Defensive End Next Year

Some talk going on about this in one of the recruits profiles so I thought I'd bring it out here for people to discuss. W/o Moss we have a lineup of: Gregory, McMullen, Keels, Natter. After that I don't believe we have another scholarship DE (besides incoming FR). That is a pretty good top 4 rotation, but injury could really throw us for a loop. One of the best, if not the best, pass rushers I saw at the DE spot was actually OU LB'er Aaron (I think that's the 1st name) Striker. He is only like 6'0 220ish but he can get to the QB almost at will, he's the guy that tore Bama apart. Which LB's or other guys do you think could situationally step into a DE spot for a few plays? My vote's would probably be Marcus Newby or Banderas.

eric striker.

i hope the rotation goes something like this: Keels replaces ankrah w/ mcmullen at the backup. Gregory on the other side as the pass rusher w/ Natter as his backup. Hope Natter hits 255 lbs, he's 240 right now. The rest of the roster goes Vestal, Walker ashburn, then some other walk-ons.

I've been hearing good things about marcus newby, maybe he can be that eric striker. He's 6-1, 213 lbs. Looked pretty fast in his highlight tape:

eric striker.

i hope the rotation goes something like this: Keels replaces ankrah w/ mcmullen at the backup. Gregory on the other side as the pass rusher w/ Natter as his backup. Hope Natter hits 255 lbs, he's 240 right now. The rest of the roster goes Vestal, Walker ashburn, then some other walk-ons.

I've been hearing good things about marcus newby, maybe he can be that eric striker. He's 6-1, 213 lbs. Looked pretty fast in his highlight tape

From player quotes, Marcus Newby is a hard hitting and intercepting machine. I guess (in practice) he shows a lot of Lavonte David instincts. I hope we get to see him this year, and he can prove that he is that player. I was most excited about this player in that recruiting class at LBer.

I think and hope that we will see either Keels or McMullen as a full time starter next year. McMullen was starting to emerge at the end of the year, maybe due to being more comfortable? According to Bo, he was going to be our best "hybrid" player before the season.

eric striker.

I've been hearing good things about marcus newby, maybe he can be that eric striker. He's 6-1, 213 lbs. Looked pretty fast in his highlight tape:

Your right, its Eric. Thanks

I agree that Bando or Newby could possibly fill that role. Although I haven't actually seen him other than a picture, it makes it a little harder to judge but I would suggest Courtney Love. From everything I've heard dude is a man among boys. He looks like he's about 30 in his picture.

I thought of him at first, but the key to getting around the edge is speed, which I have not heard about from him.

I agree that Bando or Newby could possibly fill that role. Although I haven't actually seen him other than a picture, it makes it a little harder to judge but I would suggest Courtney Love. From everything I've heard dude is a man among boys. He looks like he's about 30 in his picture.

I thought of him at first, but the key to getting around the edge is speed, which I have not heard about from him.

That's true. I was thinking more along the lines of size to fit the part, not so much the speed factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of you guys are really overthinking this a bit to much. Barring injury no more than a 4 man rotation is needed at any position. Even back in the glory days of the 90's only the top 4 DE played all that much.

In 1995 You had Wistrom, Tomich, Rucker, and Chad Kelsey I believe was the other d-end to see a lot of time. My memory may be off so someone may want to correct me.

I think some of you guys are really overthinking this a bit to much. Barring injury no more than a 4 man rotation is needed at any position. Even back in the glory days of the 90's only the top 4 DE played all that much.

In 1995 You had Wistrom, Tomich, Rucker, and Chad Kelsey I believe was the other d-end to see a lot of time. My memory may be off so someone may want to correct me.

I said in my original post that our top 4 can be pretty dang good. The concern I stated was that if injuries hit (knock on wood), our next scholly DE is a TRFR.

Luther Hardin was in the 4 man quite a bit in '95.