Fremont, NE doubles down on the stupid

It is unbelievable that Freemont hasn't grown at all being only 20 minutes away from Omaha and 75 minutes away from Lincoln.

I think that tells a lot about the perception and management of the city of Freemont.

Yep!

Heck, doesn't it have a nice lake area too, yet, no one goes there.

It has a lake area. I wouldn't go so far as to call it nice.

It is unbelievable that Freemont hasn't grown at all being only 20 minutes away from Omaha and 75 minutes away from Lincoln.

I think that tells a lot about the perception and management of the city of Freemont.

Yep!

Heck, doesn't it have a nice lake area too, yet, no one goes there.

It has a lake area. I wouldn't go so far as to call it nice.

Develop it into something nice.

I'm with you on the distaste for Fremont. I worked at a camp outside that place for 7 years. The Fremont Wal*Mart at 1am is like a dream you'd have after eating a bunch of Taco Bell and chasing it with some Ambien.

It's a town in it's own little bubble, it seems like. And the cops...

I find your comments about Walmart kind of funny. When I go to Walmart here, I am more disgusted with many of the white people there than hardly any of the hispanics.

Columbus in particular has benefited from Fremont's "keep it small" mentality by snagging several businesses that wanted to go to Fremont first, but Fremont wouldn't work with them.

Columbus isn't exactly doing a commendable job embracing minorities or thriving as a town in it's own right... although compared to Fremont any place will look a lot better.

Fremont has more than 20 lakes in the Fremont State Lakes recreation area, and there was a time when it was a pretty big draw. Lake Ventura is the water skiing lake, but we never went there - we always went to Lake 20 or one of the others to fish. Those lakes are old sand quarries, and the area around them is still pretty saturated with sand.

I haven't been in that area for over 20 years, but it was pretty run-down when I lived in Fremont. I can only imagine what it's like if they haven't made improvements since.

About the coolest thing from the Fremont State Lakes is that bald eagles will sometimes hang out there in the winter. We would drive through some of the lanes between the lakes and see 10-15 of them, huge birds hanging out in the trees.

I'm with you on the distaste for Fremont. I worked at a camp outside that place for 7 years. The Fremont Wal*Mart at 1am is like a dream you'd have after eating a bunch of Taco Bell and chasing it with some Ambien.

I find your comments about Walmart kind of funny. When I go to Walmart here, I am more disgusted with many of the white people there than hardly any of the hispanics.

I'm confused. I didn't mention race at all, nor did I mean to imply anything to do with race.

(Was it because I mentioned Taco Bell? Because Taco Bell is about as hispanic as fortune cookies are Chinese.)

Fremont has more than 20 lakes in the Fremont State Lakes recreation area, and there was a time when it was a pretty big draw. Lake Ventura is the water skiing lake, but we never went there - we always went to Lake 20 or one of the others to fish. Those lakes are old sand quarries, and the area around them is still pretty saturated with sand.

I haven't been in that area for over 20 years, but it was pretty run-down when I lived in Fremont. I can only imagine what it's like if they haven't made improvements since.

About the coolest thing from the Fremont State Lakes is that bald eagles will sometimes hang out there in the winter. We would drive through some of the lanes between the lakes and see 10-15 of them, huge birds hanging out in the trees.

Bald eagles nest there all year, we used to take campers on airboat tours up and down the Platte in the summer and see lots of cool wildlife. Fremont has a lot going for it if it weren't...well...Fremont.

I'm confused. I didn't mention race at all, nor did I mean to imply anything to do with race.

(Was it because I mentioned Taco Bell? Because Taco Bell is about as hispanic as fortune cookies are Chinese.)

Calm down Tex....the entire thread is about a community that has decided they don't want hispanic immigrants in their community. You mentioned the Walmart there. I then added a comment that means that I find if funny when communities claim they don't want hispanics because when I go to Walmart, the white people there are more worthless looking than the hispanics that usually are dressed fairly well, clean cut and actually look employable.

I know...I'm judging people on their looks but....hey...it's a free world isn't it?

i always thought columbus was nice and norfolk was a dump. but recently it seems as if those assumptions have reversed. thoughts?

From my perspective living in Columbus and being near Norfolk/working there during college, I've gotta say I think you have it backwards.

i always thought columbus was nice and norfolk was a dump. but recently it seems as if those assumptions have reversed. thoughts?

From my perspective living in Columbus and being near Norfolk/working there during college, I've gotta say I think you have it backwards.

which time? did i have it backwards (columbus:nice::norfolk:not nice) or now do i have it backwards (columbus:not nice::norfork:nice)?