Winter Olympic sports

BigRedBuster

I have actually experienced something like downhill. First time I ever skied, took the morning class, skied some greens until lunch, was feeling ok about it even though I couldn't really turn or stop, so thought it was time to hit a blue slope. It was fairly icy spring conditions.....got going so fast I was afraid to even try to turn, know I was doing 50an mph for sure.....skis are just chattering. Well there was a family stopped right in my line on the run, I had to try to turn , ended up spectacularly wiping out, cartwheeled-rolled-finished spinning flat on my stomach. The family comes over to see if I'm ok and they tell me they've been skiing for fifteen years and have never aeen anything like that. I look back up the hill and both my skis are sticking up vertically out of the snow, one back end up and about twenty yards further down the other front end up. I had snow packed in my nose and mouth. Felt like a moron. But I got up and went back up for more.

Yeah, I know downhillers are going much faster and turning and dealing with some jumps, but this was my first day ever skiing. I think hittin 50 in a straight line run probably provided some of the same sensation. Except I was scared shitless and new I was totally out of control.

• Fire 1