Fremont, NE doubles down on the stupid

Fremont's walmart is a white-trash freak show. It makes me want to bath myself in bleach.

That is reflective of Fremont as a whole.

So, similar to Council Bluffs then? I have only driven through Fremont once.

I drive through it all the time. Doesn't seem sooo bad rolling through. I, however, haven't spent more than a couple hours there at any given time.

When I was a wee lad in the 1970s Fremont's population was 23,000. Today it's 25,000. In contrast, Norfolk, Grand Island, Kearney and Columbus have all grown much larger, much faster. Columbus in particular has benefited from Fremont's "keep it small" mentality by snagging several businesses that wanted to go to Fremont first, but Fremont wouldn't work with them. "We have Hormel" was always the mindset, and to this day Hormel is the largest employer in that town. Look at the proliferation of meatpacking plants on the Highway 30 corridor between Schuyler and Columbus - a lot of those plants wanted to locate in and around Fremont, but... they aren't there.

i always thought columbus was nice and norfolk was a dump. but recently it seems as if those assumptions have reversed. thoughts?

Just a couple observations as I grew up in Columbus and am somewhat familiar with both Norfolk and more so Fremont.

I grew up/lived in Columbus from 63 to 81. I do not recall there being one single family of color, or further, any religion other than Christian denominations. It was extremely sheltered to say the least. The closest thing I can remember that did not fit the white Christian mold was a gay guy who lived a few doors away from us. He was a respected close friend of the family and, funny enough, he was white and Christian also. I always figured Fremont and Norfolk were pretty much the same way. We competed against them in sports and their crowd was similar looking to ours. Although I will say of all our "rivals", Fremont, Norfolk, and Grand Island were the bitterest and least liked (sp?) and I always thought their towns were a bit grungier (sp?) than Columbus. I did not personally experience racism or prejudice living in Columbus because, quite frankly, there was no different group to direct those type of thoughts towards. I always thought Columbus was quite accepting but maybe sheltered to a fault. I liked it there.

Oops, there is one exception (that I know of) to my statement that there were no persons of color in town. In the late 70's my church sponsored a Vietnamese boat family, bringing to town 5 Vietnamese persons. One of them was a boy near my age. I believe he had some initial trouble integrating into the community because of the obvious language barrier but I do not recall any type of prejudice or discrimination. He picked up the language extremely quickly and was pretty readily accepted in school. In fact, I think he was more readily accepted because he was "different" than say some relocated white kid might have been. Somewhat ironically to this discussion, our Vietnamese boat family very soon (within 2 years) moved to Fremont for jobs at Hormel.

Fast forward about 10-15 years. I do not recognize Columbus as the same place I (thought I) grew up. There has been a fairly rapid and numerable influx of Hispanics. I do not know what the climate or attitude towards them is like in Columbus. But knapplc is correct, I believe most of them were drawn there for jobs in industry, particularly the meat packing industry. I am somewhat familiar with that industry. It is the same virtually anywhere in the country. What used to be jobs populated by primarily white ethnic groups, typically of eastern European descent, has shifted to newer immigrants, primarily Mexican, South American, South Asian, and more recently Somalians. It is hard labor for little pay in near atrocious conditions. Trust me when I say "they" aren't taking our jobs. They are simply willing to do jobs that you, I, and most aren't willing or wanting to do. In a generation or 2, they won't be doing them either. Then it will still be the new kids on the block doing them.

Current day- We still have family and friends in Columbus. We get back there once in awhile but I really don't know what things are like. From a purely observational view, the town looks rundown and in desperate need of infrastructure improvement. There are definitely more choices for Hispanic food and there has been some rather staggering industry growth on the east side of town. There are many more shopiing/dining choices and many of them are a vast improvement over the way it used to be but, I could never live there again after having lived in Lincoln for 5 years and all the time since living in Greeley. It just still seems like a step back in time to me. I don't know why I felt the need to interject my Columbus story here. I guess it just seemed as if my experiences bolstered the claims being made about how Cbus has progressed while Fremont apparently has not changed much.

• Fire 2

I believe he had some initial trouble integrating into the community because of the obvious language barrier but I do not recall any type of prejudice or discrimination. He picked up the language extremely quickly and was pretty readily accepted in school. In fact, I think he was more readily accepted because he was "different" than say some relocated white kid might have been.

Fast forward about 10-15 years. I do not recognize Columbus as the same place I (thought I) grew up. There has been a fairly rapid and numerable influx of Hispanics. I do not know what the climate or attitude towards them is like in Columbus.

I've been in Columbus since '99 (don't live there now but still am there often enough to be at least a bit educated).

The bold is key, I think. Columbus is a town that is more socially prejudice than racist. As a general picture with exceptions, the town is divided in two - the nuclear, white, upper middle class north of Highway 30, and the more diverse, broken family, more run-down demographics south of Highway 30. It's hard to put into paragraphs, but the town is just snobby. It's not based on race, although if you are a minority the chances are good that you fit into one or more of the social/economic categories that make you "lesser".

Not to mention, without prejudice, that a lot of the town and the inhabitants are just plain trashy. As a kid growing up and flirting between the different demographics, and also as a delivery driver for several years, I've gotten to see the environments and the people all over town and I just don't think there is any getting around the reality that there are a lot of people there resigned to mediocre, misguided and unhealthy lives. The only thing there is more of in Columbus than churches is bars, and they're the only places that get more attendance as well.

It is hard labor for little pay in near atrocious conditions. Trust me when I say "they" aren't taking our jobs. They are simply willing to do jobs that you, I, and most aren't willing or wanting to do. In a generation or 2, they won't be doing them either. Then it will still be the new kids on the block doing them.

Spot on. Without the accidental hiring of illegal immigrants those employers would have to pay much larger salaries . . . because they're tough, tough, jobs.

+1

• 2 months later...

The decision mentioned in knapp's OP was taken to the Supreme Court to request a review, but they aren't going to take it up.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140505/NEWS/140509177

U.S. Supreme Court won't weigh in on Fremont's immigration rules, but city isn't relaxing

Supporters sounded triumphant Monday after the justices let stand an appeals court ruling that the ordinance does not discriminate or violate fair housing regulations. But opponents said they will look to bring fresh lawsuits as authorities implement and enforce the ordinance.

So far, Fremont has spent $186,000 in enforcement costs and legal fees to defend the ordinance. Monday's decision won't end plans to set aside $1.5 million for potential future expenses, Mayor Scott Getzschman said.

“I'm not totally, 100 percent sure that legally it's all said and done,” said Getzschman, who leads the city of 26,000 about 40 miles northwest of Omaha.

Both sides of the contentious issue agreed that Monday's decision could encourage elected officials to push similar housing laws in other cities within the seven central U.S. states that make up the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which issued the Fremont ruling.

I think it is really funny that people have to make every thing into a race thing. This is about ILLEGAL aliens, not race. I think the fact that they want to do something about it is commendable as long as they aren't infringing on the rights of any Legal aliens or citizens. I DO NOT in any way think that Illegal Aliens should get more benefits than I or not pay taxes like I do. If any of them want to stay and live here than become a legal citizen period. It is not a race issue it is a legal issue.

I think it is really funny that people have to make every thing into a race thing. This is about ILLEGAL aliens, not race. I think the fact that they want to do something about it is commendable as long as they aren't infringing on the rights of any Legal aliens or citizens. I DO NOT in any way think that Illegal Aliens should get more benefits than I or not pay taxes like I do. If any of them want to stay and live here than become a legal citizen period. It is not a race issue it is a legal issue.

Uh huh.