to win titles and get past the criticism. It can never be used as an excuse, though, I'm not saying the players are.

I hate seeing the ridiculous things people say on the internet. In the same breath, I hate when I see athletes complain about it. You're in college, getting a fully paid education and enjoying near royalty status to play a GAME. Though they aren't directly getting paid, their experience (as a team) is worth millions. College athletes don't deserve near the criticism of their paid coaches, but they're not immune, as long as it's fair and legitimate.

NFL athletes deserve more criticisms because they're actually paid salaries. I know dumb stuff gets said on here and everywhere else but it's tough for me to feel sorry for them. It's one thing if people take out their anger on them physically be it vandalism, threats, etc. But, anything said on here, they just need to look past it, suck it up and move forward. Which, for the most part, I think many do.

• Fire 2

But, anything said on here, they just need to look past it, suck it up and move forward. Which, for the most part, I think many do.

That's easier said than done for some people, especially when you're talking about 18-22 year olds. It's one thing for us to say that when, quite honestly, most of us really do not have much invested in the football program, at least compared to these kids. It's quite another when these kids, and they are essentially kids, put their heart and soul into something and get ripped apart with personal comments by a small, but vocal, minority who are supposed to be a part of the vaunted "best college football fans EVAR!"

But, anything said on here, they just need to look past it, suck it up and move forward. Which, for the most part, I think many do.

That's easier said than done for some people, especially when you're talking about 18-22 year olds. It's one thing for us to say that when, quite honestly, most of us really do not have much invested in the football program, at least compared to these kids. It's quite another when these kids, and they are essentially kids, put their heart and soul into something and get ripped apart with personal comments by a small, but vocal, minority who are supposed to be a part of the vaunted "best college football fans EVAR!"

True, but as I said, every single college football player deals with it. If our players are checking out HB, then Texas players are certainly checking out shaggybevo, which is an unquestionable cesspool. And if you peruse any of the message boards from the south, they're often far more vitriol and have way less controls in place than we do on HB.

Again, some fans are stupid, but getting outwardly frustrated over it is something you just flat out can't do. Division one athletes have to take the good with the bad, and if other teams can find ways to win while dealing with worse fans, then Nebraska can do it, too.

You're assuming players from other teams don't get bothered by it, which I'm guessing is a faulty assumption. Just because you hear about it from one team and not some others doens't mean it doesn't occasionally become an issue at those others. These people are just kids in the grand scheme of things and sometimes stuff gets to them. It's just that simple. It's human nature and you can't change that, no matter how much you try. As you grow older, it gets easier to handle.

I don't think Enhance is assuming that other teams aren't bothered by it. I also don't think he's saying that this isn't a big deal because everyone deals with it. All he's saying is that this negative criticism doesn't play a factor at all (or if it does, it's negligible) in the outcome of games. It's not something that can be pointed to when we lose.

Can it be improved? Sure. Fans: stop tweeting terrible things at players. You know that's never going to work, for every one fan that stops, ten "fans" step in for him/her. Players: stop reading social media. You know that's never going to work either. Social media is how we keep updated with just about everything. So what can be done that will have any sort of effect?

What can be done is a head coach who teaches his players to stay above the fray and understand that the increased scrutiny and access is just part of the territory. You can live with it and deal with it in healthy ways. Head coaches at high profile programs have always had to do this, but naturally, it's become a bigger part of the equation of late.

What can be done is a head coach who teaches his players to stay above the fray and understand that the increased scrutiny and access is just part of the territory. You can live with it and deal with it in healthy ways. Head coaches at high profile programs have always had to do this, but naturally, it's become a bigger part of the equation of late.

Social media is becoming a bigger influence, no doubt. And a coach who teaches his players how to deal with it the right way can only teach. In the end, it's up to the players to learn, and want to change.