so, listening to Sharp and Benning in the morning

74Hunter

How do our expectations compare with the rest of college football outside of Alabama? Do we want to be back to that level or not? Money plays a big part in championships now. We gotta do more, regardless of the coach. A lot more.

I'll set my sights on winning the conference first, since we've yet to do that in Pelini's tenure. So, how do we compare to the rest of the conference? This is a genuine question, I don't know the answer or care to spend the time needed to find out. But since everyone is complaining about our lack of recruiting staff members as compared to one specific school, I thought I'd ask about the schools we actually compete with on the field.

You pretty much made my point for me. Even if we're on par with the programs we're actually competing with, is it enough?

Since we aren't winning the conference, something isn't enough.... is it the lack of recruiting staff or the head coach missing something?

How do our expectations compare with the rest of college football outside of Alabama? Do we want to be back to that level or not? Money plays a big part in championships now. We gotta do more, regardless of the coach. A lot more.

I'll set my sights on winning the conference first, since we've yet to do that in Pelini's tenure. So, how do we compare to the rest of the conference? This is a genuine question, I don't know the answer or care to spend the time needed to find out. But since everyone is complaining about our lack of recruiting staff members as compared to one specific school, I thought I'd ask about the schools we actually compete with on the field.

You pretty much made my point for me. Even if we're on par with the programs we're actually competing with, is it enough?

Since we aren't winning the conference, something isn't enough.... is it the lack of recruiting staff or the head coach missing something?

every little bit helps. Maybe some extra guys to take that load off the recruiting aspect would allow more time for game prep and so on and so on. Pretty simple really. But I guess, since our coach isnt up to snuff in the eyes of many, lets just continue undermining his ass instead of providing the no holds-barred support that they need until the wheels fall off and we can get someone better.

• Fire 2

. . . we're way behind the tide (literally and figuratively) here.

I have little doubt that we lag behind Alabama . . . but I think that's probably true for 99% of the schools in the NCAA. We shouldn't have to equal Alabama's excesses to beat the Minnesotas of the world.

We were in the 90's what Alabama is now. How did that end? The others got with the program. They caught up. Now we need to do the catching up. Yes, everyone's behind Bama. Not everyone has the ability and resources to catch up. We're one that does.

every little bit helps. Maybe some extra guys to take that load off the recruiting aspect would allow more time for game prep and so on and so on. Pretty simple really. But I guess, since our coach isnt up to snuff in the eyes of many, lets just continue undermining his ass instead of providing the no holds-barred support that they need until the wheels fall off and we can get someone better.

That's my point right there. Are we "undermining his ass" if we are providing him with equivalent to greater support than the rest of the coaches in the conference get? Before you go off on this narrative of the big bad "administration" that is "undermining" poor coach Pelini, you should back up your position with relevant facts. I'm open to having my mind changed... but narrowly focusing on Alabama isn't enough for me. Show me Illinois is doing more, or Michigan, or Michigan State. Then lets talk. Until then, spare me the Pelini pity party, because you don't even know that the administration is actually "undermining his ass".

• Fire 1

I have little doubt that we lag behind Alabama . . . but I think that's probably true for 99% of the schools in the NCAA. We shouldn't have to equal Alabama's excesses to beat the Minnesotas of the world.

We were in the 90's what Alabama is now. How did that end? The others got with the program. They caught up. Now we need to do the catching up. Yes, everyone's behind Bama. Not everyone has the ability and resources to catch up. We're one that does.

We do need to catch up. There's one area where Bama has an enormous lead but it isn't recruiting resources.

That's my point right there. Are we "undermining his ass" if we are providing him with equivalent to greater support than the rest of the coaches in the conference get? Before you go off on this narrative of the big bad "administration" that is "undermining" poor coach Pelini, you should back up your position with relevant facts. I'm open to having my mind changed... but narrowly focusing on Alabama isn't enough for me. Show me Illinois is doing more, or Michigan, or Michigan State. Then lets talk. Until then, spare me the Pelini pity party, because you don't even know that the administration is actually "undermining his ass".

Kudos to you. You caught me. No I dont really think theyre undermining him, and no this is not a pityparty. I exaggerate and use some excessive descriptions to support my point. And I'm not trying to change your mind. And I'm too lazy to provide facts. Just what I've heard. That's the best I can do. So meet me halfway. Are they doing all they can do, which quite frankly what is required? No. not even close. But Illinois? Michigan St? LOL. Aint we f'ing Nebraska? Aint we entitled to better? At least that's what I read on here all the time. We should be better. We should not be doing just as much as Illinois and Mich St. Michigan I can understand.

