Nebraska Revenue from Big Ten Conference

Mavric

Jeebus Kriest. With Maryland comes TV sets. It's that simple. Get over it. That's what it's always going to be about.

While i understand that why not pick a better school? If the ACC is willing to let them go and walk out the door easily maybe they know Marlyand doesn't add that much in terms of tv?

Its about TV markets. Rutgers is in the NY and NJ markets areas, the largest in the country, and Maryland is in the DC footprint, another giant market. More money, and more TV exposure from the B1G's MUCH better TV package can only help them. With the talent rich areas they are in, they could be sleeping giants, if they can get the right coaches in place. They are also regionally close to PSU, which is something they have wanted for some time

And who knows what the Big10 brand will do for those schools. Look what a change of scenery and the SEC brand did for A&M.

don't get too excited about the change and positive effect it had on A&M. 1. they fired their coach and got a better coach. 2. Manziel redshirted the entire 2011 season while A&M was in the Big 12. A&M would've had the same success even if they had stayed in the Big 12 and possibly even better and it's reasonable to conclude that. they had all the pieces in place to be good it just so happens they switched conferences.

And who knows what the Big10 brand will do for those schools. Look what a change of scenery and the SEC brand did for A&M.

don't get too excited about the change and positive effect it had on A&M. 1. they fired their coach and got a better coach. 2. Manziel redshirted the entire 2011 season while A&M was in the Big 12. A&M would've had the same success even if they had stayed in the Big 12 and possibly even better and it's reasonable to conclude that. they had all the pieces in place to be good it just so happens they switched conferences.

Okay husker, what about Missouri?

Missouri i could see getting a boost. Against it the only thing i see is that Pinkel does having losing seasons every now and then. But i do believe the switch did benefit Missouri more than A&M.

I always said Missouri was not as bad as 2012 (due to their injuries) and not as good as 2013 (due to catching the opponents when they had key injuries)

And now they have the SEC to sell to the top HS players of Texas. Look at what it has done to recruiting. New coach or not. Manziel or not. Moving to the SEC has done so much for A&M, much more so that staying in the Big12 ever wouldve been close to doing. It has made Texas A&M the kings of Texas. Not Texas.

OW985928.JPG

2010-11 bar chart revenue? Misprint? Like $13.4 instead of $3.4 :dunno ?

from OWH article: UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman says he has no regrets over the deal he negotiated with the Big Ten in 2010

I always distrust Harvey

In the notes section of the graph it explains that 2010-2011 reflects and 8.7 million dollar penalty for leaving the Big 12.

I believe the B1G tried to grab different teams instead of Rutgers and Maryland but couldn't get it done. I know Virgina and possibly GT were the first choices ( Woody could answer it for sure ) but Virgina didn't want to upset the Tobacco Road schools and not sure what happened with GT. Maryland is pretty strong in womens athletics and Rutgers isn't to shabby either.

Jim-Halpert-Sarcastic-Fist-Pump.gif

the B1G needs Nebraska to become more than a 9-10 win team in the next couple of years. Michigan looks to be on a continued path of underperforming, MSU doesn't have the draw, Wisconsin the brand (yet), and PSU is going to be still endurring/recovering from sanctions in 2015/2016. Those two seasons will be very important to the network negotiations, and if the B1G looks like it has the last couple of years it could cost the league A LOT of money. I'm sure the numbers will be high regardless, but the next 10 years is going to be impacted greatly by the next few.

Jeebus Kriest. With Maryland comes TV sets. It's that simple. Get over it. That's what it's always going to be about.

While i understand that why not pick a better school? If the ACC is willing to let them go and walk out the door easily maybe they know Marlyand doesn't add that much in terms of tv?

The ACC is locked up in a $50 million lawsuit with Maryland. I don't know about you, but that hardly seems like "letting them go".

The ACC is locked up in a $50 million lawsuit with Maryland. I don't know about you, but that hardly seems like "letting them go".

no team is going to walk away without paying. What i meant by letting them go they really aren't trying to keep Maryland in the ACC. If Maryland turns out to be a big bust it will hurt us bad.