NCAA Considers Modifying Targeting and Substitution Rules

Mavric

The NCAA Football Rules Committee proposed an alteration involving the instant-replay review on targeting fouls during its Feb. 11-12 meeting in Indianapolis, which includes the ejection of the player committing the foul along with a 15-yard penalty.

Last season, the targeting rule was implemented and any player committing the penalty would be ejected and his team assessed a 15-yard penalty.

The committee recommended that if the instant replay official rules that a disqualification should not have occurred, and if the targeting foul is not accompanied by another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for targeting should not be enforced.

However, if the targeting foul is committed in conjunction with another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for that personal foul remains. For example, if a player is called for roughing the passer and targeting the head and neck area, but the instant replay official rules that targeting did not occur, the player flagged would remain in the game, but the roughing the passer penalty would still be enforced.

The committee also recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, starting with the 2014 season.

“This rules change is being made to enhance student-athlete safety by guaranteeing a small window for both teams to substitute,” said Calhoun. “As the average number of plays per game has increased, this issue has been discussed with greater frequency by the committee in recent years and we felt like it was time to act in the interests of protecting our student-athletes.”

Under this rule proposal, the offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. If the offense snaps the ball before the play clock reaches 29 seconds, a 5-yard, delay-of-game penalty will be assessed. Under current rules, defensive players are not guaranteed an opportunity to substitute unless the offense substitutes first. This part of the rule will remain in place in scenarios where the play clock starts at 25 seconds.

Full Article

Well, how dumb is it now that they throw a flag for "targeting" review the play, and then say "well, the player isnt ejected, but 15 yard penalty........."

I said after the gator bowl, it's like someone getting pulled over and the cop saying "sir, I clocked you going 50 in a 35, I have to take your liscense away". "But I was going 35". "Let me check my gun................yeah, Youre right. 35. Well, here's a ticket anyway.". Basically the same thing.

• Fire 2

Well, how dumb is it now that they throw a flag for "targeting" review the play, and then say "well, the player isnt ejected, but 15 yard penalty........."

I said after the gator bowl, it's like someone getting pulled over and the cop saying "sir, I clocked you going 50 in a 35, I have to take your liscense away". "But I was going 35". "Let me check my gun................yeah, Youre right. 35. Well, here's a ticket anyway.". Basically the same thing.

Agreed - but like - what I just skimmed through didn't seem a whole lot better.

Agreed - but like - what I just skimmed through didn't seem a whole lot better.

Well, if they-like many other things-would just drop all the stupidass legal talk and just say what they wanna say, it would say "if upon review, it is determined there were no targeting foul, then there would also be NO 15 yard penalty for a personal foul, unless there was another personal foul-i.e. roughing the passer, facemask, late hit, etc-accompanying the play."

Isnt that simple enough.

In ending, I think it is an improvement. If youre not throwing the player out for targeting, then why does the penalty stand?

http://coachingsearc...ion-rule-177119

Apparently, NCAA wants to implement a 10 second pre-snap subsitution rule to allow defenses to substitution players during the first 10 second of the 40 second play clock. The note that the fat pace, no-huddle offense has lead to more plays per game, increasing the risk for player injury.

This rules change is being made to enhance student-athlete safety by guaranteeing a small window for both teams to substitute

As the average number of plays per game has increased, this issue has been discussed with greater frequency by the committee in recent years and we felt like it was time to act in the interests of protecting our student-athletes

However,

The release says no-huddle teams rarely snap the ball within 10 seconds.

If true, how does this new rule reduce plays per game or injury risk?

Also, Bo has said repeated that the game has been skewed toward the offense with the no-huddle, spread teams. Does this rule actually give anything back to the defense? How do you see it impacting the Huskers who run a no-huddle, spread offense and play many teams with the same scheme?

I dont think it will be a huge factor. Its nice to be able to swap out but things could get messy with players coming and going every play like that. Plus if your defense is on a roll and they arent moving the chains much on ya, why swap? I get the concept but Id rather see stamina built up in conditioning to make up for the games faster pace play.

Edited by Mavric
Merged from similar thread.
The release says no-huddle teams rarely snap the ball within 10 seconds.

If true, how does this new rule reduce plays per game or injury risk?

A lot of hurry up teams just hurry up to the line to prevent substitutions. But the ball isn't snapped any quicker really. The QB might spend 10 or 15 seconds evaluating the defense and calling an audible. Meanwhile the clock runs down, and the defense can't get any substitutions made. We do this a lot. I don't think the rule would reduce the number of plays. And I'm not sure how it would reduce injuries.