Am I the only one who thinks we have an over stock of running backs? Yes there are worse problems to have, but it seems to me we have an influx that I fear will affect future recruiting. We have Abdullah, Sr. Cross, Jr. Newby So. Taylor, Rf. Not to mention incoming Wilbon and a few others. Would really hate to see some great talent walk out the door due to playing time.

If I had my druthers we'd have a couple fewer RB recruits and a couple more DT recruits. Then again, maybe one or two of our many DEs will end up moving inside. So who knows?

I think that's more of a deal where we have just recruited rb better than dt.

As far as our current rb's go I'd like to see us try to spread the talent around some. Use Cross some at fullback and H-back. Could use Newby in the slot some. Psyched to see what Taylor can do. Will be interested to see if one can set himself apart as the heir AA as the feature-back.

Am I the only one who thinks we have an over stock of running backs? Yes there are worse problems to have, but it seems to me we have an influx that I fear will affect future recruiting. We have Abdullah, Sr. Cross, Jr. Newby So. Taylor, Rf. Not to mention incoming Wilbon and a few others. Would really hate to see some great talent walk out the door due to playing time.

If I had my druthers we'd have a couple fewer RB recruits and a couple more DT recruits. Then again, maybe one or two of our many DEs will end up moving inside. So who knows?

As far as our current rb's go I'd like to see us try to spread the talent around some. Use Cross some at fullback and H-back. Could use Newby in the slot some. Psyched to see what Taylor can do. Will be interested to see if one can set himself apart as the heir AA as the feature-back.

This. The problem isn't having too many, it's that the staff refuses to do much more than grind the #1 guy into sawdust while your highly regarded backups get plenty of bench time, then transfer after a year. They need to spread the ball around.

This. The problem isn't having too many, it's that the staff refuses to do much more than grind the #1 guy into sawdust while your highly regarded backups get plenty of bench time, then transfer after a year. They need to spread the ball around.

:facepalm: Then we have people complaining that AA is out of the game too much so our strength and conditioning must suck. I guess when he comes out, we must not have any RBs in the game.

:facepalm: Then we have people complaining that AA is out of the game too much so our strength and conditioning must suck. I guess when he comes out, we must not have any RBs in the game.

It's pretty simple, really. If the coaches would just pull their heads out and have an offense that runs 200 plays per game, everyone would get the touches that they need.

It's pretty simple, really. If the coaches would just pull their heads out and have an offense that runs 200 plays per game, everyone would get the touches that they need.

Personally, I'd rather have our #1 back be fresh the entire season,as opposed to how Ameer looked at the end of 2012 or how Rex looked at the end of 2011. Stupid me.

Non QB Carries:

2013: AA - 281; Imani - 85; Newby - 54

2012: AA - 226; Burkhead - 98; Imani - 55; Heard - 52

2011: Burkhead - 284; AA - 42; Heard - 25; Green - 24

So I assume since you didn't list 2013 that you thought AA looked more fresh this year? But he had 55 more carries than the previous year in one fewer game. And basically the same as Burkhead two years ago.

I agree with you that I'd rather be more balanced and keep guys fresh. The thing that is interesting is how many times Person A says "The coaches are stupid for doing X" while Person B says "The coaches are stupid for not doing X". (X being the same in both sentenses for those who haven't taken Algebra in awhile.)

Never

Non QB Carries:

So I assume since you didn't list 2013 that you thought AA looked more fresh this year? But he had 55 more carries than the previous year in one fewer game. And basically the same as Burkhead two years ago.

AA was run into the ground in 2012 during the Penn St game. You could see it's impact the last few games. Had Burkhead not stepped up we might be talking about the Iowa loss differently since it would be 2 in a row. They managed him much better this season. More carries, but he only got outside the low 20's once or twice. And I think he was in better condition 2013 than he was 12'.

Our featured running back has been getting 20 - 25 carries a game, which isn't exactly running him into the ground. It's what you earn by being the best running back on the team.

Because we also have running quarterbacks it brings down the overall carries the back-up running backs might get. Imani Cross might be itching for more carries, but he's had his shots, scored more than his share of touchdowns, and had his own issues with ball security. Newby looked promising, but how many times would you prefer him getting the ball over Ameer?

Sometimes we've asked Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah to carry an entire game, and that's what made them heroes. "Staying fresh" isn't all its cracked up to be.

Looking forward to seeing Taylor, get his chance. Newby doesn't seem to be the back I thought he would be. He doesn't seem to have the quick's to make any moves to make anyone miss.These two were tops in there state, now I just hope the Huskers have hit on at least one, of these two.

GBR!!!

Ameer doesn't agree, he said Newby was the best back at Nebraska right now. Just hasn't shown it (which it is unfair to expect a TRFr with limited carries to show it).

• Fire 1

Looking forward to seeing Taylor, get his chance. Newby doesn't seem to be the back I thought he would be. He doesn't seem to have the quick's to make any moves to make anyone miss.These two were tops in there state, now I just hope the Huskers have hit on at least one, of these two.

GBR!!!

Ameer doesn't agree, he said Newby was the best back at Nebraska right now. Just hasn't shown it (which it is unfair to expect a TRFr with limited carries to show it).

I was actually really impressed with Newby in his limited opportunities. He didn't have any highlight reel plays and should have caught two more balls but I was impressed at how hard he ran for a guy who is supposed to be a burner. Lowered his shoulder several times and ran over people early in the year. I'm looking forward to what he can do with some more opportunities.

GBR!!!

I was actually really impressed with Newby in his limited opportunities. He didn't have any highlight reel plays and should have caught two more balls but I was impressed at how hard he ran for a guy who is supposed to be a burner. Lowered his shoulder several times and ran over people early in the year. I'm looking forward to what he can do with some more opportunities.

Agreed.

EDIT: When I said "just hasn't shown it", that was what Ameer said not myself.

Non QB Carries:

AA was run into the ground in 2012 during the Penn St game. You could see it's impact the last few games. Had Burkhead not stepped up we might be talking about the Iowa loss differently since it would be 2 in a row. They managed him much better this season. More carries, but he only got outside the low 20's once or twice. And I think he was in better condition 2013 than he was 12'.

Agree with both of you. Ameer did look pretty fresh most of 2013, which surprised me. I'd personally like to see the carries shared more. If one guy gets a hot hand, ride him for awhile. Whomever said that being fresh isn't all that its cracked up to be.......really? Yeah, tired running backs are really efficient.....

One of our four commits for the 2015 class is a RB, Kendall Bussey, so, doesn't seem to be a deterrent from recruiting new, quality RB. I think the coaches do realize that this is a stocked position because they told Bussey he is the only RB they will take in 2015 (we'll see if that holds up).