Nebraska Revenue from Big Ten Conference

Mavric

The $15 million partial share of Big Ten revenue Nebraska received last year fell substantially below what former conference brethren such as Oklahoma, Texas and Iowa State received from the Big 12. In fact, the vast majority of big-time football schools were paid more by their leagues.

What's more, the University of Maryland, a relative no-name in football, is expected to be paid more than Nebraska when it joins the Big Ten next year.

So did Nebraska get a raw deal? Only if you look at the short term.

Other numbers uncovered by The World-­Herald suggest Nebraska in three years is headed for a big financial score with the Big Ten.

In 2017, when Nebraska will finally be on equal financial footing with the core Big Ten schools, the school's annual revenue from the conference could well swell to between $40 million and $50 million a year.

Such a figure is astounding compared with four years ago, when the Big 12 paid NU $9 million.

The university in 2017 also gains a full ownership share in the Big Ten's TV network, which analysts have valued at more than $1.3 billion.

OWH Article

Maryland had no money, they were front loaded some of their deal to pay off bills and save like 6 sports that were going to be axed.

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/terps-moving-to-the-big-ten-44526.html

The big reason why Maryland chose the Big Ten is the conference payouts. When Maryland joins the Big Ten for the 2014 season, they will immediately make $32 million in revenue, $12 million more than the ACC’s $20 million payout to their schools. The Big Ten’s payout to Maryland will increase to $33 million in 2015, $34.5 million in 2016, and then it will jump to $43 million in 2017 after the Big Ten renews their TV contract. Then the payout will increase to $44 million in 2018 and $45 million in 2019.

MONEY and Stability. That's why Nebraska left the Big 12 and headed for the Big 10.

So that reasoning has been further cemented by these reports.

Texas will always do what's in its best interest ahead of the conference. Oklahoma will always follow the Longhorns lead. And the rest of the league, quite frankly, is pretty much a joke. So the day that Texas bolts, the whole league will fold. It might never happen. Or it might happen tomorrow.

MONEY and Stability. That's why Nebraska left the Big 12 and headed for the Big 10.

So that reasoning has been further cemented by these reports.

Texas will always do what's in its best interest ahead of the conference. Oklahoma will always follow the Longhorns lead. And the rest of the league, quite frankly, is pretty much a joke. So the day that Texas bolts, the whole league will fold. It might never happen. Or it might happen tomorrow.

difference is we are pretty decent at football, Maryland sucks at football and baseketball.

Jeebus Kriest. With Maryland comes TV sets. It's that simple. Get over it. That's what it's always going to be about.

While i understand that why not pick a better school? If the ACC is willing to let them go and walk out the door easily maybe they know Marlyand doesn't add that much in terms of tv?

I dont know. Part of me is as frustrated about it as anyone, but they bring something to the table that maybe we just dont know about yet. I dont but Delaney must. There must be something there so we'll see how it plays out.

Jeebus Kriest. With Maryland comes TV sets. It's that simple. Get over it. That's what it's always going to be about.

While i understand that why not pick a better school? If the ACC is willing to let them go and walk out the door easily maybe they know Marlyand doesn't add that much in terms of tv?

I dont know. Part of me is as frustrated about it as anyone, but they bring something to the table that maybe we just dont know about yet. I dont but Delaney must. There must be something there so we'll see how it plays out.

i guess we will find out.

I believe the B1G tried to grab different teams instead of Rutgers and Maryland but couldn't get it done. I know Virgina and possibly GT were the first choices ( Woody could answer it for sure ) but Virgina didn't want to upset the Tobacco Road schools and not sure what happened with GT. Maryland is pretty strong in womens athletics and Rutgers isn't to shabby either.

Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska were 3 out of the top 4 money generating candidates from expansion, only Texas was higher.

CANDIDATES TOTAL ADDED REVENUE ESTIMATE

Texas $101,369,004

Rutgers WITH NYC $67,798,609

Nebraska $54,487,990

Maryland $50,818,889

http://frankthetank.me/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/