Kudos to you. You caught me. No I dont really think theyre undermining him, and no this is not a pityparty. I exaggerate and use some excessive descriptions to support my point. And I'm not trying to change your mind. And I'm too lazy to provide facts. Just what I've heard. That's the best I can do. So meet me halfway. Are they doing all they can do, which quite frankly what is required? No. not even close. But Illinois? Michigan St? LOL. Aint we f'ing Nebraska? Aint we entitled to better? At least that's what I read on here all the time. We should be better. We should not be doing just as much as Illinois and Mich St. Michigan I can understand.

Michigan State won the conference and the Rose Bowl. LOL at them all you want, but yes, we are striving to catch MSU. So, it is a valid comparison.

I do think people tracked part of what Nebraska was doing and tried to use that to be successful. But, we can't downplay or ignore the fact that our decline also coincided with one of the greatest head coaches in the history of the sport stepping down. And while T.O. often doesn't get enough kudos for some of the recruiting work he did, I'm a firm believer that his coaching and the tenured system he had in place is largely what led to our success. The more players he could have on a team helped a little, too. But, for the most part, I believe it was him and the process he put in place here.

That said, recruiting appears to be much more of a challenge today than it ever was in the past. If it's true that schools (like Alabama) are using handfuls of people to help the recruiting process, and it's helping them out, then I don't see why Nebraska shouldn't be able to find ways to make this work here. But, I don't want it to come at the expense of Pelini being shady and creating executive administrative assistant assistant to the assistant positions just to get it done. I'll have to look more into what other schools devote to recruiting because honestly, it's not something I know much about. But, hypothetically speaking, if recruiting really is turning this way and we have the resources to keep us in the game and do it the right way, I say go for it.

Michigan State won the conference and the Rose Bowl. LOL at them all you want, but yes, we are striving to catch MSU. So, it is a valid comparison.

I think.........you're missing what is actually being discussed. And, does one year build a program? Is our program currently in a more elite status than Georgia? Is Minnesota's program top to bottom providing better resources than ours? Let's not use one game or one season to determine the direction of particular programs here. Michigan St has had a some success lately, but in regards to resources, money, facilities, all those intangibles, I would bet they are not ahead of Nebraska. And shouldnt be. And if they are, as you say they are, well then, I guess that pretty much sums up the whole discussion. But we should be a ways ahead of them. Just my opinion.

• Fire 1

I used the recruiting staff as an example and I think it was taken as my whole argument. my general point is that we're not doing all we can do as an administration-whether it be from a university or solely AD stanpoint-to support the football program and the current staff. i dont really think it's some conspiracal undermining like I stated earlier. Maybe it's complacency. Maybe it's just straight up incompetence. i dont know. What I have heard was a pretty wide consensus at that regents meeting a few weeks back. I think the term was "more to support the flagship". It was put out here by daskers. So I did some asking of my own and found out pretty much the same thing. The efforts are being made now, but recently, there hasnt even been close as much support as there shoulda been. I dont know the reasons and dont care, but there needs to be more. Especially if the money is there. And it is.

I was joking just this morning with my boss about Tim Miles. I says "we're gonna have to start thinkin about ponyin up some dough here shortly if we wanna keep him the way he's goin". He tells me "oh, the money's there. dont worry about that. It always has been. We just need to get someone in charge that'll sign the damn checks."

I used the recruiting staff as an example and I think it was taken as my whole argument. my general point is that we're not doing all we can do as an administration-whether it be from a university or solely AD stanpoint-to support the football program and the current staff. i dont really think it's some conspiracal undermining like I stated earlier. Maybe it's complacency. Maybe it's just straight up incompetence. i dont know. What I have heard was a pretty wide consensus at that regents meeting a few weeks back. I think the term was "more to support the flagship". It was put out here by daskers. So I did some asking of my own and found out pretty much the same thing. The efforts are being made now, but recently, there hasnt even been close as much support as there shoulda been. I dont know the reasons and dont care, but there needs to be more. Especially if the money is there. And it is.

I was joking just this morning with my boss about Tim Miles. I says "we're gonna have to start thinkin about ponyin up some dough here shortly if we wanna keep him the way he's goin". He tells me "oh, the money's there. dont worry about that. It always has been. We just need to get someone in charge that'll sign the damn checks."

Meh. Regents are politicians, nothing more. Their opinions change with the winds. No disrespect intended towards you, I just don't put too much stock in what they have to say.

I think that everyone who is whining about Bo and the rest of the coaching staff really need to listen to Damon and Sipple, a couple of guys who know more than the average fan, talk about the fans' wish list for coaches, the reality of our situation and how Nebraska is looked at by those in the coaching ranks.

You lost me on Sipple. He's the biggest blow-hard, regardless who the coach is at Nebraska. This is the same guy who defended Callahan, up to the last minute & openly admits he will support whoever is the head coach of Nebraska. Sipp doesn't belong in the same sentence as Benning.