North Platte Housing Employees Fired For Reporting Tenant with Active Sex Assault Warrant

Mavric

Two employees of the North Platte Housing Authority fired Tuesday after doing what they say was the right thing.

This is a question of morality versus legality.

The pair say they are shocked that they have been fired for turning over a potential tenant with an active warrant for sexual assault of a child to the authorities.

Chris Holley and Laurie Demilt spoke with News 2 Wednesday, a day following their termination.

They believe they did the right thing turning over information to the authorities about a potential tenant that had an active warrant.

Information they obtained following a background check.

Background checks for potential tenants is common practice for the Housing Authority.

They say Director for the Housing Authority, J.D. Bennett did not want the information to come out, Holley and Demilt acted against those wishes and now they are unemployed.

KNOP

I know what you're saying but this probably doesn't fall under whistle-blower laws. I think those more apply to reporting improprieties within your company/organization. This was only reporting something they found out about someone outside through their work. Their boss didn't want it reported and they did anyway.

Why does it not surprise me that this happened in North Platte?

Might be the only town in Nebraska that is worse than Fremont?

If it's not the only worse town, it's on a pretty short list. A short nasty list. :lol:

The worse part about it is if they didn't say anything and this piece of sh#t did something illegal in that place and then was found out to have a sex assault warrant, those people would have been fired for not saying anything. They were doomed either way.

There is no job or price tag worth your morals or piece of mind. Good for them for saying something.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...